Sign in to follow this  
schwarzl

18" BTL vs. 2 - 15" SSD's

Curious as to what would get louder. Figure the 2 SSD's would get louder but I have always wanted a BTL. I have tons of space in my man van to use, if I remember, roughly 40 ish cubes for a box. Subs would be powered off a Crescendo 3k. My current electrical system is a stock 90 amp alt, which will be replaced with a 270 amp alt. Have a kinetik HC1400 for the front and a HC2400 for the back, probably pick up another HC2400. So, roughly with that information, and lets say that the BTL and the SSD's are in boxes tuned to 32ish hz, in there ideal space how much louder would the 2 15"s be? Thanks, Luke.

Edited by schwarzl

3.75dbs.

There is no way to tell which will be louder and by how much. 2 15s would have more cone area but the BTL is designed for all out spl. Honestly I don't know which will be louder.

Good luck and be sure to post a build log :)

You have just started a thread that will go along the lines as this one.

read the posting guidelines and know that sub vs sub "which is louder" topics aren't going to get you anywhere. its install dependent.

You have just started a thread that will go along the lines as this one.

read the posting guidelines and know that sub vs sub "which is louder" topics aren't going to get you anywhere. its install dependent.

only difference between this topic and the other is, the other guy was an arseho and this guy isn't :P

I know it is pretty much a waste of time asking. I am not really sure myself what I am looking for by asking. I guess I am just trying to figure out what to buy (if I can talk the wifie into it). How much power can the SSD's take, with the flat wind coil and the BP power? If I run the BTL I can run the amp at .5ohm with about 4000w, running the SSD's I could run at 1ohm or .5ohm, but dont think the SSD's would like close to 2000w a piece, although thats if it was running at 100% effic. with no rise. But anyways, its just a daily listener. I dont compete at all, yet. And I listen to all styles of music. For refrence, had a 12" BL of a US amps md1d and loved it. Switched to the Crescendo amp and a Mach5 SPL, got louder and I like it alot too, but now just want something louder and I really like the Fi's.

There is no reason to run that much power to SSDs or even a BTL for a daily system. Why not stick to specs? that's what they are there for

I know it is pretty much a waste of time asking. I am not really sure myself what I am looking for by asking. I guess I am just trying to figure out what to buy (if I can talk the wifie into it). How much power can the SSD's take, with the flat wind coil and the BP power? If I run the BTL I can run the amp at .5ohm with about 4000w, running the SSD's I could run at 1ohm or .5ohm, but dont think the SSD's would like close to 2000w a piece, although thats if it was running at 100% effic. with no rise. But anyways, its just a daily listener. I dont compete at all, yet. And I listen to all styles of music. For refrence, had a 12" BL of a US amps md1d and loved it. Switched to the Crescendo amp and a Mach5 SPL, got louder and I like it alot too, but now just want something louder and I really like the Fi's.

I wouldn't run any amp to 0.5ohms unless your competing and have a lot of imp rise to even it out.

Yea, I have no problem sticking to the specs. Another question, would the SSD's be able to hit lower notes better than the BTL and sustain the volume better, thereoretically. I know its all install that makes the difference.

Yea, I have no problem sticking to the specs. Another question, would the SSD's be able to hit lower notes better than the BTL and sustain the volume better, thereoretically. I know its all install that makes the difference.

I don't believe the ssds would hit lower notes louder then the btl would, enclosure tuning would make more of a difference ;)

I think I am leaning towards the single BTL. Price is a factor too, I figure two 15" SSD's would cost a bit more on shipping, could be wrong. But getting stuff into Canada is always a pain in the arse.

I think I am leaning towards the single BTL. Price is a factor too, I figure two 15" SSD's would cost a bit more on shipping, could be wrong. But getting stuff into Canada is always a pain in the arse.

I started with two drivers and switched to a single, definitely cheaper buying one verse two. Either direction you go, you won't be disappointed.

Sign in to follow this