PhishHead

Component Speaker Questions

So I havent been on in awhile due to work and my amp being muffed up(my fault I think). I will be sending my amp into Sundown this week and while I am waiting to hear back about it I wanted to look into some component sets and I have found myself asking a couple of questions. Right now I have 2 pair of coaxial speakers, both being 6.5. I want to step it up into the big boy world and get a 2 way set to try out. My questions are will I be able to power them with just the head unit or should I look into getting a 2 channel amp? My head unit is the Alpine CDA-9883. Also I didnt know if I would be even better off keeping one set of coaxial speakers and just get two 6.5 mid bass drivers. Was looking at the Tang Band driver. Oh and my car is a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Has anyone had any experience with the Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System? Like I said any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and one last thing. God I cant remember anything......My budget is right around 100 dollars. That doesnt include if I need to get a 2 channel amp. Thanks again in advance.

Jeremy

You won't be able to power much of anything properly off an HU. However, Cadence does have some Zenith series components that are designed for HU power. While I have never heard them, and frankly never really looked at them very much, Cadence does make some seriously loud ass component sets. I have played with several of their older comp sets, and was actually pretty surprized. While I found most of them pretty bright, a little EQ tweaking and they managed to be decent overall... and like I said, they were loud.

Woofersetc has some of the Zeniths, and they fall right within your price range. However, I suggest (if you want a decent front stage) that you save your pennys... maybe 2 or 3 bills, and buy yourself a decent set. I promise, you won't be unhappy if you save the money and take the time to do it right.

Guess I will have to start putting money aside to get this rolling. I am going to keep looking around and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

Sure. For $200 i would look at the ID CTX65CS or the CDT COM626 or the CDT CL61i. If you do opt to save up for a $300 set, you really open up the option for some really fine passive sets, but at least those ~$200 sets will give you some ideas and goals to realize.

Also of note, these are more laid back sets. If you prefer brighter components I could make some suggestions for you. But if you go with sail panel or A-pillar type installations, these tweeters will really brighten up because of window and dashboard refraction.

I was honestly thinking about picking up the Q-Forms Kick Panel. Seems pretty nice. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C6008D6/Q-Forms-Kick-Panel-Enclosures-Ivory.html?tp=404&tab=review. Going to look more into it though.

I have heard things about how they are too flimsy to work well. But on the plus side, I have also heard that with a little FG reinforcement inside they become really great units. I have seen them before, and even had my hands on them after they have been reinforced (never before hand, so I can't say how they feel from the factory), so I can say they fit really well and they are really nice looking.

Those ID CTX are a nice set for the money!

Agree on the Qforms. I am using them now, and they are quite flimsy out the box. A MDF ring and some sound deadener and now they are 3X's as heavy as stock. Yes I agree with SandT, they fit very well and look stock. Now i am only running a 3" mid and the tweeter in mine with my midbass in the door, but they do the job they are designed to do and are nice for the money.

I was honestly thinking about picking up the Q-Forms Kick Panel. Seems pretty nice. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C6008D6/Q-Forms-Kick-Panel-Enclosures-Ivory.html?tp=404&tab=review. Going to look more into it though.

I have heard things about how they are too flimsy to work well. But on the plus side, I have also heard that with a little FG reinforcement inside they become really great units. I have seen them before, and even had my hands on them after they have been reinforced (never before hand, so I can't say how they feel from the factory), so I can say they fit really well and they are really nice looking.

I had heard the same thing but I had heard instead of FG using dynamat or second skin. Kills two birds with one stone.

Those ID CTX are a nice set for the money!

Agree on the Qforms. I am using them now, and they are quite flimsy out the box. A MDF ring and some sound deadener and now they are 3X's as heavy as stock. Yes I agree with SandT, they fit very well and look stock. Now i am only running a 3" mid and the tweeter in mine with my midbass in the door, but they do the job they are designed to do and are nice for the money.

Do you have any pictures of what your kicker panels look like. They did a good job matching the color too?

Is Woofersetc.com a good site to buy from. Has anyone bought anything off of it before?

Whats their price?

I believe SMD has a discount coupon on them and you can look on amazon too.

Is Woofersetc.com a good site to buy from. Has anyone bought anything off of it before?

I have bought a bunch of stuff from them. Nothing but good experiences in dealing with them.

I have bought a bunch of stuff from them. Nothing but good experiences in dealing with them.

Same here, if the item(s) is in stock usually the shipping is scary fast. All but three times I've ordered from them the item(s) shipped same day, and on those 3 times they didn't ship same day cuz the order was placed after 8pm.

FWIW I have also had good luck with sonicelectronix.com as well. Just another inexpensive online store for you to look at. I have bought several head units from them for myself, friends, and customers.