mikecdm

Old Eclipse 88100 DVC

I've had this sub for a few years just sitting in the garage. It has a hole in the rubber surround and one set of terminals broke off. I've attempted to fix both things, but I'm not sure about the enclosure size. It seems that the sub is so old that I can't find any info on it. I wanted to try and make a ported box, but now I'm kind of thinking on just making something around .75ft^3

88100dvc.jpg

It's not recommended for ported enclosures, that is why :)

I kind of assumed that when it only mentioned small sealed box. Prior to finding that page, I was planning on ported. I wanted to see what it could do, but hopefully I'll find out soon. Just need to make a box suited for this sub. It's been sitting for so long and I've never used it. I found it at a friends house when he was moving out and nobody claimed it. Since my Q is dead and I've had no bass for so long, I decided to try and fix this one.

That's actually a really good sub. Built by TC Sounds, based on the TC7 motor.

But as Duran mentioned, not really a ported enclosure subwoofer.

I used to have four of the 88120DVC (12" version of that model).

I still have a pair of 10's, great subs, could never bring myself to sell them. I never ported them, always was happy with them sealed.

I'm running (1)- 88120 dvc off a jl 500/1 in a ported box right now (1.6 cf 32hertz tuned) and it sounds good ported to me.

I've also got (3) 88120 dvc titanium's that I've in the same box driven by a jl 1000/1 and it sounded the same as the aluminum just louder.

I have (2) 8808 dvc as well I was running them in a .75- 1 cf (don't remember for sure) 32 hertz tuned driven by a jl 500/1

Give it a shot both ways you might be surprised.

I used a pencil and paper to find "optimum" volume and ran with it.

>"Advanced Speaker Systems" by Ray Alden

>Vb= 15Vas(Qts)^2.87...................Where Vas = F^3

I've always been a fan of smaller boxes, but damn the port length is long.

I think they're great sounding subs.

here's the T/S parameters if you don't have them already.

Fs.> 26 hz.

Qts.> .47

Vas.> 2.1 > typo in the manual, it says f^2, not cf^3.

spl/w/m. >84.9db

Qes.> .513.

Qms.> 5.6.

Sd.> .0357 m^2

sealed enclosure (recommended) as per the eclipse manual.

1.0 cf> Q .81> f3 40 hz.> Fc 45 hz.> ripple .27 db.

.75 cf > Q. .91> F3 42 hz. > Fc 51 hz. >ripple .74 db.

.5 cf > Q 1.0 > F3 46 hz. >Fc 60 hz. >ripple 1.7 db.

I called eclipse and asked for a recommended ported box size( a long time ago ), they told me it wouldn't sound right and they don't recommend it.

I tried it anyway (had to see for myself) and it sounded the same but with more output.

I believe it has linear spiders not progressive spiders.

Edited by cobra93

Thanks for the info. I think i'm just going to do a sealed box for now. It's a lot easier to make than a ported box and I'm lazy :). It's a shame that this thing has been sitting in my garage for around 2 yrs, with stuff thrown on it and who knows what else.