Sign in to follow this  
Dobber

Loss of output

Hey guys..im having a little trouble with my sub right now..right when i start the car up, everything is fine..but after a little while it seems like the sub gets quieter. Sometimes it will play normal for 5-10 mins, and sometimes it will only last for a minute of less. I have no idea what could be causing this. Anyone have an idea?

have you monitored your voltage?

could be your RCA's are wiggiling out, or you're just going deaf!

Does it stay quieter for the remainder of your trip? How does the vehicle voltage look throughout all of this?

What kinda HU you have were is the amp grounded make sure everything is secure and speaker wire is tight....

How much quieter?

the voltage stays around 13.8 when the subs arent on, and drops as low as 12.5 when its all the way up. I dont think its the RCA's coming out. I just got everything set up friday night and it was doing the same thing on my buddies amp i was borrowing, and its still doing it on mine now.

It stays like that until the car is turned off and sits for a couple minutes. The HU is a pioneer. Im not sure of the exact model number though. And when i say it gets quieter, i dont mean that its a lot quieter. It still hits hard enough to fold the rear view down, but the change is enough to be noticed my ear.

12.5 v ? You have too much voltage drops for only 750 watts.:suicide-santa: You should not have any at all ! IMO

check your grounds again, and all your electrical system. add another big wire for a good ground on the negative post of your battery, if you don't want to do the big3 in 0 ga ((necessary for your future upgrades !!!).

What size of power wire do you use from batt to amp ? Maybe it is too small.

Some well knowledgeable members will help you more than I can !:peepwall:

good luck

Your probably just losing voltage. a group 31 size battery should help out a bit. check out XS powere in the SSA store.

Too much more problems will likely result in damaged equipment.

User was warned for this post

Edited by johnecon2001
removed user text.

alright..i get paid friday and plan on doing the big 3. This should help with the voltage drops right?

edit: Steve, what do you mean by a group 31 size battery? Sorry, this is my first really set up, and i've never had to mess with batteries before. Would this be like a XS D3100? And should it be used in the factory spot, or as a second battery in the back?

Edited by Dobber

This should help with the voltage drops right?

Only way to find out is to do it. Many have experienced good results.

yes the big 3 should help with the voltage drop!

Also try to upgrade your grounds with a bigger wire!

:rockwoot:

Alright..thanks.

And which grounds are you talking about? are there other important ones besides the battery ground, and the amp ground? Would it be okay to run 0 gauge for the amp ground if im only running 4 gauge power wire?

Alright..thanks.

And which grounds are you talking about? are there other important ones besides the battery ground, and the amp ground? Would it be okay to run 0 gauge for the amp ground if im only running 4 gauge power wire?

It wouldnt hurt the amp to run a bigger gauge wire for the ground but I would just upgrade both wires to 1/0 awg and be done with it, that way if you upgrade amps in the future your wiring will be taken care of.

jay-cee means It wouldn't hurt the amp to run a bigger gauge wire for the ground

but yeah just do battery ground and amp ground! Make sure they are good grounds that run to the frame! (may or may not be hard to find depending on your vehicle and amp location)

alright..well it looks like i'll be purchasing some 1/0 in the near future.

but on the battery question again..what exactly is a group 31 size battery?

Yes, a d3100. check with XS about fitment. also Those batteries can be mounted anywhere they fit. even on its side in the trunk.

Different size batteries have different "group" sizes. group 31 is the largest amp/hours most companies sell.

Yes, a d3100. check with XS about fitment. also Those batteries can be mounted anywhere they fit. even on its side in the trunk.

Different size batteries have different "group" sizes. group 31 is the largest amp/hours most companies sell.

alright..so say i bought a d3100. Should i use it to replace the factory battery? or keep the factory battery and use the d3100 in the trunk as a second battery?