slim142

Alpine or Pioneer? Cant Decide...

Hi

So basically Im debating between which brand I should go for. Alpine or Pioneer. This is for a single din head unit. Will mainly run factory speakers (for now) and a single 12inch Pioneer sub.

No, I have not heard a premium Pioneer headunit before. Yeah, some entry level ones and they have sounded good. On the other side, my friend just got installed a CDA-102 and I was astonished by the sound, of course is not fair to compare an entry level pionner to the cda-102 as the 102 is more advanced.

Until today I wanted to go for the CDA-9887 since I plan on changing my factory speakers to Alpine Type X, that way I can keep Alpine all around.

Now the problem comes when inspecting premium units a little closer. The CDA-9887 and the just released DEH-P7200HD.

Both are on the same price range, but the main difference is the year they are been manufactured. While the Alpine already has some time in the market (2007), the Pioneer has just been released (and it has the HD radio built in).

I keep hearing Alpine has lately lowered its quality and these days you pay more for the name. On the other side, I never really heard anything about Pioneer, but the guy from the Tahoe uses one and they constantly upgrade their products, whether its for improving or to have variety, I think its good to implement new technology from time to time. Something Alpine hasnt done since 2007?

What do you guys think?

I bought my alpine 9886 about 6 months ago and i couldn't be happier. I happen to find the quality of the product and the quality of the sound top-notch. Everything seems solid and not cheap. sound is noticeably clearer even with the stock speakers in. Hell, my stock radio didn't even produce some of the noises and instruments in songs that the Alpine now plays clearly. The bio-lite display really does produce about a 90% no glare surface which is fantastic when the sun's out. Ipod connectivity is awesome, just make sure to check the specs to make sure its compatible with yours (it won't charge my girls nano). Menu's are easy to navigate. I happen to think it looks pretty good as well. All in all, i would recommend it to anyone who is considering it. I've been happy about it since day one!

hope that helps!

I bought my alpine 9886 about 6 months ago and i couldn't be happier. I happen to find the quality of the product and the quality of the sound top-notch. Everything seems solid and not cheap. sound is noticeably clearer even with the stock speakers in. Hell, my stock radio didn't even produce some of the noises and instruments in songs that the Alpine now plays clearly. The bio-lite display really does produce about a 90% no glare surface which is fantastic when the sun's out. Ipod connectivity is awesome, just make sure to check the specs to make sure its compatible with yours (it won't charge my girls nano). Menu's are easy to navigate. I happen to think it looks pretty good as well. All in all, i would recommend it to anyone who is considering it. I've been happy about it since day one!

hope that helps!

Thanks for your review!

Really helpful. And yes, my friend who got his CDA-102 installed yesterday is also using stock speakers and the new radio made a day and night difference. There is much more (cleaner and louder) bass and the mids and highs come out clearer. I can imagine your 9886 was just AMAZING when you installed it.

I do like Alpine a lot, but like I said, its been 3 years since 2007 and I dont know how much more improved technology Pioneer placed on their 2010 models or what was developed throughout 2007-2010 that the Alpine unit lacks.

If I can find a good deal on the 9887, Im definitely going for it tho.

Whichever is easier for you to use.

I just got notified by a representative from an online retailer that the 9887 has been discontinued. The CDA-117 has replaced it.

Can somebody please confirm this?

I have compared both of them in the alpine website and what I see strange is that the CDA-117 does not provide this info:

Bass Center Frequency

Bass Width

Bass Level

Treble Center Frequency

Treble Level

Crossover

Does it mean it does not provide them?

Also, the CDA-117 has

5 Band Parametric (63Hz - 17.5KHz, 1/3 oct. Steps)Adjustable level: ƌ to +6 dB Adjustable bandwidth: 1, 1.5, 3 or 7 Band Graphic Adjustable output level: ƌ to +6 dB

While the 9887

5 Band Parametric (20Hz - 20KHz, 1/3 oct. Steps), 7 Band Graphic

Thats all the difference I see for now. They both have the 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC which is what most interests me.

