padoras_box

Here to Learn

Well,

On most amps you're kinda combining the power from the left and right channels.

i.e. The left channel's pos. wire to the sub/s, and the neg. from the right channel would be used as the neg for the sub/s.

Now, on a lot of amps there is a switch for mono/stereo in order to bridge the amp.

Some amps are designed to sense it automatically.

This is also where you can get yourself into trouble due to ohm loads.

If the ohm load it too low for the amps recommendations then you'll either trip the protection circuit on the amp

or you may over heat the amp causing severe internal failure.

My husband was talking about wiring his amp to 1 ohm stable. So if ohms are the measure of resistance how can amp be wired to work with different resistances.

Well,

On most amps you're kinda combining the power from the left and right channels.

i.e. The left channel's pos. wire to the sub/s, and the neg. from the right channel would be used as the neg for the sub/s.

Now, on a lot of amps there is a switch for mono/stereo in order to bridge the amp.

Some amps are designed to sense it automatically.

This is also where you can get yourself into trouble due to ohm loads.

If the ohm load it too low for the amps recommendations then you'll either trip the protection circuit on the amp

or you may over heat the amp causing severe internal failure.

ya my husband blew his first amp. poor thing didnt stand a chance but he said it was because there wasnt enough power going to it from the altenator. his altenator had to be replaced because well it smelled bad, and was really broken.

i sure at least one of you knows my husband from this site, in fact i have read alot of the information you have given him, so thats why i figured this was a good place to go to figure out what he is talking about.

whats his name on here an like he said he wanted to have a 1 ohm load that mean if he has one sub that is 1 ohm an its a dual voice coil sub ( it will have 2 pos an 2 neg) u would wire pos to neg on one side an the other side pos to pos on the amp an neg to neg on the amp now if he has 2 subs that are dual voice coil he would wire them together to make his final load 1ohm which the12volt.com can show in there diagram of what the looks like

It's the subs voice coils and the way they are wire that'll decide the ohm load.

Example:

A single sub, dual 2 ohm voice coils, can either be wire to a 1 ohm load by running the coils in a series.

Or, it can be wired to a 4 ohm load by running the coils parallel.

Here's a link that's widely used around here that helps to understand wiring subs differently:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

whats his name on here an like he said he wanted to have a 1 ohm load that mean if he has one sub that is 1 ohm an its a dual voice coil sub ( it will have 2 pos an 2 neg) u would wire pos to neg on one side an the other side pos to pos on the amp an neg to neg on the amp now if he has 2 subs that are dual voice coil he would wire them together to make his final load 1ohm which the12volt.com can show in there diagram of what the looks like

well since i don't want him knowing that i am here quite yet, i want to surprise him with all my new found knowledge, i will tell you, but in private message only, if that ok(i know it sounds childish but i'm sick of being treated like i know nothing) and he just got on of the fi 12 inch btl(i think thats it name) i am sorry if it wrong anyway and he got a new amp by sa2-2000d(thats what the box says) and it was heavy

well since i don't want him knowing that i am here quite yet, i want to surprise him with all my new found knowledge, i will tell you, but in private message only, if that ok(i know it sounds childish but i'm sick of being treated like i know nothing) and he just got on of the fi 12 inch btl(i think thats it name) i am sorry if it wrong anyway and he got a new amp by sa2-2000d(thats what the box says) and it was heavy

You are awesome.

You are awesome.

i agree :fing34:

You are awesome.

why am i so awesome?

ya thats cool just private message me when ever or ne one else on here if u need ne thing

You are awesome.

why am i so awesome?

Not very many wives, girlfriends, mistresses, etc would go this far to learn something that interests their husband. I just think that you taking initiative to learn all this is really cool.

You are awesome.

why am i so awesome?

Not very many wives, girlfriends, mistresses, etc would go this far to learn something that interests their husband. I just think that you taking initiative to learn all this is really cool.

well ya he is trying to learn how to shoot archery so he can come hunting with my family and i, so i figured i would try to learn this so we have a summer hobby together. and he is horrible, but he is trying and i understand how hard it is to learn something that is completely foreign.

You are awesome.

why am i so awesome?

well ya he is trying to learn how to shoot archery so he can come hunting with my family and i, so i figured i would try to learn this so we have a summer hobby together. and he is horrible, but he is trying and i understand how hard it is to learn something that is completely foreign.

Well that's cool for the both of you :P He picked the right place to learn about car audio too :fing34:

u got a pm an yea my im helping my girl learn this stuff as well so an shes understanding it but a lil at a time but thats more then nothing right

My parents could give a s*** about car audio :P

But that's fine with me :)

u got a pm an yea my im helping my girl learn this stuff as well so an shes understanding it but a lil at a time but thats more then nothing right

ya but when she asks the same question over again it doesnt mean she doesnt get it, she just might need to hear it in a diferent way, try explaining thing differently instead of saying the same thing over agin.

oh i do i give her alot of detail an usually when shes asking about something i tell her the good an bads to what ever she is asking did u get my pm

My parents could give a s*** about car audio :P

But that's fine with me :)

ya my dad and i restored a corvette stingray '71. so i love cars.especilly that one. but its not mine.

nice how long u guys work on that car

well technically its not done yet. But i got married and moved out so now my brother and my dad are finishing it, we started when i was 13. My dad is only home for like 1 week every 6 weeks, so working on it . The motor is working, almost all the parts are still original. The interior is black leather, with white accents.

The stuff i didnt get to do was paint the outside and help install the engine. But school is more important than any car so i dont mind.

Sometimes too much detail is the problem at my house.

My wife just wants the cliff's notes version. I know she really don't give a shit, but if I dumb it down she pretends to listen. lol

Oh and edit to add, welcome to the forum.

Sometimes too much detail is the problem at my house.

My wife just wants the cliff's notes version. I know she really don't give a shit, but if I dumb it down she pretends to listen. lol

Oh and edit to add, welcome to the forum.

[/q

thanks i having fun so far. Just wait to he finds out that i care omg he is going to die. I have tried for so long to understand and watch. But i just dont like sitting there and getting the "your three and have no idea what big words mean" so i am learning on my own.

ya like do a huge install or something in ur car with out him knowing then one day just show him an when he asks who did this for u be like i did haha