shaaaboobles

my subs sound like poo

I am very supprised that noone has mentioned his electrical. Stock electric with a sax 1500?!? I almost garantee that is the problem. You probably have a huge voltage drop. Did you do the big three? 1/0 awg powerwire? If you dident, I highly recomend you do

OP stated his voltage doesn't drop below 12.5v, it's not perfect but doesn't sound like his problem. But he did state he set his gains by dmm which isn't very accurate, I'm curious too if its just the hu.

OP, plug your ipod directly into the amp, using 3.5mm to rca cable. This will bypass your headunit and rule it out or not.

Edited by stefanhinote

where could I buy one of those ipod to rca things, and how much are they?

And no my subs are like 3-4 inches behind my seat

and my lpf and hpf are both probly off since my tunings so much higher than what I thought

Edited by shaaaboobles

wal-mart like $5 bucks rca's on one end headphone jack on the other end.

btw turn down the volume on the ipod before u start the vehicle lol

fissdenclosure.png

made this enclosure in torre's calculator its 4 cubic feet tuned to 33Hz after sub/port/bracing/double baffle displacement idk if it helps but atleast i tried lol

Edited by Pepelepú

Is there a high-pass filter (subsonic) that might be too high? Also, how high are you turning the volume on the jensen? If you aren't getting enough rca voltage, you might not be turning the volume up enough on the headunit.

and my lpf and hpf are both probly off since my tunings so much higher than what I thought

Uh, you need to have those on. lowpass at 80, subsonic at 33-35 with that tuning frequency. Try that.

Uh, you need to have those on. lowpass at 80, subsonic at 33-35 with that tuning frequency. Try that.

I dont mean there actually off lol, I mean there off of what they should be

Is there a high-pass filter (subsonic) that might be too high? Also, how high are you turning the volume on the jensen? If you aren't getting enough rca voltage, you might not be turning the volume up enough on the headunit.

To set the gain I turn it up 3/4 of the way, just like all the tutorials say

Who ever said my subs were wired wrong was 100% correct, I just fixed it and now it sounds 110% better

:drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

Multiple people suggested checking your wiring and you stated you were positive it was correct :P

I'm glad it sounds good now, easy fix ftw :)

Well, glad to hear that it's working now. It's easier than a lot of people think to get a wire wrong when you have multiple, multiple voice coil subs, which is why it's mentioned almost every time someone posts a problem like this.

Another update...

I got the ipod to rca thing and tried setting with my gain with that and it would go all the way up past 60 volts on the output so it is my headunit putting out a really low voltage.

Time to get a pioneer :fing34:

Another update...

I got the ipod to rca thing and tried setting with my gain with that and it would go all the way up past 60 volts on the output so it is my headunit putting out a really low voltage.

60v is way too high, if your doing it by a dmm... then it should be around 38v

sqrt(1ohmX1500)

Try 38v and see how that sounds, may have to adjust it more or less.

Ya I know I have to set it to 38, the problem was with my head unit I couldn't even to get it to put out 38 volts without turning the gain all the way up

As long as it's matched correctly and not clipping then it doesn't matter if the gain is set 1/10 or 9/10

As long as it's matched correctly and not clipping then it doesn't matter if the gain is set 1/10 or 9/10

While this is true, it also allows for EMI/RFI introduction. Such noise can sound like shit. That is why you see such high pre-out voltages, they actually lower the noise floor. Back in the day with 1/2 volt preouts we had tons of noise issues. That is why old timers swear you have to run the RCAs up the opposite side of the car as your power and remotes. I still cringe when I bundle my RCAs and power wires nowadays... but I know if I do that and have noise introduction I need to fix my ground... Prevents you from melting your terminals ;)

While this is true, it also allows for EMI/RFI introduction. Such noise can sound like shit. That is why you see such high pre-out voltages, they actually lower the noise floor. Back in the day with 1/2 volt preouts we had tons of noise issues. That is why old timers swear you have to run the RCAs up the opposite side of the car as your power and remotes. I still cringe when I bundle my RCAs and power wires nowadays... but I know if I do that and have noise introduction I need to fix my ground... Prevents you from melting your terminals ;)

Good point, the rcas we have now, do they have better shielding then the old ones?

I ran my rcas on the opposite side of power so I've never had any noise issues and can't say that moving it to the power side will/will not introduce any noise in my case.

Good point, the rcas we have now, do they have better shielding then the old ones?

I ran my rcas on the opposite side of power so I've never had any noise issues and can't say that moving it to the power side will/will not introduce any noise in my case.

The shielding is a marketing gimmick.

Another update...

Yes! Dump that Jensen! I just pulled mine and installed my new Kenwood today. To bad my amp took a shit right after. Even without the subs the sound quality is much better.

@Duran was skeptical about that.

@teampapi glad a simple swap out improved sq :P

I have always liked my Alpine headunits. Glad to hear your subs dont sound like 'poo' anymore!

Edited by raolito