Sign in to follow this  
Blown JL12W6

Re-coil kit for JL 12 W6 D2 dual 2 ohms voice coil?

Anyone know where I can purchase a re-coil kit for JL12W6 D2 dual 2 ohms voice coil? JL audio doesn't offer any re-coil kit. Also, is it ok if I use any other brands of recoil kit such as, Fi and any other brands that has the same coil resistance and size?

Thanks

If JL won't give you a recone kit, they may not make them. Call a dealer store and ask. If a dealer can't get them either, you're SOL I'm afraid.

Fi or others may be able to recone it, but it won't perform nearly the same because it will be totally differently-spec'd soft parts than what came stock with the sub.

I don't know that JL has ever offered the 12w6 in dual 2ohm? The manual for the original (discontinued) W6 series only lists dual 6ohm, and the new W6v2 is only available in dual 4ohm.

Anyways, to answer your question; No other company is going to stock a direct replacement with original parts for the drivers.

The original W6 series used "off-the-shelf" parts, meaning it would be possible for a company to use identical parts to build a recone kit that is identical to the original parts. In fact, SPL (the brand) built their JWS series, which are clones of the original W6 series, for this reason....the parts are off the shelf and easily accessible.

The newer W6v2 does not use all "off the shelf" parts, so another company would not be able to provide an recone kit that is identical to the original parts. Depending on the different driver dimensions (voice coil diameter, gap width, spider landing diameter, etc), another company such as Fi might be able to recone the driver for you which would give you an operational subwoofer......however unless they were able to meet all of JL's original parts in terms of dimensions and various performance/weight aspects, you will end up with a subwoofer that does not have the same performance as a stock W6v2, and it will not have the patented features of a stock W6v2.

Actually it was dual 4 ohms voice coil, not 2 ohms, but when I measured the coil resistance it reads 3.6 ohms each. Sorry my bad. I hate seeing my JL 12W6 sitting in the corner..:( If Fi can replace the magnet and save the basket for recoil and recone kit that would probably work fine and close to Fi specs. The spider and cones will be useless anyways since it will be torn apart. Thanks for the info.

I'm not even sure why you would try to salvage the basket. By the time you replace the motor and softparts, you might as well just buy a new driver. The basket may limit their ability to fit different parts based on dimensions, clearances and attachment to the motor. If you are going to go to the length of having them replace the motor as well as softparts, just buy a new driver. The basket is a $20 part anyways. Even if they could use the JL basket, by the time you paid for shipping both ways, new softparts and motor, you would probably be money ahead to just buy a Fi driver.

I believe if you send the driver to JL they can recone it for you, but it's normally very expensive. And they don't sell any recone kits because I believe when they recone a driver they simply stick it back on the assembly line, have the softparts put in then send it back to you. It's normally around half of MSRP to have JL recone a driver, so you'd probably be looking at $250-$300.

Unless you are willing to spend the $, you probably have nothing but a paperweight on your hands.

What exactly is wrong with your W6v2? Blown voice coil? Torn surround or spider?

I'm not even sure why you would try to salvage the basket. By the time you replace the motor and softparts, you might as well just buy a new driver. The basket may limit their ability to fit different parts based on dimensions, clearances and attachment to the motor. If you are going to go to the length of having them replace the motor as well as softparts, just buy a new driver. The basket is a $20 part anyways. Even if they could use the JL basket, by the time you paid for shipping both ways, new softparts and motor, you would probably be money ahead to just buy a Fi driver.

I believe if you send the driver to JL they can recone it for you, but it's normally very expensive. And they don't sell any recone kits because I believe when they recone a driver they simply stick it back on the assembly line, have the softparts put in then send it back to you. It's normally around half of MSRP to have JL recone a driver, so you'd probably be looking at $250-$300.

Unless you are willing to spend the $, you probably have nothing but a paperweight on your hands.

What exactly is wrong with your W6v2? Blown voice coil? Torn surround or spider?

1 voice coil is blown but the other 1 is still fine. It still plays but sounds shitty on high volume. Yeah, I think the $$$ will be too much just to repair that woofer. Just shipping alone will cost me an arm and a leg. lol!

Thanks

I was thinking of getting a W7 reconed and I contacted fixmyspeaker and they told me they will only use the motor and the rest they will replace including basket. I dont know of any other place that will do them.

I was thinking of getting a W7 reconed and I contacted fixmyspeaker and they told me they will only use the motor and the rest they will replace including basket. I dont know of any other place that will do them.

Thanks. Do they have website?

Thanks. Do they have website?

www.fixmyspeaker.com

Though, again, while you might have an operation driver you won't have an original W6v2. Performance could different significantly depending on what parts are used.