sundownz

SA Series Coil Cooling Testing

Testing to see how well it keeps the coil temperature down by seeing how much power compression we get.

Quoted from video :

"Testing our new "woofer power test" rig... we have an adjustable voltage knob on the wall socket to get the power level we want. For the first 2 minutes or so we are trying to read on the "power" setting on the clamp but it didn't want to cooperate so I changed over to simply amperage and voltage afterward. At 2:20 we have 11.64A/61.6V for 717 watts... after a full 4 minutes and 45 seconds at 7:05we still have 11.19A so the sub is still seeing 689 watts. So we are seeing VERY little power compression even above rated power on a pure 60 Hz sine wave after 7 full minutes -- which is not even taking advantage of the air cooling as much as a lower frequency."

I'll use this data to examine how my upcoming tweaks to the cooling system work.

Pretty boring video... but I figured people would get mad if I edited it in any way :)

A bit saddened... the brand new Alpine Type-R failed after about 1.5 minutes of the same testing (as close as we could get it anyway).

I'll put the videos up after lunch for that.

Kicker CVX, Audique SDC2.5 among other subs in the same category will be next to be tested right? Keep up the hard work. :drink40:

I'm not planning to test other brand subs at the moment... but I was interested in the Type-R for my own information as I was actually pretty impressed with the design behind it. Still am impressed with the way Alpine worked a one piece frame / shorting ring into it... split magnets are cool too... as is the nice BL curve. But I was let down that it wasn't stronger thermally.

Well here it is... I was very sad that it didn't last longer thermally :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os4TZTpLNSI

"Done to compare with SA-12 results... we dialed in power as close as we could but the Type-R didn't last long. Few samples of actual power applied : 28 seconds = 497 watts / 51 seconds = 667 watts / 1 minute 18 seconds = 717 watts -- woofer didn't last much longer when exposed to a hair over 700 watts. Conclusion... SA-12 coil cooling is more effective."

So it's not a total waste I took some pictures of the Type-R after we blew it... Brandon took the hammer to it before I got many "before" pictures *laughs* It is worth nothing that you cannot remote the Type-R motor from the frame as far as we could tell.

TYPER1.JPG

* Around the edges you can see where air vents to the outside in the slits between the top plate.

TYPER2.JPG

* The special curve on the pole flattens BL

CIMG4096.JPG

* One piece frame / shorting ring assembly... the magnet was busted out to see this... magnet is multiple V shaped pieces.

CIMG4097.JPG

Dang!

Brandon has a hammer fetish for Alpine Motors .... :P

Just goes to show the quality of the SA Series! Sundown FTW!

can i get some info on how the amp can handle being plugged right in the wall?modded? i've been running amps off of psu's for years the biggestone i have only puts out 400w. so my saz1500 shuts it off when gain is about 1/8th-1/4th up. my trans. went out on my car so my baby's(sub/amp) are doing nothing and i wanna run them from my laptop just nothing to power the amp. so please could u or brandon hit me with a p/m?

can i get some info on how the amp can handle being plugged right in the wall?modded? i've been running amps off of psu's for years the biggestone i have only puts out 400w. so my saz1500 shuts it off when gain is about 1/8th-1/4th up. my trans. went out on my car so my baby's(sub/amp) are doing nothing and i wanna run them from my laptop just nothing to power the amp. so please could u or brandon hit me with a p/m?

It's not an amp - that is why :)

We put the guts of a 1500-watt light dimmer inside that case and used the terminals as connections for it.

This way we can adjust the power coming from the wall socket to the woofer.

Jacob, you crazy :)

hmmmmm........interesting......

You guys are my heros, lol. Adjustable wall socket power ftmfw!

Cool story from CES today... I spoke with Jim from Alpine and he worked on both the new Type-R and Type-R shallow drivers; IIRC he designed the majority of both. Very cool guy -- interestingly he was aware of my test and aware of Sundown Audio and our products. Small world ! Talked with him for about an hour and it gives me more respect for Alpine knowing that they actually look at the smaller companies and what we are doing.

I may also re-test the Type-R as Jim also thinks it should have fared better in the test; I also thought it would too based on all the solid engineering. So I'll re-do it at some point to make sure there were no errors.

Cool story from CES today... I spoke with Jim from Alpine and he worked on both the new Type-R and Type-R shallow drivers; IIRC he designed the majority of both. Very cool guy -- interestingly he was aware of my test and aware of Sundown Audio and our products. Small world ! Talked with him for about an hour and it gives me more respect for Alpine knowing that they actually look at the smaller companies and what we are doing.

I may also re-test the Type-R as Jim also thinks it should have fared better in the test; I also thought it would too based on all the solid engineering. So I'll re-do it at some point to make sure there were no errors.

Interesting to see how the new type-r does. Wouldn't mess with the shallow though, I bet it'd take a shit real fast :attempt:

Oh and your setup is literally a woofer cooker :D

Thanks for the new info, would like to see the retest of the New type R also

so is the R's raised rms rating on the newer ones due to the larger coil, but having less cooling then previous models?

so is the R's raised rms rating on the newer ones due to the larger coil, but having less cooling then previous models?

The cooling should be better -- it is well engineered, IMO. It may not function well with low levels of excursion, though. The engineer I spoke with indicated they test with a mix of 30 and 60 hz together so this would generate alot more movement.

The cooling should be better -- it is well engineered, IMO. It may not function well with low levels of excursion, though. The engineer I spoke with indicated they test with a mix of 30 and 60 hz together so this would generate alot more movement.

That's understandable. Hard for forced air cooling to work if no real movement.

That's understandable. Hard for forced air cooling to work if no real movement.

Much harder -- of course the SA does it well and even better with more movement.