altoncustomtech

Alton's build log

Wohoo my build log is finally up.  

37 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you guys think of the build so far?

• Looks pretty good, like you've put plenty of time and thought into it.
    • Eh, looks okay.
    • You're a noob, aren't you? I coulda done better in my sleep.
    • Looks like crap and you need to get the hell out of this hobby before you give it and the forum a bad name.

Here's all the pictures I have up to now. Constructive criticism is welcome. If you have a snide comment or remark, well, I'm probably not going to respond to that. Here we go.

DSCN0221.jpg

CloseupofPlexiwindow.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0231.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

0729000713.jpg

0729000714.jpg

0729000714a.jpg

0729000714b.jpg

0729000714c.jpg

0730000713.jpg

0730000713a.jpg

0801001129-1.jpg

0804000723-1.jpg

0805001948.jpg

0808001225.jpg

0808002255.jpg

0808002300.jpg

0808002308.jpg

0807001313.jpg

0807001319.jpg

0808001200.jpg

0808001200a.jpg

Looks good man!! You were able to get the paint right i see. That is a good thing. Looking good so far!!! Keep it up!

Looks good man!! You were able to get the paint right i see. That is a good thing. Looking good so far!!! Keep it up!

Thanks, but I never did anything with the paint. Once my paint guru told me that the problem wasn't that it was soaking in, that it was actually "blushing" from the heat and humidity. So since there was nothing I could do with it I just said to hell with it and put the clear coat on.

I think this is B-E-A-Utiful!

i love the plexi, just gave me another idea for my next build

keep it coming!

Thanks, I hope it holds up to the abuse. I'm hoping it doesn't give me problems like it did for Chuck.

Your craftmenship is SUPER!!! :fing34: Now show us the finished pics!!

Thanks for the kind words. I feel as though none of it is turning out like I had planned.

Looks really nice bro! My plexi was sandwiched between 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF and was routered too much, so I doubt you have any problems. I'm eager to see the final product on the build, keep it going!

Nice!!

You can tell you really are taking your time to make sure things turn out top notch! :popcorn:

DSCN0226.jpg

Build is lookin' good! Paint turned out well! Your helper there said he'll be ready for something like that in a few years. :fing34:

Not enough rotors. ;)

Nice work.

It looks spectacular!!!!! :+1:

Thanx!!

Looks really nice bro! My plexi was sandwiched between 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF and was routered too much, so I doubt you have any problems. I'm eager to see the final product on the build, keep it going!

Dear God I hope so. I hope the routing wasn't too deep on mine too. AND Thanx!

Nice!!

You can tell you really are taking your time to make sure things turn out top notch! :popcorn:

Thanx, I sure appreciate it. I'm trying to take my time and have it turn out the way I see it in my mind. Only time will tell.

Build is lookin' good! Paint turned out well! Your helper there said he'll be ready for something like that in a few years. :fing34:

Thanx, the paint turned out okay. Everyone will see the problems it still has once it's in the sunlight, and yeah, he's only 9 and already posing questions about his first car and stereo.

Not enough rotors. ;)

Nice work.

LOL, thanx man. I didn't have enough clamps so I figured some weight on top could do the same. It was either the rotors or a stripped down 350 block, lol.

Looks great. Keep up the good work.

nice box !

keep posting pics, please.

It looks like a future super clean install !!!:fing34:

Looks great. Keep up the good work.

Thanx, It's coming along. Got some carpet on the amp rack tonight. Wish the heat and humidity would die down for a bit so I could work without feeling like I'm on the 8th level of hell.

nice box !

keep posting pics, please.

It looks like a future super clean install !!!:fing34:

Thanx man. The box hasn't turned out EXACTLY like I pictured it in my mind but I can't spend any more money on it at this point so it will have to do. A friend asked if I liked the seams showing. I don't particularly but by the time I had enough primer on to see that they weren't going to cover up even after several applications of body filler I wasn't about to sand it off to apply more. Like I said, spent too much money already. The plan on the amp rack is that it will be super clean. Seeing only enough wire at each connection point to make the connection from the board and even the leads going to the fuse for the SAZ-2000 will be completely hidden. By design the only wire's that will be fully seen are the wire's that will connect the sub enclosure to the amp board/amp, and that 's only because it really will look good. (or should anyway, by design)

Here's a few little updates.

Here I'm cleaning up the holes drilled into the board for all the wires. Dremmel FTW!

0811002018.jpg

Here's a shot of the channels routed into the back of the board. In this area the board will be right up against the panel in the van. To keep things flush the wires will run down the channel to the SAX-100.4 and be held in place by an 1/8" piece of fiber plate. (an old sign from work, thin but very strong) You can also see the beauty panel that will trim and fit the amp board to the panel in the van.

0811002045.jpg

Ready for carpet.

0811002045a.jpg

Carpet applied to the front only for now until the adhesive sets, then I'll slowly work it around the edges.

0811002108.jpg

0808002308.jpg

Now thats SEXY!!!!! :wub: Your creativity on design is exceptional!!!!!

I can't wait to see how the rest of the van comes together.

Way to show others how you made a template scribe to transfer to the wood.:+1:

Now thats SEXY!!!!! :wub: Your creativity on design is exceptional!!!!!

I can't wait to see how the rest of the van comes together.

Way to show others how you made a template scribe to transfer to the wood.:+1:

THANX! I would love to have had some pictures of the process of creating the template, however I couldn't hold a camera and do it at the same time, my wife wasn't going to stand out there in the heat and humidity to do it, and I couldn't trust the kids to do it, so... :suicide-santa:

Got some more work done, next to wire the box and put the subs in it.

Got the subs out last night and put the SERIES wire in place between the coils. You might be able to see it in the picture down by the magnet. It's both leads of 12AWG Knukonceptz Karma speaker wire.

0813000948.jpg

Applying the carpet to the beauty panel on the amp rack board.

0813001503.jpg

0813001503a.jpg

Here's the carpet finished.

0813001518.jpg

0813001517.jpg

Amps will be mounted to the board tonight along with the wiring and installation of the subs in the enclosure. If all goes well getting the rest of the tiny details complete it will be done this weekend.

Lookin' Good!!! Enclosure turned out great! Waitin' to see some more! :popcorn: