CrzyBone

15 BL port questions

Hi, sorry to cross post. I just put this in the wrong section the first time... :Doh:

This i what i'm working with:

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad Cab

Big 3 upgraded

2- 15" fi BL

2- kicker zx1000.1

3/4" MDF custom center console box with 5.6 cuft of airspace after sub disp, bracing, and port. Would love to have a bigger box, but space is LIMITED.

No divider between subs/ subs share air space

Single Slot Port is 15.5" x 3" and 14.75" long (around 32 hz?)

Subs will be down firing and port will face up.

Definitely SPL

Questions:

1- Are the port dimensions correct for a 32 hz tune? I keep getting different measurements depending on the port calc I use. I think carstereo.com is what I settled on.

2- With the port area only being 46.5 sq in instead of the recommended minimum 67.2, will port noise be a major factor if I flare the ends of my ports?

3- With the port area coming in a little low, will it affect the cooling ability of the subs?

Thanks,

Duke

:edit:

I got a little turned around on the measurements. My port will be 3.5" x 15.5" x 12" long.

Does this come out to 32 hz tuning?

Thanks, Duke

Hi! First off, I want you to know I'm in no way a professional. But I will offer you my best advice :P sooooooooooooo......

1- Are the port dimensions correct for a 32 hz tune? I keep getting different measurements depending on the port calc I use. I think carstereo.com is what I settled on.

I'm almost 100% sure that the dimensions of the whole box itself can change the hz of the tune, along with the port. So with those port dimensions it could vary, for example if your box was 20" wide or 35" wide. I'm pretty certain that the Hz would change.

2- With the port area only being 46.5 sq in instead of the recommended minimum 67.2, will port noise be a major factor if I flare the ends of my ports?

If I understand what you mean by flaring, you should flare the end of your ports all the time to minimize port noise. But you should also try to get up to the minimum of the factory requirement! Add a inch to the wideness of it maybe while making the port length shorter to try and stay around that 32 Hz mark that you want.

3- With the port area coming in a little low, will it affect the cooling ability of the subs?

I'm pretty sure it won't affect the cooling ability of the subs, I mean if you think about it subs that are in sealed boxes have 0 port area.

I hope I helped you! Good luck!

Port length needs to be 14.72" long to achieve 32 Hz. tuning, but you do need a lot more port area.