nigel

well, thinking about getting in trouble with the wife

So,

I knew starting to read more on car audio again would get me in trouble, so.... Looking at convincing my wife to let me maybe get an 18" sub for myself for christmas.

This will be going into my extended cab chev s-10. Will be using a JBL GTO 601.1 amp to push it (600 watts at 2 ohms) (reason for the amp is, I already have it, and if I can even manage my wife to OK the purchase of a new sub she will never go for ok'ing a new amp as well) Looking at doing a 6 cubic foot enclosure slot ported tuned around 32 Hz

Was looking at either the Ascendant audio Chaos 18 (dual 1 ohm coils) or possibly the Fi SSD 18 (again dual 1 ohm coils) Both call for up to 800 watts rms, and will work in ported enclosures in the 6 to 10 cubic foot range.

first question: is there an online dealer for ascendant or do you have to contact them directly for pricing? if anyone knows....

second: Does anyone here have any direct experience with either sub, and what is their thoughts?

third: Can anyone think of any other 18" subs that fit the bill (run at 2 ohms, off of 600 watts, in a 6 cubic foot box tuned around 32 Hz) that would be in the same price range as the fi SSD ($229.00)

fourth: if you can think of another, what is the reasoning behind the suggestion?

As for why I'm looking at doing this, well, I have ran single 10's and 12's, dual 10's and 12's, hooked up and listend to 15's in others vehicles. Currently have a single twelve in the truck (switched back today from dual 12's) and quite frankly, I'm bored and need something to tinker with. My ADHD is acting up and I'm going stir crazy....

Cool avitar with the electrical fuse, They make a nice bang when they blow.

best of luck with your build

I definately know what its like to get in trouble with the wife for the audio addiction. Youre not alone ...

friend of mine snapped that picture as he was calling the power company and fire dept. Said there were about half a dozen people standing about 10 ft away just watching. Also said about a minute after that pic it was dripping black melted metal and spitting like crazy, that's when he took off...

I don't have any experience with Ascendant, but as a suggestion check out the presale on the SA-15's by Sundown. For a little more money you could purchase 2 and the airspace recomended for one is 3cu ported so you could run 2 in the 6cu you talked about. Just a thought. Good luck with your wife and your project!

Pffff! Wife will get over it! My wife does .... Eventually!

Oh, she's generally pretty good about it. The only issue I can forsee being maybe that I just bought a pair of 12's about 2 months ago (bored with them already), oh that and we're trying to finish our basement, saving for a trip to PEI, oh and I forgot to mention, she is now pregnant with what will be our second child, so, that's why looking at doing this as my christmas gift, she's usally agreeable, as I buy my own gift every year (I'm picky and don't want to end up getting crap).

Any opinions though between those two? or another 18" that might work?

Sefugi - looked at those, but I think I really want to go with an 18", thanks though as they look like they could do some damage.

You may want to rethink the SA-15" from Sundown. The SA series is a very stout driver that can get ridiculously loud in a small enclosure. The SQ is outstanding as well. With the Pre-Order going this is one of the best buys right now!

If you got all those things in line, you should probably save the money for that. Why not build a new enclosure instead for more output or more SQ or whatever?

But if you must get an 18", why not look at Mach5 audio? They reside in Canada so you don't have to pay dues or international shipping. They still have the MJ18-Ms and the IXLs are awesome.

forgot about mach 5, will have to check them out.

just checked them out, couldn't find the mj18-m just the IXL 18 and it only comes in dual 2 ohm coils so it won't work (need 2 ohm final ) too bad though.

oh, and as for the SA presale, one little line in that first post says - for US residents only - so I couldn't anyway.

Edited by nigel

No one mentioned the ssd yet. I'll chime in on it, my buddy had 15 ssd running at around 700 watts in a 4.x cb ft box. It was a great sub for the price. It's really an entry level sub that will get the job done in a proper install. And fully loaded can take almost double the rms daily (clean power) if you ever wanna increase your power... Good luck

well, finally got ahold of the AA distributor for canada, well, after conversion on the fi ssd, the AA Chaos is $100 more, and it'll only be ~$10 more for shipping on the SSD, considering brokerage/duties, the SSD would still be ~$70 cheaper (more or less) so, looks like, unless there's another serious contender out there in it's price bracket, I will if I'm lucky, possibly order one for christmas. We'll see.

oh, and nick, at 800 watts rms, I would say it should be more than "entry level" the fi X series would be entry level with a 250 watt rms rating. IMO

couldn't find them on their website, if you could give me a link to one, then I'll check it out

Sensitivity - 94.2db (2.83 volts)

Impedance - 4 Ohm (SVC)

Recommended Box Sizes

Sealed - 93 litres (3.3 cu. ft.)

Ported - 142 litres (5 cu. ft.) 30Hz tuning

EBS - 283 litres (10 cu. ft.) 18Hz tuning

T/S Parameters

Fs = 24 Hz

Re = 3.6 Ohms

Qes = 0.37

Qms = 5.59

Qts = 0.36

Mms = 316.6 g

Rms = 8.5 kg/s

Cms = 0.14 mm/N

VAS = 210 litres

Sd = 1029.2 cm2

BL = 21.3

Xmax = 15 mm

Excellent for home audio, home theatre and car audio applications

3" single high temperature voice coil

Thick pulp cone with heavy foam surround

Double stacked motor

Vented pole

Up to 700 watts RMS power handling

You gotta email them about these. About 2 months ago, I talked to Mark and he had them in stock.