onebadmonte

Infinitely Baffled The Do-Over. :P

i think you crossed the point where the equipment is now worth more then the car! congrats haha

Haha. Isn't that the point? :P Thanks

Niceeeee :popcorn:I wish I was that good..

Thanks. I'm just small time here. Thanks goes out to all the heavy hitters and the inspirational work that they've shared.

I've got some work done on the speaker pods I'll be using. Here is what I have so far.

Here is the basic shape. I've got the stack screwed together. I'll use a drill press to drill the mounting holes and the center pin hole for the jasper jig. Having all four pieces screwed together ensures all the holes will line up when I glue the pieces together.

DSC02395.jpg

Here is a piece ready for the mounting hole to be cut with the jasper jig. The mounting hole is 7" in diameter.

DSC02440.jpg

Since all the holes are the same I was able to hold down the piece by screwing in down on to the table from underneath the table.

DSC02441.jpg

Here are the pieces on my art table. :P

DSC02442.jpg

This is a close up of the top of the pod assembly. The angle cut in the corner is to clear the bottom of the dash. The slot towards the bottom will capture the door panel. Hopefully this will make for a clean install. The profile is a bit rough, but it'll finish up with some sanding and filler.

DSC02444.jpg

Here is my craigslist pick up of the week. $30, but from the looks of the base this saw was pulled from the bottom of the Mississippi. I recommend one if you get the chance to get one, be warned though if you've never messed with a bandsaw you'll have hell setting up the blade to track properly on the wheels 1st time around. Be careful. Muahahahaha.

DSC02445.jpg

If you were wondering why I drilled mounting holes through all four parts, here is why. I am using 1/8" drill bits as pins to align all four pieces together for glueing.

DSC02451.jpg

It's finally coming together.

DSC02452.jpg

I used a hydraulic press to keep the parts together while the glue sets. Check it, my Monte Carlo in the back. Yes, I bought into the konaki e-boner. :P

DSC02455.jpg

This is a before and after sanding. I'll use a little filler for the low spots.

DSC02459.jpg

This is the finished product just before painting.

DSC02460.jpg

I'm using a light coat of stone textured paint. I'm hoping for enough texture to match the plastic inside the car.

DSC02464.jpg

The paint has dried. Now it's time for the final touches. Here are some more of those fancy threaded inserts. I'll use some for the woofer and I'll also use some to mount the pod to the door.

DSC02465.jpg

More to come soon. Thanks for looking. :)

So far so good!!! The pods look like they are going to be super solid. Glad to hear you dig the MS-8.

:popcorn:

Thanks fellas.

Today I finish prepping the doors for the pods.

First is the hacking of the sheet metal to clear the woofers magnet. Yes I'm using a jig saw, yes I am latino. :P

DSC02447.jpg

Round. Impressed?

DSC02448.jpg

How about a little carnage?

DSC02446.jpg

Here is the passenger side door prepped with sound deadener and a second skin speaker tweaker kit.

DSC02469.jpg

Up close of the driver side door.

DSC02468.jpg

Up next the finished product. Stay tuned.

Damn, looking real good. Those pods look excellent. This is what I've been wanting to do for the longest. Those 3 jaw pullers come in handy! Keep up the great work.

Damn, looking real good. Those pods look excellent. This is what I've been wanting to do for the longest. Those 3 jaw pullers come in handy! Keep up the great work.

Thanks. Drop me a PM with your number so we can party it up in Austin some time.

i think you crossed the point where the equipment is now worth more then the car! congrats haha

I've past that point a looooong time ago haha.

Hugo, you have a pm.

I always wondered if those speaker tweaker kits where worth it, even made a thread about them a while back but never got a response. What are you going to put into the doors?

I always wondered if those speaker tweaker kits where worth it, even made a thread about them a while back but never got a response. What are you going to put into the doors?

I figure for a ten spot and some change they are worth the try. I picked them up when they were free just pay shipping a few months back. I'll be putting some Peerless oem 8s in the doors. They are the ones I pulled the bucking magnet off a few post back.

Nice progress! Pods looks super solid!

Thanks. I hope this all works and end up with some rocking mid-bass. :)

The day is here. The pods are done and installed. Please save all flaming for the end of the presentation. Thank you for your cooperation.

The driver side door open.

DSC02470.jpg

The driver side door closed.

DSC02471.jpg

Looking up at the pod. Check how the top corner of the pod follows the line under the dash. Clean. :)

DSC02472.jpg

Side shot of the driver side door closed.

DSC02473.jpg

Humanoid model in vehicle. Good clearance.

DSC02475.jpg

Passenger side door open.

