Sign in to follow this  
blackga

aero ports???

how exactly do they work?? i see people use them that usually have limited space but i dont understand why or how they are used. also do they sound any different then a regular slot style ported box? i want to do 2 15" lethal injection's but i would like to get a quick insight on aero ports and how they are used and if they sound worse then slot ported.

The sound is exactly the same, IICRC with aeroports you tend to be able to use less port area then a typical slot port.

The sound is exactly the same, IICRC with aeroports you tend to be able to use less port area then a typical slot port.

Got it! I believe the rule is a 30% to 50% decrease in port area. As you should know, port length is a function of net volume, port area, and tuning frequency. Assuming that net volume and desired tuning frequency are constant, a decrease in port area results in a decrease in port length. This is where the smaller box sizes come in because the non flared port has more port area which translates to more length so it displaces more. The flared port on the other hand has less port area which translates to less length so it displaces less! So smaller overall box with the flared port.

(Keep in mind i didn't say aero port because it is only due to the flare.. nothing special in the plastic :) although the smooth plastic should make the air flow more easily.. The difference in air flow over plastic and mdf should be minuscule; therefore, it doesn't matter. The flare is the key!)

Make sense?

Got it! I believe the rule is a 30% to 50% decrease in port area. As you should know, port length is a function of net volume, port area, and tuning frequency. Assuming that net volume and desired tuning frequency are constant, a decrease in port area results in a decrease in port length. This is where the smaller box sizes come in because the non flared port has more port area which translates to more length so it displaces more. The flared port on the other hand has less port area which translates to less length so it displaces less! So smaller overall box with the flared port.

(Keep in mind i didn't say aero port because it is only due to the flare.. nothing special in the plastic :) although the smooth plastic should make the air flow more easily.. The difference in air flow over plastic and mdf should be minuscule; therefore, it doesn't matter. The flare is the key!)

Make sense?

yes it actually does thank you. so how do i know how many aero ports to use?? is there anything that helps you determine that.

yes it actually does thank you. so how do i know how many aero ports to use?? is there anything that helps you determine that.

Example.. say you want a 4 cuft net volume box... so multiply 4 x 16.. thats 64 square inches of port for the entire box.. multiply this number by .5 and .7.. so you have a range 45 and 32 square inches of FLARED port for the box.. Lets pick 39 because its in the middle of the range. Now.. to figure out how much port area each aero port has.. use the area of a circle is A=pi*r^2.. so the area of a 4 inch aero port is 12.56.. so 3 aero ports would be good for this box because 3x12.56=37.68 and 37.68 is very close to 39!!!

I kind of rushed to explain this.. let me know if you don't understand because the explanation isn't very thorough..

Do a search on this forum, it has been brought up several times before. You'll find much info in old threads.