idiot

idiot's slimming down build

After a recent break-in, I'm having to rethink/rebuild my subwoofer box and amp rack, as well as replace the equipment. Fortunately my front stage was untouched, so the only change coming is in the rear.

Vehicle:

2004 Toyota Matrix

Equipment (new stuff in red):

Source: Rockford/Denon RFX-8250

Mids: Usher 8945P 7"

Tweets: Peerless 810921 HDS 1" dome

Sub: JBL W12GTi MkII

Enclosure: 1.7 ft.^3 sealed (after sub displacement)

Front amp: Kenwood eXcelon XR-4S

Sub amp: Kenwood eXcelon XR-1S

Processor: Rockford 3sixty.2

My goals for this build are to decrease subwoofer footprint by utilizing the spare tire well for extra airspace in an effort to increase cargo capacity. Hopefully, a smaller box will also reduce the incentive for someone to steal my stuff again, although the extreme mounting depth of the W12GTi means that I can't make the box flush with the floor of my car. Still, my previous box was 3 ft.^3 with a Soundsplinter RL-p15, so this should open up some space that will hopefully end up being usable.

Special thanks to Impious for helping with the equipment selection and giving some DSP tips.

Here is the old build. Amps were under the floorboard.

2vru15l.jpg

DSCF0030.JPG

Here are some progress pics on the new design. Amps/processor will again be under the floor, on the righthand side.

2cepyjn.jpg

t0j5zb.jpg

wkfp5t.jpg

1534jr4.jpg

Looking good, how about some deadening? ;)

Heh, it is kinda asking for it down there isn't it? We'll see what time allows--might be relegated to home depot brand, if at all. I need to finish everything up in the next few weeks before my classes resume.

I'm rethinking my build now thanks to some recent break ins. Good luck with your new one :)

My Spl truck got broken into at a show in Memphis (over night) years ago. I know the feeling. Best of luck.

time to tint your windows!

I've definitely been thinking about this. About how much would it cost?

Depends where you go and what tint you get, at least go to a nice spot and get the lifetime warranty. Anywhere from $100-$150 or better but its summer so shops are running deals plus the economy so they will work with you.

Oh that's not bad at all then... I should definitely have enough left over from the insurance check for some tinting, then.

And on that topic, the first of my many State Farm packages arrived this morning. This one isn't going in my car, but it should fetch a pretty penny if I sell it to my buddy or throw it on ebay. :) The motherload should be coming in a few days.

23lju6r.jpg

Made a little progress over the past few days. Hard to make anything too final without my equipment yet.

Bolted a brace to the chassis so I can screw down my floorboard and make removal of the entire piece a pain in the ass. Might not discourage any thievery/vandalism, but it makes me feel better.

255tkzn.jpg

Clamping some pieces on the bottom. The area on the right is where my amps will be installed. I'm having trouble believing they're as small as the manual claims, but we'll know soon enough...

whz4hd.jpg

Made my circles on the left, and cut out a piece of the floorboard on the right. I'm hoping to install a hinge and leave that section of the floor able to be pulled open for easy access to the amps/processor directly beneath.

2aeo11f.jpg

I'm expecting my equipment to arrive tomorrow, so more exciting pics should be on the horizon.

Looking good so far :drink40: , dont stop working :popcorn:

OMG, it's Christmas morning over here! Thanks, State Farm! :)

I have no need for the Focals or PPI, but I appreciate it all the same. ;)

2ln6yp1.jpg

And this W12GTi is freaking massive!

2cpz7d2.jpg

nqv1ps.jpg

What are you gonna do with the PPI amp and Focal Components?

What are you gonna do with the PPI amp and Focal Components?

One of my buddies mentioned wanting to put a system in his truck, so he'll get a good deal if he's interested. Otherwise they'll go up on the classifieds or ebay.

I've started putting the pieces together now. I've done about as much as I can until my knukonceptz order comes in and I can mock-install all my wiring to determine where everything needs to be mounted. After that I can seal, paint, and carpet everything together. Just a few quick updates until then:

The bottom piece. Equipment gets mounted on the right; the left is part of the sub airspace. The horizontal wooden bar nearer the top of the image is bolted to the chassis and will allow me to drill through the false floor and into a secure mounting point.

dscf1592.jpg

The false floor. The righthand side leaves a removable window to access the equipment mounted below. And yes, miraculously enough, that is enough space for two amps, a processor, and my distribution blocks.

dscf1593.jpg

The subwoofer box. Uses the basement airspace and a little above the floor. 1.7ft.^3 in total, after accounting for the W12GTi. These pieces are not yet attached.

dscf1595.jpg

Equipment window closed. I'll install a rope or something on the underside that will allow this piece to be pulled up at will.

dscf1596p.jpg

The grill frame. I'm waiting on some grill guides from PE, after which time it will be primed/painted and covered in grill cloth.

dscf1599b.jpg

The whole thing. It won't be completely assembled until it's ready to be installed permanently. If the mailman cooperates, that might be as early as this weekend.

dscf1598q.jpg

Alright, got the box assembled, carpeted, and anchored down. :)

Sealant is drying on the box tonight, and I'm waiting on some poly-fill to arrive (of all things) before I can drop in the sub.

Hopefully I'll finish up the wiring tomorrow and at least get the front speakers pumping again. I'll try to snap some pics as well.

Almost there!

Lookin' Good!! Can't wait to see how this comes together. :popcorn:

Ugh, I knew things were going too smoothly! My 3sixty.2 doesn't power up. Will have to exchange it now, which means it may be a few more weeks before everything is finalized. :(

Still, everything is installed regardless. And the amps power up, which is a small mercy I suppose.

I also threw some cloth over an MDF grill frame, just to see how it'd turn out... not sure yet whether I'll keep it in the end or just leave the sub uncovered. Decisions.

dscf1606.jpg

dscf1612jh.jpg

dscf1616.jpg

The wiring is a mess... not sure it's gonna get any better either, lol. Limited space ftw.

dscf1613y.jpg

Great job on the amp cover!! In the one shot you can't even tell it has a sparation for the cover. :fing34:

I haven't gotten my truck broken into, yet.. but when the day comes it will be hard for them to take out my seats and lift the 300 pound box with 200 pounds of speakers in it in the nick of time..

So, if someone does break into it, they will just get upset and ram a screwdriver through the speakers a couple dozen times.

Your build looks good though :) Very clean.

Thanks guys. Going for a stealth-ish install here. :)

I haven't gotten my truck broken into, yet.. but when the day comes it will be hard for them to take out my seats and lift the 300 pound box with 200 pounds of speakers in it in the nick of time..

So, if someone does break into it, they will just get upset and ram a screwdriver through the speakers a couple dozen times.

Your build looks good though :) Very clean.

Yeah well, the floor piece here is bolted to the chassis, so the only way they'd get anything out would be to unscrew the amps or sub individually... or snap a sheet of 3/4" MDF.

Edited by idiot

Great lookin build! Nice craftmanship on your part. Sucks about the 3-Sixty, I had two amps in a row blow on me the first time I turned the vol up past 20 on one build, lol. Took like a month and 1/2 to finish the install ftl.

So State Farm just bought all this stuff, or you bought it with the check they gave you? Just curious as you keep refering to themas State Farm packages.