DeezyDee

Sealing off the trunk

Howdy everyone,

I am looking to seal off the trunk of myv 06 impala. The box was facing towarda the rear (port/sub) facing towards the trunk hatch. But now were trying to flip it facing in.

ATM I'm running 1 15inch fI bl by a 1000d sundown.

I want to thrown another 1000 and strap it but from research I might have option other then Ronaldo get a btl.

But for the moment, for now, I want to flip the box around.

I could use some tips. Or a link robs tutoral, thanks

Are you trying to seal the trunk with the sub facing forward? If so screw filler panels to the box that fit tight between the box and car.

Are you trying to seal the trunk with the sub facing forward? If so screw filler panels to the box that fit tight between the box and car.

I have the box facing towards the car (cabin) and trying to seal off the trunk... I have been researching what to do... It seems to come up use 3/4 inch plywood and expanding foam... I just bought 50 ft of Sound Deadening, so I will use that all over the wood to stop air flow... Sound about right?

My last set-up I just mounted the box to the trunk floor and then made side panels that screwed to the side of the box. I also had to make a filler along the bottom of the box. I wraped the filler panels with matching felt and called it good.

My setup now I did about the same thing only I used the expanding foam.

IF you are just trying it out I woundn't do any foam, just get the box and side panels as tight as possible. DON"T waste any sound deadener on it.

med_gallery_10399_356_60973.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_107138.jpgmed_gallery_10399_356_103663.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_532807.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_707474.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_779651.jpg

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

nice installs J-Roadtatts : soooo clean!!!

I must show these pics to a friend of mine : will give him ideas for future installs in trunk cars.

The one with the Alpine was a pre built enclosure. I just put a few spacers on the back of the box (1x4 across top and bottom) and put a false back wall on the box, this made running and hidding wires easy also.

med_gallery_10399_356_143345.jpg

I was always going to use these boards as a template for a cleaner false wall but never was quite happy everything SO it just became temperary.

med_gallery_10399_356_55254.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_51784.jpgmed_gallery_10399_356_10325.jpg

I DID NOT use any foam with this setup, just really tight fits around the front. the box had a 2x4 under the back edge and a 1x4 under the front to get it level in the trunk and as tall as the opening. I cut the 2x4 the width of the trunk and screwed it to the bottom of the box before put the box in the trunk. This made screwing the box to the trunk floor real easy and gave me a leadger along the bottom to screw my false wall to. I just creased the original floor so it hindged along the back of the box.

On the BTL, thats a whole nother story.....check out my build log, its long though so just skim the pictures.

If you seal your trunk does that mean you have to keep your seats down? And what are the advantages/disadvantages?

At full tilt, I listen with the seat down. I will say I gain 3db with the seat down. At lower volumes there is little to no audible difference between seat placement.