padoras_box

Here to Learn

Hello.

I joined this site as a favour to my husband. He is always talking to me about car audio this and that and I will be honest. I only understand about half of what he is saying. I have spent the last few months reading threads and information from his account, but when i ask questions i get more confused that before I asked.

I really want to be a part of his hobby, and want to understand so maybe i can climb up the helper ladder from "go find my the square screwdriver" to "help me sauder this wires".

I sort of understand ohm's, how to build a box(help with that lots), i understand how cars themselves work(i have been a car fanatic since i could walk) but amplifiers, and how to wire speakers, sub and how to bridge and all the technical stuff that can make or break a stereo, really confuse me.

I am not asking for people to spend hours telling me and I don't think they would anyway. But I would ask that if I ask a question not to treat me like a newbie girl, I'm not stupid just very confused. My husband does not always understand that.

Thank you for reading this long post.

Welcome to the site.

welcome to the site an there are other forums ( www.*****.com , caraudio.com , caraudioclassifieds ) besides this one also so there is more then enough for u to learn all u have to do is ask an im sure most of us will be willing to help you

welcome to the site an there are other forums ( www.*****.com , caraudio.com , caraudioclassifieds ) besides this one also so there is more then enough for u to learn all u have to do is ask an im sure most of us will be willing to help you

thanks everyone. He tries to explain but he isn't good with explaining.

lol he probably dont go into enough detail for you or take his time trying to explain it

:wavey5:

Welcome

Well the question i have tried asking so many times and still don't understand is about ohms.

What are ohms?

what does it mean when something a #ohms stable?

He tried showing me the wiring diagrams that are all over this site but I have never understood schematic diagrams. :puzzled:

A unit of electrical resistance: the SI unit of electrical resistance, equal to the resistance between two points on a conductor when a potential difference of 1 volt produces a current of 1 ampere.

Symbol Ω

yes it does thats were i go for my diagrams when wiring my subs its so easy to read an understand

A unit of electrical resistance: the SI unit of electrical resistance, equal to the resistance between two points on a conductor when a potential difference of 1 volt produces a current of 1 ampere.

Symbol Ω

so, as girly as this will sound.

ohm measure basically how hard it is for an electrical current to travel through conductive material. right?

Symbol Ω

ohm measure basically how hard it is for an electrical current to travel through conductive material. right?

yes :)

That's why depending on how speakers are wired, parallel vs series they put a different amount of resistance in the circuit to the amp. Less resistance = more power, but if the amp can't handle the lower resistance then there's a chance of it frying :P

Edited by stefanhinote

Symbol Ω

yes :)

:fing34:

I don't know how far you want to go into the audio world, and this may be overkill, but reading a physics would shed some light on how everything electrically and even acoustically works.

You'd definitely be able to "connect the dots" on a lot of subjects :P

yup u nailed it girl see ur already catching on

if i wanted to post a picture to try and show something how do i do that?

Upload the picture somewhere, for instance imageshack.us

Copy the url link and make a new post here on ssa, when typing in the box click on the icon that looks like an image. If you hover over it it'll say "image" then just paste url in there and that's it

Your husband sounds like a lucky man :P

Perhaps you should put a system in your car, all on your own, that would be a good way to learn, and you'd have something to show for it and it'll sound good too :D

<a  href=circuit2.png' alt='circuit2.png]'> Edited by pandoras box

Your husband sounds like a lucky man :P

Perhaps you should put a system in your car, all on your own, that would be a good way to learn, and you'd have something to show for it and it'll sound good too :D

we did my speakers together after i blew them, all of them. But thats different. It was way easier.

<a  href=circuit2.png' alt='circuit2.png]'>

i am having some serious picture issues so instead ill just try to explain what i think.

A parallel circuit is positive to positive on one side and negative to negative and then those are attached to ends on something right?

circuit2.png

I fixed your pic! :drink40:

Make sure this is before the pic [ I M G ]

And this is after the pic [ / I M G ]

(no spaces between the letters...) I had to space it or it wouldn't read it in my post.

Or it won't display the pic...

Parallel means running next to (simple terms)

Series means in a line (simple terms)

So the example on the left appears to be parallel.

and the one on the right appears to be a series.

Series is pos. to neg. - pos. to neg. and so on.......

Parallel is everything keeps it's marking....All pos. are pos. and all neg. are neg.

thank you for fixing my picture. I know it sucks my computer design doesnt deal with paint. anyway so i had the picture right then.

so what does it mean to bridge an amp?