CadillacMatt

Port area

Hey all

It seems the general consensus is to use 14"-16" or port area per cube for slot ports, and that flared round ports (aka aeroports) are recommended @ 8"-12" per cube...

Now I was thinking about fabricating a port out of Sonotube or the like, and possibly creating some flared ends using fiberglass... What would be a good port area to shoot for? I was figuring if I used a 10" tube that would give me ~78in² Av which for a 6.5ft³ enclosure after displacements nails it right at 12" per cube. For an 18" driver.

Thanks

The port area vs. box volume rule is a myth.

To determain port area needed you need to know linear excursion, Sd and power input. Box volume has little, if nothing, to do with it.

This "Rule of thumb" was made up to keep idiots from using a 1.5" I.D. PVC pipe with 2 18" drivers because they neglected to look at vent velocity with thier modeling program, or the program left that function out....

Additionally, the shape of the vent terminus has little to do with the area needed, unless it is some kind of extreme shape, or in the case of a slot goes beyond about 1:10 ratio of height to width....

Edited by 95Honda

Now I was thinking about fabricating a port out of Sonotube or the like, and possibly creating some flared ends using fiberglass... What would be a good port area to shoot for? I was figuring if I used a 10" tube that would give me ~78in² Av which for a 6.5ft³ enclosure after displacements nails it right at 12" per cube. For an 18" driver.

Thanks

8 inch and 10 inch flares :D

IMG_7562.jpg

10 inch with mounting lip

IMG_7564.jpg

I even have a set of flares for 12 inch pipe which I used for my 18.

We will see next week if there are spl gains going from 8 to 10 inch and 10 inch flared versus non-flared.

Thanks for the input guys

Wow Adrian those are awesome! I just finished glassing my port tube I put some pics up here, your way seems a lot less labor/material intensive but I couldn't find any PVC over 6" at Lowe's OR HD :(

And I'm interested in that data as well, I want to see some numbers :)

Edited by CadillacMatt