cruzer23

Is something wrong with 15 ssd?

I have a 15" FI SSD, i built a 2.4 cubic foot sealed box (before sub discplacement). Feeding it 870w rms, it gets decent loud, but everyone i show it too thinks it should be louder. One of my friends jl 10w3v3 in a ported box sounds just as loud, if not louder...

Anyways, im fine with the output, but it has a really weird sound to it. Perhaps its rattling my back wall, but after listening to different types of songs i believe its something with the sub, but i lack the knowledge to know for sure.

On say 3 6 mafia late night tip, its not so bad... if u listen closely u can still hear some off sounding sounds.

On heavy metal, that i listen to daily, its a big problem. I cant have the gain up as high or it sounds terrible. it makes a weird muffling sound.

ill try and get a video of it, but for now all i have is a vid of 3 6 mafia late night tip. let me know if u have an idea, suggestion, etc.

Is it the sub? is it rattling the back wall? Does it really just need to be ported, not only for output, but SQ? Im just worried about the SQ, but if going ported it will sound better, i can just turn it down a little.

when u got it on like that, take your hands and start moving them around the surround of the sub and around the box checking for air leaks.

Your comparing a sealed enclosure to a ported enclosure, theres a pretty big difference between output. I suggest porting it :) If you have the room to do it

Edited by stefanhinote

Your comparing a sealed enclosure to a ported enclosure, theres a pretty big difference between output. I suggest porting it :) If you have the room to do it

They said they were fine with the output, just wanting to fix that weird noise. It kinda' sounds like it's bottoming out. Does it only make the noise at high volumes, or can you always hear it, just not as loud?

hard to believe it's bottoming out.

Can you get a better video. Is this in a house or vehicle?

Maybe the box is coming apart and the panels are slapping together. Has it always done it?

It does sound like poop.

he says he is fine with the output, but he also mentions his "friends" saying it should be louder. i would say just port it. you can keep the "SQ" if you build the box right and tune around the 32hz mark. you get the bonus of added output and if its too loud you can just turn it down.

but before all that, find the source of the noise. go over everything with a fine toothed comb and pull the sub out and do an inspection. no sense doing a major overhaul just because you blew a speaker terminal cup to pieces or something similar

How do you know how much power you're actually giving the sub? How did you set your gains?

Reminds me of a leaky sealed box..

I strongly believe the box is perfectly fine. I got the best glue lowes had, titebond 3 wood glue. I spent excess glue on every peice, i mean u can see it on the outside of the box all over the place, even after wiping it.

its in a crew cab truck. Its wired for 2 ohms, the AQ1200D is rated at 870watts rms @2ohms. i had the gains at 3/4 using the gain knob with the amp, it has a clipping light. I used the same method setting previous subs with no problem.

I strongly think its the sub itself. Not because im afraid to admit i did something wrong, but because i got it used. I have no idea how it was treated, how it is originally supposed to sound, etc.

If the sub is fine, then the sub is just not got the Sound quality i am expecting it to have. I need to move on to a FI Q.

ill try and get a video posted Wed. morning as i have to work again tonight.

thanks for all the fast replies, hope we can figure this out. I dont want to pass on bad judgment of FI, or the SSD lineup because of a crappy install or a bad used sub.

You got this from me on CA. I didn't hear any problems when I free aired it before shipping to you. Everything looks fine as well. I even listened to it in the previous owner's car.

I still say its the box.

x2

feel your hand around the box on all the seams as well as around the sub mounting hole itself. See if you have air leaks. You did tell me that this was your first box so its an easy mistake for first timers. Did you silicone the seams like I said?

I am pretty sure it is your dust cap. It sounds like it separated from the cone and is rattling. I had the same noise on a 12" ssd.

That should be easy to spot. Definitely not a problem when I had it. Doubt it's the problem here.

Do you have another 15" to try in the box to rule out whether its the sub or box, try it free air on some power to see if the sub makes the noise as well? Also while you have the sub outside the box check the panels to see if some came loose or if it could be leaks around the box.

I am not saying you sold it to him that way but from what my ears are telling me is that's the same noise my SSD was making. I know I missed it the first check of my sub, just don't want him ripping everything apart if its something simple.

When you made the box did you just glue it? Or did you clamp it and\or used screws on it while the glue dried?

Sounds like cliipping...and then bottoming out on the lower notes... (i know it has a clipping light but i don't think it works very well.)

(could also be the box. :P)

i know ///m5 says clipping lights are useless for music but when i used to use those lights on aq amps, running twice as much power to each sub, as long as i didnt stay in the clipping zone, AQ or DC subs could take 2kw wired load all day long without getting smelly.

Now, if i left music in the clipping area where it mostly stayed red the whole time, it would take a matter of a few seconds before they would start cooking.

i know ///m5 says clipping lights are useless for music but when i used to use those lights on aq amps, running twice as much power to each sub, as long as i didnt stay in the clipping zone, AQ or DC subs could take 2kw wired load all day long without getting smelly.

Now, if i left music in the clipping area where it mostly stayed red the whole time, it would take a matter of a few seconds before they would start cooking.

And to add something, the clipping lights don't detect clipping if it comes from the source. ;)

feel your hand around the box on all the seams as well as around the sub mounting hole itself. See if you have air leaks. You did tell me that this was your first box so its an easy mistake for first timers. Did you silicone the seams like I said?

I never said anything about it being my first box... lol.

If it were my first box then it would be like 99% chance it was the box...

i have felt the whole front half that is exposed for air leaks, but i guess ill unwedge it and feel the back half, but im just going to waste my time. Unless the most expensive wood glue sucks and doesnt do its job when put on very thick =/

the dustcap being separated sounds like that could honestly be the problem. Without knowing how that would sound, that sounds like it might be what would cause a weird noise like this. Any way to test it? If that is the problem how do i fix it, recone?

just try to lift the dustcap then if you think its separated. Also, were your cuts perfectly straight and seams perfect? The loads of glue isn't going to be a sure thing unless your perfect with your cuts. If its just the dustcap, you can get another dustcap and put it on here, no need for a recone.

just try to lift the dustcap then if you think its separated. Also, were your cuts perfectly straight and seams perfect? The loads of glue isn't going to be a sure thing unless your perfect with your cuts. If its just the dustcap, you can get another dustcap and put it on here, no need for a recone.

this free air it, and check if it does the same noise.