altoncustomtech

Alton's build log

Wohoo my build log is finally up.  

37 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you guys think of the build so far?

• Looks pretty good, like you've put plenty of time and thought into it.
    • Eh, looks okay.
    • You're a noob, aren't you? I coulda done better in my sleep.
    • Looks like crap and you need to get the hell out of this hobby before you give it and the forum a bad name.

Here's a few updates.

First of all, a little messing around. What's that old saying?? Oh yeah, curiosity deafens the cat?

0813001709.jpg

0813001711.jpg

Wiring and installing the first sub.

0814001110.jpg

0814001650.jpg

Some pictures of the soldering of the Neutrik Speak-on terminals.

0814002120.jpg

0814002121.jpg

0814002123.jpg

0814002124.jpg

Wiring and installation of the second sub.

0814002148.jpg

0814002149.jpg

0814002149a.jpg

And everything to do with the subs and the box are DONE!

0814002207.jpg

0814002207a.jpg

0814002207b.jpg

0814002207c.jpg

I think the look of the subs and the enclosure turned out almost exactly as I had hoped. The motors on them Q's are just SEXY!

The box and subs are going to be an eye catcher, Your attention to details is KILLER!! Looking forward to seeing the amp rack installed!!:slayer:

Soooo niiiiice !

I ilke your speak-on terminals; I couldn't solder big wires on mine,though. I had to use pure cooper phone cable laced together. But it is so easy to plugg or unplugged the box !

:fing34:

The box and subs are going to be an eye catcher, Your attention to details is KILLER!! Looking forward to seeing the amp rack installed!!:slayer:

Thanks, that's what I'm going for. Amp rack should be installed REAL soon.

+1 for kitten and good looking build. :drink40:

Thanks man. Felix appreciates the comment as well. :D

Soooo niiiiice !

I ilke your speak-on terminals; I couldn't solder big wires on mine,though. I had to use pure cooper phone cable laced together. But it is so easy to plugg or unplugged the box !

:fing34:

Thanks! and yeah Iove those terminals too. They make it so easy and clean to make quick connections/disconnections. Soldering larger guage wire onto those terminals takes a bit of patience and experience, that's quite true. Patience more than anything though.

On to a few quick updates, got the amps mounted to the board. As soon as the last of the wiring is completed in the van this should start going together. Hopefully I'll be testing and tuning by the middle of the week.

0815002335.jpg

0815002345.jpg

0815002350.jpg

0815002350a.jpg

0815002350b.jpg

0815002350c.jpg

Mmm, mmm, them amps look sexy.

The amp rack is gonna' be a clean lookin' MoFo when your done!! I am loving the angled mounting, should help with cooling alittle too. :wub:

Figured I'd give a little update for those interested. Haven't gotten anything else done with the van since the last update. Been working the last few days on some things that have been being neglected since putting so much time into the van. Such as the yard, which was needing mowed something awful. With six acres to mow, it takes some time and if I hadn't gotten it done when I did I would had to have had a local farmer come bail it, lol. Along with some other honey do's I've not had time to get anything more done with the van. However, that's all caught up so I should be able to get the little added wiring jobs done tomorrow and be installing everything Friday, WOOHOOO!!!!

Okay guys. A few of you knew, but my wife has been in the hospital since Saturday. Looks like a gall bladder attack, but without a gall bladder? Anyway, been taking care of her and the kids this week and after the last few sleepless nights........................................

THE VAN IS DONE!!!!!!

It's amazing what can be accomplished in the wee hours of night when you can't sleep. Everything is installed, but there's still the testing and tuning that needs to be completed yet. I'm on my way to the hospital now so I'll post up the pictures later on when I can. :D

Very nice build! Box turned out great!

Your wife is in my prayers. I hope all turns out well.

I am looking forward to pictures of the finished product.

Alright, everything is going well here. The hospital has discharged the wife and she's now home. Hopefully not going back ANY time soon, we HATE hospitals.

ANYWAY............

Here's the pics as promised guys.

Unfortunately battling with insomnia two nights along with concentrating on the work led to the absence of thought on taking pictures during the installation of everything. I'll post what I have though. :D

0824000015.jpg

0824000024.jpg

If you notice, there's a lack of wires for the fuse holder. I removed the bolts that were in it and used all-thread to make the connections on the back side of the board to help clean up the look.