What I dont understand is that I thought the CDA-1xx series was something completely apart from the CDA-98xx series. Did they really use a 1xx to replace a 98xx one? I thought 98xx were the high end ones :puzzled:

Yes the CDA-9887 is discontinued but some stores still have them in stock till they sell out. The CDA-117 will replace both the CDA-9886 and CDA-9887, it has features from both headunits and looses a few features as well from both units.

Yes the CDA-9887 is discontinued but some stores still have them in stock till they sell out. The CDA-117 will replace both the CDA-9886 and CDA-9887, it has features from both headunits and looses a few features as well from both units.

Ok so with your statements some questions arise.

Would you recommend buying a discontinued (9887) product?

Or will it be better to go for the 117?

So far, I have concluded that I wont be getting the Eclipse CD7200 MKII that I thought about for a moment. Interface its not the best and the output power does not justify it.

I think I will stick to Alpine for now, but now the question is, 9887 or 117

Considering you gave no goals or important features your looking for in a headunit it will be hard to make a suggestion for you.

Well my goal (I havent really think about it yet, but in general) we can say is the following (considering HU, speakers and subs):

Have a sound system that has really good quality, its loud, and one that will last (wont get outdated in the next 6 months). Definitely NOT for SPL.

For the HU, I want something with an easy (or simple) user interface, lots of options to control the treble, mids and bass. Options to add more functionalities (but not limited to) HD radio, XM, Sirius, iPod, Bluetooth etc. But more importantly, easy to use with the iPod. Also, that is flexible and reliable to use with amplifiers and components with crossovers.

If I had to quickly decide in a take it or leave it moment, I would prob go for the 117. Will the 9887 be easy to repair or get a warranty if anything happens to it in the future? Would not like to be in that position specially with a discontinued product.

I installed an Alpine CDE-102 in the wifes Escape. It sounds great. Can't wait to actually upgrade the rest of the system to see how it does. I just installed the Alpine CDA-117 last weekend in my Sport-trac and I love it. Very easy to use Ipod/Iphone controls and the EQ's are great. Also has built in time correction but I haven't messed with that yet. Very happy with my decision.

I installed an Alpine CDE-102 in the wifes Escape. It sounds great. Can't wait to actually upgrade the rest of the system to see how it does. I just installed the Alpine CDA-117 last weekend in my Sport-trac and I love it. Very easy to use Ipod/Iphone controls and the EQ's are great. Also has built in time correction but I haven't messed with that yet. Very happy with my decision.

Thanks for that review! The 117 seems like the champ here.

The few reviews on amazon and crutchfield make me feel like I should go for the 117.

However, Im still wondering what jay-cee meant when he said " it has features from both headunits and looses a few features as well from both units".

If I could get a little more information on this I would appreciate. I wouldnt like to miss an important feature, although it doesnt seem like I am since the 117 covers everything Im looking for and when compared to 9887, they are pretty much identical except for what I mentioned above which really is stuff that wont affect me that much (I mean, I dont really need to mess with frequencies from 20Hz to 62Hz in the parametric EQ since I know what happens when you boost too much certain frequencies.... specially in the bass area lol)

Is that your Fox in your avatar? If so, you need to provide more pics and specs! :drink40:

I just read on the diymobileaudio.com that the 117 is a 9886 replacement and NOT the 9887 replacement.

Major feature that is missing is the 3way crossover. May I ask what is this? What do you use it for?

Seems like a lot of people are dissapointed and either will wait for the TRUE 9887 replacement or just stick to the 9887.

What do you guys think?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio-sq-forum/72542-alpine-cda-117-9887-replacement.html

I heard the CDE 105 was the new 9886............. :peepwall:

I heard the CDE 105 was the new 9886............. :peepwall:

Well more than which replaces what, I would like to know more about that 2way/3way crossover stuff.

A lot of people consider it a must-be-present feature, but what exactly it is and what it does I still need to find out.

Unless pioneer has stepped up their game in the past year or so, I'd strongly advise against it. I have an old (6+ years) pioneer head unit in my wifes car (used to be my car) and it was great, even with stock speakers. I'm pretty sure its the DEH-P450MP. Plenty loud, clear and played MP3 discs. 7 years ago, that was a feature!