DSC02477.jpg

Passenger side door closed.

DSC02480.jpg

Looking up at the passenger side pod. :)

DSC02481.jpg

Alright fellas, lets hear it, don't hold back.

I think the pods look great! The color obviously does not match but eh its hard to match molded plastic when your dealing with wood. Again, great job

I think the pods look great! The color obviously does not match but eh its hard to match molded plastic when your dealing with wood. Again, great job

Thanks. Bummed about the color. I didn't even think about it when I bought the paint. I figured gray is gray, right? Who would have guessed that there would be so many shades of gray in life. ;)

Good job dude, that shit looks really good. I wanted to use Imprint from Alpine, i imagine its kind of the same?

Door pods look nice :)

Good job dude, that shit looks really good. I wanted to use Imprint from Alpine, i imagine its kind of the same?

Door pods look nice :)

Thanks bro.

The alpine is similar. I've got the CDA-9887. I haven't tried the auto tune since I don't have the microphone or software. I've set it up manually but it's a pain. The MS8 makes so easy I doubt I'll ever go back :)

Who cares how it looks. . . How does it sound?

Who cares how it looks. . . How does it sound?

It sounds good. Let me also say I'm only pushing them with 18 watts a piece. Once I get my amps back in I be able to crank them and hear what I've been missing. Currently I've got them crossed from 55Hz to 700Hz at 24db/oct. They are handling it well. I can wait to get my amps in. I just figure out how to mount all those amps, 2 US Acoustics USB-2150 and 2 US Acoustics USB-4085. Each one has a footprint of 16" by 9-1/2" :)

Nice fabrication work! I really enjoyed reading it. Good job.

What happen to the JL's on page 5?

Nice fabrication work! I really enjoyed reading it. Good job.

What happen to the JL's on page 5?

Thanks. I've still got the JL's. I'm not sure on what to do with them. Lol. :)

I got a little work done on the ol creampuff this weekend. My old US Acoustics USB-4085s have made it back into my set up. One of the 4085 is powering the front Powerbass 3-1/2" co-axials and the rear MTX Thunder Axe 5-1/4" components. The other 4085 has been bridged and is powering the Peerless OEM 8" Mid-bass.

These are my crossover settings so-far:

Subs to Mid-Bass crossed at 60Hz at 12db/oct

Mid-Bass to Mid-Range/Highs crossed at 500Hz at 24db/oct

Rears hi-passed at 125Hz at 24db/oct

Putting the amps in really woke up the system. I give the 8s the thumbs up if you have some power to feed them. I've been enjoying stuff like Spoon, REM, and Joan Osborne. At high levels you can feel it in the pant legs. They blend well with the subs. Still have some work to do like up the electrical, but so far I am happy with it. Here are some pics of the amps in place. Please excuse my wiring. Once I have everything worked out I'll make some nice RCAs and clean up the power wires.

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02622.jpg

The crossover adjust-ability the MS8 provides has me spoiled. I am bummed the sub-sonic is limited at the low end to 20Hz. The nice thing is the slope is adjustable from 6db/oct to 24db/oct. Cruising IB style I have the sub sonic filter slope set at 6db/oct. :) The auto tune works like a champ and is very straight forward. The icing on the cake is the Logic7 processing. Turning the Logic7 processing on and having the listening position set to the driver puts the image right in front of the drivers seat. This is amazing from me because the drivers side 3 incher is blocked by the gauge cluster. The gauge cluster and the driver side window funnel the sound right at me. With out the MS8 I would have to bias the balance dramatically to the right speaker to get an even balance. At times I'd be at biased almost 80% to the right. :o The Mid-bass turned out great. Especially for the price, then again to make them work I had to sacrifice the door/door panel. :) Well see how long this last before I up and change it all again. Don't tell the wife I said that. :P Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Good job on this. I really like the door mounted mids, that turned out great. If you clean up the wires in the trunk that would make things look a lot better! Are you pleased with the 18's?

I have only heard IB's once. That was two MTX 15's in a cavalier, it sounded great!

Good job on this. I really like the door mounted mids, that turned out great. If you clean up the wires in the trunk that would make things look a lot better! Are you pleased with the 18's?

I have only heard IB's once. That was two MTX 15's in a cavalier, it sounded great!

Thanks. Pretty soon I'll clean up the wires and make a false floor/beauty trim so all you will see will be the faces of the amps and the MS8. The 18s are sweet. The impedance curve is on the high side so I'm a little underpowered to reach the full output of the subs. If I do go with bigger sub amps it'll kill the SQ, right now everything is balanced.

You have a nice setup there, and very good pics. :popcorn:

Edited by gfhnk