chrisbarr90

help me decide on my sub stage...

Looking for a little help on deciding which sub setup to run. First off the vehicle is a 2005 explorer. Already have a Sundown SAZ-3500d to power them. Electrical upgrades will be DC 270 amp alt., big three in 1/0, two runs to back of vehicle in 1/0 and 2 D3100 batteries. Purpose of the system is daily ground pounder. Want loud and clean. Listen to a little bit of everything except country. The original plan was 2 XCON 15's in a ported enclosure. I've been reading the forum a lot and watched some videos and have seen some really nice systems using 12" XCONS and ICONS. My uncle suggested I run four 12" ICONS sealed. He has always run sealed enclosures. My dads been thinking that maybe I should drop down from a pair of 15" xcons to a pair of 12" xcons. He specifically pointed out the results Mark had with his 12's and the bagged 300c on team ssa site. My last system had a pair of 15's(sealed) so that is what I have personal experience with. So are four 12" icons sealed the best choice all around? Will the pair of XCON 12's be close enough in performance to justify the smaller box and less weight over the 15" XCONS? Should I just stick to the original plan and do a pair of 15's ported?

So with all that said what are your thoughts? All set ups will be in SSA recommended optimal enclosures. All would be wired to a 1 ohm final load. Actual port frequency would be up in the air but I see most have theirs around 32-33hz.

If it was me, Id do 15"s ported, (going for most output.)

"The original plan was 2 XCON 15's in a ported enclosure. I've been reading the forum a lot and watched some videos and have seen some really nice systems using 12" XCONS and ICONS."

I think this is what you should go with. You watched videos on the 12's, now imagine the 15's!

More output = More fun.

If you have the room, get the 15's and try them sealed. If you still want more, then build a new ported box.

They sound great sealed and get damn loud too. I loved mine sealed.

Any of these set ups will kill your previous 15 sealed system. All three will do what you want and make you very happy. I personally don't think you could make a wrong choice here. So go with the 15s unless you like the look of four 12s.