Well, got a new car 3 years ago and thought I'd try something new. I had a JVC 15 years ago in college that was great, had a nice feature that would store EQ settings with each stored channel. Anyway, while JVC still has ok looking stuff, the quality suffered greatly. I tried to live with it for a year or so, but without an amp, it couldn't hack it. Run the volume at 75% and the speakers would pop uncontrollably, especially if you wanted any bass to come out of them. It would have been similar in spec to the JVC Arsenal KD-A315, but was $180 then. By the way, the one feature I really wanted no longer exists, the storing of the EQ with each radio preset.

Anywho, I decided to try a pioneer head unit, since my other one sounded so good and did what I wanted. Started with a $120 one, sucked, then a $150 one, sucked equally but had more features, then tried a $200 one... also sucked. They were all the DEH line I believe (like the one I already had and liked). The sound was horrible no matter how I adjusted it. I even bought new 6x9's for the front and rear (06 grand marquis), still horrible. All of them sounded exactly the same. I was hoping that as the price went up, so did the amp quality and sound processing quality. It didn't. So I gave up and threw the JVC back in while I decided what to do next. At least it sounded good at a lower volume.

I ended up with a kenwood that has a rear USB that I just impulse bought online. I had listened to a few in stores, but really none of the stores had any I wanted wired in for sound, just for display. I wired it up, turned it on and it was a night and day difference. Great sound, clear, loud and very tight. The only thing it lacks is bass at anything less than 50% volume. I ran it pretty hard for about a 2 years, then the power went out (last year). Just driving along with the volume cranked listening to some metallica and "POOF", dead. Pulled the head unit and wiggled the plug on the back with all the wires and the power would flicker. So, I hooked it up to a power supply in my house with alligator clips on the posts inside the plug on the back of the unit that traced to the power wires and it powered up fine. Turns out that apparently they used too weak of a bullet connector in the wire harness, or they didn't intend on some idiot running the thing at 90% volume for extended periods like me. I tore the radio apart, desoldered the power posts from the board (no small feat without a good iron, silver solder doesn't like to melt), wired in a heavy gauge RCwire set (radio control vehicles, one of my hobbies) and used a high current/low resistance RC plug on a pigtail to bypass the main plug. Has worked just fine every since.

It has quite a few features, the rear USB being my favorite. It has 6 outputs for an amp and a special plug for a kenwood amp or HD radio receiver (or both, I think). Plenty of adjustments for the EQ, crossover bypass built in, amp preout volume control... pretty much a done deal if I ever do get an amp. The USB being on a 3 foot wire on the back is great. Lets me put an 8G flash drive in my glovebox out of harms way or prying eyes.

Alpine :drink40:

Yeah ive decided to go for alpine

Im going to quote something interesting from diymobileaudio

"The CDA-117 is actually more on par with the CDA-9886, in both price and features. It requires IMPRINT to do just about anything beyond balance/fade, and will not do 3-way active. Looks like the 9887 is going to continue to be the most current alpine HU that does what most of us want it to. Hopefully they'll continue selling it until they come out with something that's actually comparable."

One question

If Im going to use (later in the future) amplifiers for all my components, do I really need to bother with the 3way crossover? or can I just go for the 117 since I will use amplifier before signal gets to the components anyways?

Its basically like this

1) better user interface

2) better ipod use

3) included usb cable

4) current 2010 model

Cons

1) more like a 9886 upgrade (instead of 9887)

2) no 3way crossover

1) 3way crossover

Cons

1) saw many reviews with negative reviews regarding ipod control

2) $35 ipod cable

3) discontinued/2007 model

I honestly dont know which model to get. Im not sure and I rather not pull the trigger before I truly know what I want to get. If I can get a killer deal for the 117 from this authorized dealer, I'll most likely go for it.

I used to hate Pioneer, but came across an 880 so cheap I had to buy it. I love it!!!

I've owned far too many Alpine's to count, and their weak point has always been their tuner. That's me only complaint with Alpine.

I used to hate Pioneer, but came across an 880 so cheap I had to buy it. I love it!!!

I've owned far too many Alpine's to count, and their weak point has always been their tuner. That's me only complaint with Alpine.

I dont really listen to much radio, but as long as it works and its clear, its all good.