0824000024a.jpg

0824000056.jpg

0824000057.jpg

0824001547a.jpg

0824001546.jpg

0824001546a.jpg

0824001547.jpg

There's a few more things to do such as test and tune, a few more fitment issues with the amp rack to resolve and other little odds and ends but it's working out pretty good overall.

Them are the money shots. The install came out cLEEEEEan!!! :D

I can only imagine how smooth the Q's sound. Give us your first impressions?

Looks killer and sweet idea for the fuse holder, I like I like. :fing34:

Thanks brother, clean was what I was hoping for. Well, my first impression was amazement at how loud they get for such little excursion, lol. The sound so far is superior to anything I've ever owned. I still have to go all through the tuning but SMOOTH is definitely the first word that comes to mind. :D

Looks killer and sweet idea for the fuse holder, I like I like. :fing34:

Thanks man, and it was an expensive idea too. I used stainless steel all-thread, nuts and washers. It totaled $72 for 3ft of SS all-thread, and a 50 count bag each of SS nuts and flat washers. I didn't go for the lock washers, just too much money. Instead I opted for double-nutting so that nothing gets loose.

The fuse holder and the whole install is pure sexiness bro! Looking foward to hopfully meeting you and the family :woot:

Thanks man, looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the IAK family that weekend. :drink40:

Another first impression I noticed is the sheer impact. With the Hifonics subs and amps it got loud. Plenty loud enough for us in most cases. Like anything else with two 12's and over 1kw of power you could feel the bass, feel your pant leg or shirt move a little, things like that. Mind now that I have around double the power now but still the sheer impact of the Q's is unreal. For example, Tuesday a friend and fellow club member came over to check it out. We played with lots of songs covering many music genre's. The one that stands out in particular is Metallica's One. The kick drum was down right brutal, the impact nearly took our breath away and almost hurt our chest. Yesterday after work I demo'ed it for my little brother and was playing Tesla's Song and Emotion. When the song came alive he nearly jumped out of his seat. He couldn't believe the force he was hit with from the drums. It's amazing to have the drums be that forceful AND articulate at the same time. Most amazing is that I still have to tune the thing. I set the gains quickly and conservatively by ear with no adjustments to the EQ (not much to make it was pretty much flat to start with) and no adjustments to the crossover settings. It's still not being driven alot yet so I'll get them before we get too serious on it. I have to say I'll enjoy giving a full review once everything is dialed in properly.

Sounds like you are more than happy with the sum of your efforts.:fing34: :fing34: I wish I could hear it, I bet the sound is very accurate and linear!!!!!

:droolcup:

wow!

too smooth for real bro!

will look forward to seeing it n person for sure.

want to ask so many Q's too!

super glad momma is back home, tell her to stay away from them places!

chop

Sounds like you are more than happy with the sum of your efforts.:fing34: :fing34: I wish I could hear it, I bet the sound is very accurate and linear!!!!!

The accuracy thus far is quite surreal. Was listening to Disturbed - Land of Confusion yesterday and was utterly blown away by how clean the drums and bass guitar were. The more they play the better they get too.

:droolcup:

wow!

too smooth for real bro!

will look forward to seeing it n person for sure.

want to ask so many Q's too!

super glad momma is back home, tell her to stay away from them places!

chop

Thanks Bro! We're still planning on attending some of the festivities next weekend, as long as the funds come through. As far as the questions, you got my # feel free to call anytime. LOL, I don't have to tell her to stay away, she does everything she can to avoid them. She suffered through the pain in her stomach for around 8 hours before she finally listened to me and let me take her to the ER. She's a good bit stubborn.

0824001547a.jpg

I really like the use of those connectors for the subs. Looks beefy! :fing34:

I really like the use of those connectors for the subs. Looks beefy! :fing34:

Thanks. They're Neutrik Speak-on connectors from Parts Express. The Karma speaker wire from Knukonceptz is what really makes them nice. When I did the old installation the subs lit up. So I used 4 pole speak-on connectors. 2 poles were used for the signal to the sub, 2 were used to get the 12vdc to the lights. I kept the 4 pole connector's and used the Karma 12 guage bi-wire speaker wire for this installation. For maximum power transfer each sub has two 12 guage runs for positive and 2 runs for the negative. I didn't forget the series jumper wire either, it too is two runs of 12 guage. It's overkill for 1k each sub, but I figured the wire was cheap enough and I already had the 4 pole connector's so I went ahead and used it.

hey that came out pretty nice ! - :fing34: :fing34: :fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

Thanks man!!