altoncustomtech

Suggestions for help with painting welcome!

Alright, I'm going full blow post with this. I'm tired of wasting paint. I've been painting this damn thing with color now for around two weeks. Giving plenty of time to dry between coats, wet sand, etc. and it still looks like shit. There's 6 coats of automotive primer on it before I started painting as well yet it still continues to soak in, like so.

This is after around 3 coats of paint. BTW the color is deep jewel green with the metal flake in it. Same color that's on my '70 chevy. :D

0801001129.jpg

And this is after around 8 coats of paint. The picture was taken this morning moments before coat #9.

0804000723.jpg

So what can I do with this? I was wondering if a coat of clear over the paint that's on there now would seal it good enough to put more coats of paint on top of that clear. I have no idea how viable a solution that is. I REALLY REALLY don't want to sand it down and do it all over again, I have quite a lot of money wrapped up in it already. Thanks for the whatever help I can get guys.

You have to seal MDF before painting it. Deft sanding sealer works great.

I think I should include that an enamel based primer was brushed on the MDF first. Then six coats of automotive primer followed by automotive color has been put on. No rattle cans involved and the brand is Nason I believe.

I am no painter, nor do I even enjoy it, but I will give my thoughts.

The enamel primer should of sealed the MDF. Are you using a spray gun for the green? Is the paint fresh or is it leftovers that have been sitting?

You need to use a sealer instead of a primer. The sealer is much thicker than primer, it cost slightly more but cheaper than buying more paint. it will solve your problem.

Is the enamel paint compatible with the automotive paint?

Let me start by stating that I am not a painter, but we have just completed painting some MDF and the vehicle that we are working on. With the limited experience we have, which is little to none, the MDF (a bottom support plate and amp rack) we painted was sprayed with 4 coats of automotive primer (1:1 epoxy primer by Eastwood) with a standard spay gun #7 tip and about 65psi. Then we wet sanded (light water) with some 600-then sprayed 3 coats of single stage urethane by Eastwood with an HVLP gun # 4 tip and 30psi. After we sprayed the primer and it was wet sanded it sprayed just like a car panel with no signs of the MDF absorbing the paint. Here are a few pics of the panels and install.

Components painted

Components installed

I can say from my limited experience that you would probly come out of your delema quicker by preping the surface with primer or in your case maybe a sealer so you have a good base then when applying paint it will take a lot less of the actual paint to give the results your looking for. If I can help somehow hit me up.

ok im a graffiti writer so i can give you tips on painting........ from the looks of the pics thats part of the problem. id either try the sealer primer everyone is talkin bout. or just hit it with a heavy coat of glossy bucket/roller paint if you have some layin around.lowes/homedepot always has buckets big and small that people decided they didnt want. its always cheaper then the sealer they mentioned.which in turn will also help seal any leaks. hit it with a quik sand to smooth it. what kind of "tip" is on the can of paint? does it spray a dot? or a line? if it sprays a line or"fantip" the easiest way to lay it down is in a room/garage with minimal wind. and paint it like you would a car. watch a couple vids on youtube to get the idea. and take your time. lay a coat let it dry lay another coat let it dry, repeat. lay 5-6 coats and it will look nice no sanding needed. try to keep the can about 8 inches away and it will lay nicely