vwfamily

6.5" comp recommendations ...

OK so I am new to the SSA forum. I have made my noob intro on the noob intro page already and now I am making my 1st official post.

So, I have a new 2010 VW CC R-Line. It has the Premium 8 non-Dynaudio system. The system is mediocre at best. I really like the head unit however. I like the functions and the way it looks. So I want to keep that! The speakers have to go. There are two comp sets. I believe the front set is something like a 7" woofer and a 1" tweet. Rear is 6.5" woofer and 1" tweet. So basically any 6.5" comps will work. Mounting depth is good so anything 3" or less will work.

I am getting this 5 channel Kenwood amp . Why? Because I like it's small footprint (hope to fit under a seat). I also like the simplicity of a 5 channel amp (vs multiple amps). AND the specs seem good as well: 80 Watts (RMS) x 4 @ 4ohms, 350 Watts (RMS) x 1 @ 4ohms. MAX output is something like 150w (MAX ) x 4, and 600w (Max) x 1. Perfect for what I need/want.

The sub I plan to use after much deliberation and research is the SSA DCON 12D4. I have looked at many subs. Started by looking at Kenwood KFC-W3012VDC, the JBL GTO1214, Polk MM1240, and the RE Audio SRX12D4. BUT ... I found the SSA DCON 12D4 and have decided that this is the best bang for the buck!

BTW I am on a budget.

So, now all I need is two sets of nice comps (YES I like rear fill!). I am willing to pay up to $150 per set. I am looking for SQ but on occasion will crank it up when I hear my favorite jam. I mainly listen to R&B, Rap/HipHop, House, but also listen to Jazz and other acoustic type music.

What do you folks in the SSA forum suggest? Please remember that my amp which I am settled on will give 80w RMS (150w MAX).

Your input and suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

TIA :fing34:

Up your budget a little bit and look at the ID CTX6.5's.

Nice sound, silk tweeter, and can get loud too.

Haven't taken a look lately but check out the SSA Store and the Bravox line of component speakers.

^ thats a good idea too. Forgot about those.

Maybe get one set now and save up for the other. There is a nice review on here.

^ thats a good idea too. Forgot about those.

Maybe get one set now and save up for the other. There is a nice review on here.

So the review is on a very expensive set of Bravox comps ($400 or so). There is a cheaper pair (CS60B) that cost $179.99. But that is a 6" and I can't find any reviews.

I like the Image Dynamics CTX65CS. I can find it for $189.99. Those could be my from stage and as rear fill I can use some coaxial speakers like the ID CTX65. These are $149.99. What do you think folks?

Any other recommendations would great.

Thanks!

WOW look what I found!

Image Dymanics CTX65CS CTX65-CS CTX Series Component Speakers

Has anyone bought from here? Just kinda worried it my be too good to be true.

Also I notice the ctx65 coax's have the tweet which sticks out. I want everything to look stock in stock locations. Think the tweets in the ID coaxials will be an issue in the rear doors? (2010 vw cc)

Edited by vwfamily

So, I have a new 2010 VW CC R-Line. It has the Premium 8 non-Dynaudio system. The system is mediocre at best. I really like the head unit however. I like the functions and the way it looks. So I want to keep that!

I'm unfamiliar with newer VW systems, but I'm assuming this requires that you get some sort of LOC or OEM integration unit to pass a signal to your aftermarket amp?

Personally I'd ditch the rear fill and double your budget on the front components, but you've probably heard that before. ;)

WOW look what I found!

Also I notice the ctx65 coax's have the tweet which sticks out. I want everything to look stock in stock locations. Think the tweets in the ID coaxials will be an issue in the rear doors? (2010 vw cc)

No the tweets on the coaxials wont be an issue, I wouldnt buy from that site because they dont seem to be a dealer plus you gotta pay for shipping so you will still be in the some ballpark in price as woofersetc.com. I would pay the extra few dollars and buy from woofersetc.com but that is just me.

WOW look what I found!

No the tweets on the coaxials wont be an issue, I wouldnt buy from that site because they dont seem to be a dealer plus you gotta pay for shipping so you will still be in the some ballpark in price as woofersetc.com. I would pay the extra few dollars and buy from woofersetc.com but that is just me.

Yeah I figured I would play it safe and stick with woofersetc.com

I did hear from someone on a VW forum that there is not much clearance in the back doors for the tweets if you use a coaxial speaker. Says that it will not work without door modification. Just what I don't want to do. I want it to look stock. It's only about a $40 difference so I'll go w/two sets of comps most likely!

Sounds good to me, you know what fits so go for what you know. Two sets of components will be nice :drink40:

So, I have a new 2010 VW CC R-Line. It has the Premium 8 non-Dynaudio system. The system is mediocre at best. I really like the head unit however. I like the functions and the way it looks. So I want to keep that!

I'm unfamiliar with newer VW systems, but I'm assuming this requires that you get some sort of LOC or OEM integration unit to pass a signal to your aftermarket amp?

Personally I'd ditch the rear fill and double your budget on the front components, but you've probably heard that before. ;)

Yeah I plan on using the AC LC6i as a LOC.

AND yes I have heard several times to ditch the rear fills. I do really like having rear fill however. I have had "surround sound" in my cars since 1988. :fing34:

Alpine Type R's 6.5 component set, 140.00 on Ebay ALL DAY.

NEW ALPINE SPR-17S 6.5" TYPE R COMPONENT SPEAKERS SET - eBay (item 390223407913 end time Aug-31-10 15:02:43 PDT)

I have (2) sets of them in my truck. Loud as FUCK. (have videos if you'd like)

Also check out the PDX amps on Ebay.

Alpine comps were on my list early. I am more looking for SQ vs SPL, which is why I am leaning on the Image Dynamics CTX65CS now. These comps are also very efficient. The Alpines sound good too but the ID comps just edge them out in SQ.

Also the PDX amp was my 1st choice in a 5 channel amp. Through my research I have found by many PDX owners that the sub line is weaker than the stated 300w. This is why I'm going with the Kenwood.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

The Type R's are nice very good beginner setup. What subs do you have?

The Type R's are nice very good beginner setup. What subs do you have?

I am piecing my system together on paper now. I just got my '10 VW CC and am planning the upgrade of my sound system minus the h/u. I'm keeping that.

The sub I plan you use is the SSA DCON 12D4.

Check my OP.

The type R's are perfect! nice good setup...........and their price is not bad well for me their 80$ so you guys got ripped off......... anyways good luck with the build!

The type R's are perfect! nice good setup...........and their price is not bad well for me their 80$ so you guys got ripped off......... anyways good luck with the build!

You must have missed my earlier post:

Alpine comps were on my list early. I am more looking for SQ vs SPL, which is why I am leaning on the Image Dynamics CTX65CS now. These comps are also very efficient. The Alpines sound good too but the ID comps just edge them out in SQ.

Anyhow thanks again for your input!