Sign in to follow this  
tripslipfall

So, about setting amplifier gains...

I've noticed, the bass tones usually used to set the gains are 0db, but in most rap songs, bass lines are around -7db to -8db... Some are even lower, especially for other genres.

I recently used -8db tones on my friend's setup, and it got MUCH louder, this was about 4 weeks ago, and everything is still running fine, subwoofer never even gets warm to the touch.

Shouldn't you use -7 to -8db tones for setting RMS power instead of using 0db tones? Because if you think about it, -7 to -8 is the RMS, and 0db would be the "peak" or "max" or whatever you wanna call it (not that it matters).

For those wondering, this is the system I set the gains on:

Amplifier - Sundown SAZ-1000D

Subwoofer - RE Audio SX 10" Dual 2 Ohm Coils

Box - 1.4 Cubic feet, 33hz

Edited by TRiPP3R

I set by ear, don't have to worry about that. But yes, 0db tones are a quite conservative way to set gains.

0db eliminates the possibility of clipping, but as you noted results in the lowest amount of average power output.

Richard Clark and many others have long suggested a -10db test tone to maximize average power output while keeping clipping at reasonable levels. This may be a little on the high side for someone who may be overpowering their drivers or are unable to recognize driver stress. -6db may be a little safer for those folk.