sundownz

Building a Nightshade v.2 Production Unit

A customer ordered four 15s and I am just about done with the first so I took a few pictures along the build process :

CIMG3980.JPG

* Rear triple joint glue and ring - the ring is smaller than the gap and centered so can go down into the gap at extremely high rearward throw.

CIMG3982.JPG

* Close-up of the glue.

CIMG3986.JPG

* Spider pack is pressed with a laser cut steel plate and a Z v.2 motor to ensure good bonding of the glue between the frame and spider layers.

CIMG3987.JPG

CIMG3990.JPG

* Terminals have a locking toothed washer

CIMG3991.JPG

* Soldered - and a dab of glue added to the stud on top of the nut and washer for long term safety.

CIMG3992.JPG

* Special surround glue - dries flexible and won't hurt the surround material.

CIMG3993.JPG

* Finished cone to spider joint.

CIMG3994.JPG

* Top triple joint ring initial placement.

CIMG3995.JPG

* Some glue added.

CIMG3996.JPG

* Final glue bead.

CIMG3997.JPG

* Leads fully encapsulated.

CIMG3998.JPG

* Leads placed into the cone - care taken to allow adequate slack for high excursion.

Suffice to say the NS v.2 is put together quite well.

Obviously this does not cover EVERY step of the process :) But you can get a good idea of what goes into it !

:djparty: very nice. keep up the good work!

Sweet looks TOUGH!

i gotta gettem

nice pics, can wait to see mine in person!

this is like watching how its made, i love it.

Very nice! I like the attention to detail and the quality of the glue joints! Sundown ftw!

By chance are these mine you're building? :woot:

Yep ! I started on the 3rd one today.

Brandon is tied up building a bunch of woofers for Russia so I'm working on yours myself.

Very nice! I like the attention to detail and the quality of the glue joints! Sundown ftw!

We've really spent alot of time on improving glue joints -- it's very critical in this type of woofer. We gained alot of experience with different methods on the v.1 Nightshade -- some worked and some didn't... it was really a huge learning experience in how to make woofers take more abuse.

Also, big thanks in order, I spent some time studying the work of David Moore (FixMySpeaker / PSI) down at SBN and took away some good tips from him -- having built thousands of speakers he was a great resource to learn from. I have alot of respect for Dave and his custom work and refer customers to him often -- and I am very thankful for his advise!