I honestly dont know what I should go for. I try to balance my thoughts on one receiver, but I cannot figure out which one to go. Really annoyed by now...

So far, I have concluded that I wont be getting the Eclipse CD7200 MKII that I thought about for a moment. Interface its not the best and the output power does not justify it.

I think I will stick to Alpine for now, but now the question is, 9887 or 117

If your conclusion is based on "output power" you are being sorely misled. Interface, that's a different story.

I just read on the diymobileaudio.com that the 117 is a 9886 replacement and NOT the 9887 replacement.

Major feature that is missing is the 3way crossover. May I ask what is this? What do you use it for?

Seems like a lot of people are dissapointed and either will wait for the TRUE 9887 replacement or just stick to the 9887.

What do you guys think?

I think that you should be choosing based on your needs and not theirs. With stock speakers you will NEVER use the 3 way crossover so you shouldn't pay for that feature.

You are going about this the wrong way. There is no better, only better for you. Ask the question based on what fills your needs better. Anyway at this point in time they are all about the same anyways, so just get the one that you like how it operates the best. There will be no acoustic benefit of any of them. ALL of them are way too nice to connect to crappy stock speakers though. And ALL of them really need an amplifier to truly make anything sound good.

The 9886 does NOT have any of these features without the Pxa-h100 installed ALSO. You can add the Pxa-h100 to the 117 if you decide you need these features in the future.

The 9887 has the 3-way processor built in.

The 117 may have a few features built into it that the 9886 doesn't have, So for your goals I would say go with the 117.

If your conclusion is based on "output power" you are being sorely misled. Interface, that's a different story.

I think that you should be choosing based on your needs and not theirs. With stock speakers you will NEVER use the 3 way crossover so you shouldn't pay for that feature.

You are going about this the wrong way. There is no better, only better for you. Ask the question based on what fills your needs better. Anyway at this point in time they are all about the same anyways, so just get the one that you like how it operates the best. There will be no acoustic benefit of any of them. ALL of them are way too nice to connect to crappy stock speakers though. And ALL of them really need an amplifier to truly make anything sound good.

Yeah, I mean I wont be using the 3 way crossover now, but I dont plan on keeping the stock speakers. When I replace the stock speakers I also plan on using an amplifier to run components later on. Maybe a SAZ-125.2

I would easily go for the 117, but later in the future I dont want to have to replace my radio again because I didnt make the right choice. Thats why I wish there was a more detailed explanation on this 3way crossover stuff. Even if I dont need it now, it might be really beneficial in the future.

The 9886 does NOT have any of these features without the Pxa-h100 installed ALSO. You can add the Pxa-h100 to the 117 if you decide you need these features in the future.

The 9887 has the 3-way processor built in.

The 117 may have a few features built into it that the 9886 doesn't have, So for your goals I would say go with the 117.

I always saw the IMPRINT stuff as something completely worthless? Like extra bells and whistles.

I really dont see myself spending $250 on it. Doesnt the 9887 hold enough options to make the car sound the way you want it?

Never really tried it, but to me is like comparing an Intel Extreme series CPU, $500 more for the unlocked multiplier, which might take you further, but definitely not worth extra $500 unless you really have money to burn.

If your not gonna be going active in the future then dont get the CDA-9887 but if you plan on it then go for it. Since you said your gonna get components and a SAX-125.2 you wont need the CDA-9887 at all. You say you dont want to buy something then have to upgrade it in the future if that is the case then make a compormise and get the CDA-9887 whether or not you use those features only time will tell. This is a decision you will have to make man, hope this helps.

I always saw the IMPRINT stuff as something completely worthless? Like extra bells and whistles.

I really dont see myself spending $250 on it. Doesnt the 9887 hold enough options to make the car sound the way you want it?

Never really tried it, but to me is like comparing an Intel Extreme series CPU, $500 more for the unlocked multiplier, which might take you further, but definitely not worth extra $500 unless you really have money to burn.

The Pxa-h100 will give you 3-way crossover if you add it to the 117. I bought my H100 for like 100 bucks. The imprint is a whole different feature all together, that you must have the calibration mic to use, but is not neccesary.