Sign in to follow this  
I8apony19

My Front stage dilemma

I'm torn between the following choices in amplifiers...

JL 300/2

Audison LRx 2.250

ARC Audio 2100CXL

Linear Power 2.2hv

PPI ART A600

I have been told that my Koda's will take full range..but that's just not floating my boat at this moment..probably cross them at 60ish..so Out with the LP and PPI...

Someone either suggest something new..or help me make up my mind. The only difference with the other 3 is price. With my budget...the ARC and JL will have to be used, while I have a chance to get the Audison at a great price.

Last real difference between the 3 is crossover ability...the JL has 12/24db selectable, while the Audison and ARC have only 12db.

I guess the real question is...do I pay less and get a used ARC or JL, or do I pay more and get the unknown Audison with the warranty??

One very interesting and cool thing to note about the Audison is it's ability to yield 2-3 remote turn on OUTPUTS...very interesting...and perhaps useful to me..

Anyone care to push me in the right direction??

I'll give ya a push............... Right in front of a speeding truck!!! Are you freakin serious???!!!! :+1:

I'll give ya a push............... Right in front of a speeding truck!!! Are you freakin serious???!!!! :+1:

I'll push ya from behind.... :+1:

I am partial to the PPI myself. But I believe that the A600 is an old 2ch amp w/o a crossover. You would need something like an PPI EPX-205, EPX-223 crossover to go with it. As far as crossovers go, I would tend to stick with 24 db/octave slope.

I am going to have to vote ARC, I have not heard the Audison LRx 2.250, and I feel the JL is a little overhyped, but ARCs have always been clean and true amps when i have heard them B)

Actually, the last year of the Art Series, they were available with built in corssovers. The model numbers were different, like A600.2X or something along those lines.

I've run my Kodas full range IB at 100 watts. They took it like a champ down to about 30Hz, but bumpin a sweep I heard them stressing some. They are currently crossed at 50Hz, 12Db/octave. Sub is run at an 18Db slope and 60Hz. This is the first time I have crossed with an overlap and varying slopes. I used to be a straight up 70-80 Hz, 24Db slope. I'm not sure if it is the strength of the mids, and their ability to get crazy low, or the transparency of the Brahma, but this is really the best sound I have found for the car.

What I guess I am getting at (sometimes I get long winded :boink: ) is the slope should not really be a big concern. If they go really low, really easily, a softer slope may work better than you expect. Plus, I have found with the settings as they are now, my woofer has totally dissapeared into the install. The stage was pulled further forward overall as well.

The beauty of the JL is the switchability of the unit. 2 settings for input voltage, and 2 settings for crossover slopes. The settings for voltage are obvious benefits, but the ability to play with the slope and try what I mentioned above is priceless. You never realize how something so simple as that or variable phase capability will affect the system as a whole.

The Arc is nice, but the ability to do so much more with the JL and the lack of required external capacitance both make it the sure winner in this battle of the amps in my eyes.