altoncustomtech

Alton's build log

Wohoo my build log is finally up.  

37 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you guys think of the build so far?

• Looks pretty good, like you've put plenty of time and thought into it.
    • Eh, looks okay.
    • You're a noob, aren't you? I coulda done better in my sleep.
    • Looks like crap and you need to get the hell out of this hobby before you give it and the forum a bad name.

Kitty likes the window. :)

Looks awesome bro! You took your time and it shows! Excellent dude! :fing34:

Thanks man, it took too long to get it done, but it's been well worth the wait. The Q's sound absolutely amazing.

Amazing build man

Thanks!! :drink40:

everything loooks great love the plexi .maybe some LEDs in the box?

Thank you. Thought about the LED's and had made plans to put some in originally. Ended up not going with it mainly because I had too much going on when I was trying to get this finished so I just scrapped the idea. I could very well be adding them in the future though, thought about a black light type LED on that orange even.

Kitty likes the window. :)

lol, yeah he was lovin' the box. As a matter of fact after the subs were installed in it I put it aside in the living room to work on and finish the amp rack and he ventured his merry little self in and out of there on a regular basis. Found him sleeping in it several times. Guarantee he wouldn't stay in there now while they're playing though!!!! LOL

Nice box build and finishing work! I really dig those Neutrik connectors.

Nice box build and finishing work! I really dig those Neutrik connectors.

Thank you! I love the Neutrik's as well, ideal for keeping an enclosure removable in the car environment.

Awesome looking ride / system bro !!!

Thanks man!!

Your build came out :dancing:

Do you have another build for the rest of the system??

Your build came out :dancing:

Do you have another build for the rest of the system??

Thanks!!

Afraid not, the sound deadening, component installation, etc. was all done before I was ever worried about posting pics of the builds online. I'm going to have to go in and redo some things when I change out the front components since they're starting to get old, very used and showing it, and I'll definitely have pictures and a build log of that when it's being done.

Thank for the link Great job love your box and everything else too! Only questions is whats the thickness of plexi and did you put anything between plexi and wood?

Thank for the link Great job love your box and everything else too! Only questions is whats the thickness of plexi and did you put anything between plexi and wood?

Thanks Man!! The plexi is 3/4" thick and can be gotten from Delvie's Plastics along with the rest of their products for a quite impressive price from what I found anywhere else around the net. What I did with this was take a router and step the edge of the plexi all around it's perimeter, then cut out an MDF ring 2" wider and longer than the plexi with the same step in it where the plexi would fit inside it and the MDF ring and the plexi were nearly flush. Then I filled the step cuts in the plexi and MDF with some real good silicone adhesive/sealer. Once that dried (24hrs) I put glue on the MDF ring, a little more silicone around the face where the plexi and MDF meet and screwed the MDF ring to the face of the box. The hole in the face of the box where you see the plexi window is 2" shorter and narrower than the plexi window. That allows plenty of surface area for a seal and makes it virtually impossible to see the cuts/ring/sealant around the edges for a nice clean look.

This is a VERY generic drawing of what I did with this, but I think it will help the idea of what I did get a little clearer.

PLEXIEXAMPLE.jpg

Hope all that helps!

I know it's been said, but those connectors are sickkkk!

And that plexi looks clean!

Wow, I don't watch this like I should anymore, lol. Thank you sir.

Well, it sucks but it is finally a video of the Q's in action. I'm going to try to get the HD cam out and get a vid or two with it, hopefully it can capture all the shit moving, lol.

There.... finally got the Youtube link to work, lol....

:drink40: Looks damn good!!

I love the glass in it man. Looks great.

look who dusted off the ol' build log and added some sweet vids as well!!

cant wait to see it in person though bro!

:drink40: Looks damn good!!

Thanks!!

I love the glass in it man. Looks great.

Thank you sir, I wanted to be able to show off their hot asses, lol. Should do the same when you get your ZCON!

look who dusted off the ol' build log and added some sweet vids as well!!

cant wait to see it in person though bro!

LOL, speaking of dusting off the enclosure needs a good Pledging. I dunno about sweet, but it's a video. I couldn't believe it when I played it back on my laptop the first time and the components alone were about overdriving the microphone, once the bass starts it really sounds like ass. That's what I get for trying to do it on my cell phone, it takes great stills for a phone but the videos aren't nearly as good. I'm hoping the mic on the camera is a little more forgiving. Speaking of seeing it in person, when's the next show at that shop up there in Indy?

Looks really nice Bro.

Great job.

Thanks!!

Here's a couple more videos, this time with a real video camera. Quality still sucks cuz I'm trying to get used to the settings on the video conversion software so I'm not trying to upload 400+Mb files. Still working on camera settings too. In the first video the image stabilization was on and it could barely show the subs moving. In the second video it was off and it caught the subs moving decent but couldn't catch anything else moving. I also tried to do a little paper trick on the second video and the camera didn't catch shit there either, so both videos turned out lame IMHO but hey it's just for fun anyway.