Sign in to follow this  
Tosh Henderson

Is my d3400 ok?

I've had a d3400 under my hood since feb. It put out great power no problems. Today while working on my truck I noticed one side has a slight bulge. The batt still works fine,just need to know if I should be concerned?

Test it with a DMM, take a picture as well to see if it is a bad buldge?

Feel free to send us a pic and we can take a look at it for you. The 3400s have a reinforced shell and can sometimes give the look of a slight bulge. There are a couple of quick ways to test it to see if it is still ok. You can either take it to an auto parts/battery store and have them hook it up on a Midtronics tester or charge the battery and then let is set for 12 to 24 hours. If the resting voltage is 12.9 or higher after that time frame you are fine.

If I was guessing I would say the battery is fine. The heat of the engine bays can sometimes cause the battery to swell, but for precaution reasons I would check the voltage output of the alternator. If a regulator goes bad in the alternator it can cause a spike in voltage, which would cause it to charge at too high of a voltage and the battery could swell from overcharging.

Let me know what you find either way and we will make sure you are taken care of.

Feel free to send us a pic and we can take a look at it for you. The 3400s have a reinforced shell and can sometimes give the look of a slight bulge. There are a couple of quick ways to test it to see if it is still ok. You can either take it to an auto parts/battery store and have them hook it up on a Midtronics tester or charge the battery and then let is set for 12 to 24 hours. If the resting voltage is 12.9 or higher after that time frame you are fine.

If I was guessing I would say the battery is fine. The heat of the engine bays can sometimes cause the battery to swell, but for precaution reasons I would check the voltage output of the alternator. If a regulator goes bad in the alternator it can cause a spike in voltage, which would cause it to charge at too high of a voltage and the battery could swell from overcharging.

Let me know what you find either way and we will make sure you are taken care of.

talk about customer service :fing34:

yes thats customer serv. as far as testing and holding charge it had set for close to two day when i tested it ,showed 12.8. and the side thats has slight buldge is only 2 inches from radiator ,so i think that could be the problem. my mechman alt tested out at 14.1 -14.4. I will try to get a pic later today with battery out of truck,again thnx for the reply nat

maybe the radiator is dissipating enough heat near the battery causing it to bulge, sounds likely. Do you have the xs power steel casing around your battery?

Could be heat from the radiator. We do not have a metal case for the 3400 series. If you can either post up some pics or shoot me an email nathan@xspowerbatteries.com and we will get it figured out.

If you were resting at 12.8 then you are good as far as the battery goes, but I would look at adding maybe a light metal piece to deflect some of the heat from the battery.