I need a 5/6 channel amp for one of my cars. I need about 75-150 or so watts per channel on channels 1-4, and a 5th (or 5th and 6th bridged) channel to run a sub with 500-1000 watts. I was looking at the following:

US Amps AX-5600

US Amps USA-5600x (getting hard to find)

Hifonics Zeus ZXi60.4 + 1k

Memphis Belle 16-MCH1300

The only problem with the latter two is that they are most likely made in China... which is a huge turn off for me given my recent experience with chinese made amps.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Sub is unimportant at the moment, as it will be picked after the amp is. I'm trying to stay under $500, if possible, but that is not a hard cap. I alos want to run just a single amp in this vehicle, if possible.

Thanks!

Zed Leviathan

150w X 6 @ 4 ohm

Channels bridged @ 4ohm 500w @ 8ohm 250w

Zed Leviathan

150w X 6 @ 4 ohm

Channels bridged @ 4ohm 500w @ 8ohm 250w

x' 2 on the ZED Leviathan

Trust me I was in the market for a 5-6 channel amp like you. I also had a budget. This ZED amp is more than I wanted to spend BUT do some research on the amp read the manual, and read the reviews on-line, and you too will be sold.

I have not yet purchased it BUT I AM going too. This amp is awesome! :fing34:

BTW I believe it's 600w bridged at 4ohm's. Also it's $622 here at the SSA store.

Good luck on the amp search!

Edited by vwfamily

The Zed amp seems to be a killer deal at this price. You won't find better & cheaper !:drink40: and it really look so nice.

On the cheap side, you can use 2 Audiopipe or Clarion amps : 1 for the sub and 1 for the speakers. It will be way less then $500 IMO.

word just being a ZED made amp should be an instant sell point

I've read some not so flattering things about those this evening. Also, they don't seem to do rated power at 2 Ohm or bridged. Of course that was only one review I saw where it's power was tested, so only one example.

I've read some not so flattering things about those this evening. Also, they don't seem to do rated power at 2 Ohm or bridged. Of course that was only one review I saw where it's power was tested, so only one example.

Just curious what reviews you were looking at. Got any links?

This thread got me a little worried... it appears Steve "fixed" the real problem, but there are other little things that just shouldn't be with a new amp (referring to the board being longer than the chassis, etc)

Zed Audio "Leviathan" my take on it.... - DIYMA.com

This is the review where it exceed rating at 4ohm stereo, but fell a little short on the others: audio gear reviews - Amplifier Review - ZED Audio Leviathan

The 4ohm stereo power is more than enough, but the bridged and/or 2 ohm power, isn't that great, considering it's not even making it.

I was also looking at a couple mmats amps. Really wanted to go with one, but for not "too" much more than the leviathan I could have a SQ4100 and M1400. That would give me slightly less power on the four channels, but a lot more on the sub. And they make all their amps in the grand ole US of A!

This thread got me a little worried... it appears Steve "fixed" the real problem, but there are other little things that just shouldn't be with a new amp (referring to the board being longer than the chassis, etc)

Zed Audio "Leviathan" my take on it.... - DIYMA.com

This is the review where it exceed rating at 4ohm stereo, but fell a little short on the others: audio gear reviews - Amplifier Review - ZED Audio Leviathan

The 4ohm stereo power is more than enough, but the bridged and/or 2 ohm power, isn't that great, considering it's not even making it.

I was also looking at a couple mmats amps. Really wanted to go with one, but for not "too" much more than the leviathan I could have a SQ4100 and M1400. That would give me slightly less power on the four channels, but a lot more on the sub. And they make all their amps in the grand ole US of A!

On your second worry about 2ohm bridged loads. The manual is a good read. More like a tutorial. Anyhow here is a quote: "WE ARE ABSOLUTELY 100% AGAINST THESE LOW IMPEDANCE LOADS. There is no reason to run a “daily driver” or SQ system into these loads. The aim is quality after all and not sound pressure. The ego trip of boasting that you have “x mega watts” in the car is just that,an ego trip and serves no other purpose besides boosting the ego of

the owner. This give a bit of insight about their philosophy. BUT there is a lot more interesting info in the manual.

Here is the link check it out. It really is a good read:

http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/PDF/ZedManual-A.pdf

If your looking for SPL then maybe this isn't your amp. If you want SQ, efficiency, cool running, power saving amp, then the ZED is he one. It is for me!

Good luck. :fing34:

I believe Zed revised the rated power figures between original conception and time of production.

Zed's Manual and both third-party reviews linked to from his website all list rated power as 150w @ 4ohm, 250w @ 2ohm and 500w @ 4ohm bridged. Both tests report the Leviathan exceeding those power output ratings at 14.4V.

It was originally anticipated to have ratings of 150/300/600. But none of the "official" material for the production units list those figures anymore. Which really isn't a big deal, IMO. Stephen revised the ratings as appropriate to accurately reflect actual performance for the production units, and the difference between both 250w and 300w, and 500w and 600w, is less than 1db which means the actual power difference between preproduction estimates and production unit ratings/performance is completely inaudible.

I think the SSA store just needs to update the product information.

Thanks for all the replies.

I went ahead and bought a slightly used AX-5600 for under $300. I have a lot of faith in US Amps given my experience with them, and if it doesn't perform up to my liking, I can resell it and be out next to nothing.

Now I'm concentrating on a sub. Thinking about a Fi Q 10 with High Qts, Spider, and Ring options. Opinions?