Aaron Clinton

Install log on the SSA Mazda's

Yesterday afternoon, we came back to this build. Don took some quick photo's / short video, that I hope he has some time to post up later. We 'deadened' the roof with only 12 CLD tiles, and added one layer of Thinsulate between the head liner and the CLD. It was a little tricky getting the single piece headliner out, and I broke one seat belt mounting cover, but over all, it went much smoother then I expected. The major obstacle that we ran into was the stock recycled foam that was adhered to the underside of the roof with liberal amounts of adhesive. Luckily Don had some mineral spirits and a few plastic blades, and with some determination we were able to get 95% of it off.

Overall, as I said to Don, it is tricky to focus on something that is not there anymore, as in the noise that has either been dampened or isolated out. This project was a decent amount of work to treat the whole car, and quite a learning process along the way, but wow it was worth it. I really got to know my little car quite well and there were lots of little things that made me like it even more. From the best I can remember, the difference between the work we did on this little economy go-cart compared to the stock dampening on my old 2-door Panzer, the sound isolation is VERY close and dampening is equal. That is really surprising when it comes to the rolling vault I used to drive. Now, if you sit in the car, engine off, and shut the door, the thud is very solid and reassuring along with once you are sitting still, you can hear the friction of the air as you breathe. That is how well the isolation is now from the outside.

The Thinsulate was much easier to work with then I had imagined, and it compressed very nicely into the space provided, with the headliner fitting back up pretty nicely (outside of me steering the rear a tiny bit off). Not to mention, the cabin warmed up quite quickly today compared to normal. What is quite surprising, is that there is no visual clue to all the work done to the car, outside of a tiny bit of CLD tile I need to trim from under the rear hatch cover that is peaking out. Quite remarkable really when you think about how much material was added and how much of the car was effected. CLD/CCF/MLV over the entire floor, firewall, doors and hatch, with CLD and Thinsulate on the roof, leaving only the front quarter panels and the hood untouched. Total collective weight is not much considering the amount of surface covered and treated.

I owe a massive thank you to Don of Sound Deadener Showdown for his time and assistance in this build, I really learned a great deal, and I feel I have a much better grasp on the basic functions and ideals behind the madness. Yes, I know I had an advantage of being able to scoot right over to the source, but there are not many other audio people in my area. ;) So I can speak first hand on this system/method that SDS provides, as I know from actual experience that we transformed a thinly skinned, very light weight car, into matching (and in some spots surpassing) the dampening/deadening/isolation performance of a very solid, heavy gauge steel German luxury 2-door. This is with out a doubt, the quietest Mazda P5 in existence. :)

+1 for a nice comment. :)

Why did you use Thinsulate for the roof?

PS: Can't wait for the videos.

+1 for a nice comment. :)

Why did you use Thinsulate for the roof?

PS: Can't wait for the videos.

Thermal and sound isolation.

Don is one of only a few people that offer Thinsulate, so technically it is a SDS product.

Can't wait to see some pics and possibly the video.

Great work guys, looking forward to more pics on the roof!

nice addition. will be getting some of the thinsulate stuff soon. :)

I haven't updated in a while, but here it goes:

EZlip installed.  No more curb scuff. smile.png

IMAG0962.jpg

DDM HID's and PIAA Fog's on.

IMAG0114_zpse067e23e.jpg

TWM Adjustable rear sway bar.

IMG_20130307_121358_zpsa6ef7ec9.jpg

Sweet, how's it feel?

Fountek 89's in the A-pillars.  Pioneer Premier PRS880 & ZED Audio RA in the dash.  AA Carbon's in the doors.

9017474509_c0fef75a16_z.jpg

Sweet, how's it feel?

What part?

The ride.... lol .... when driving maybe?

Sweet, how's it feel?

What part?

Finally! More and better pictures Mr Clinton.

9018657580_57fcdc6ce5_z.jpg

ZED Minotaur II + Draconia III + Audio Control Matrix.

The ride.... lol .... when driving maybe?

Sweet, how's it feel?

What part?

Handling is greatly improved, took some adjustment, but a massive amount of understeer is dialed out.  Along with better stability due to a wider stance now.

XS Power XP 750 in the back to help the D5100R upfront.

9017460115_5a7b70b45f_z.jpg

minotaur 2 or 3???? I wants one BADLY... I'd consider doing things for it... lmao

I am still tuning everything.  Not ready to demo just yet.  I am extremely happy with the Fountek's so far.  So much so, I am almost kicking myself for not going full range before.  The staging, presence and level of detail is very surprising.  Better then most any off-axis small format tweet I can remember, even in SQ competitions & SBN's I have attended over the recent years.

The Fountek's are coming in at 1,250hz at a 24db slope, seeing minimal power.  8ohms and near zero gain from the Draconia and Matrix.  The Carbon's are picking up around there and going down to 63hz, where the sub is coming in.

At the moment, the Fcon (yes, the only one in existence ;) ) is in there in a 1.1 cube sealed box.  All the SDS is doing wonders. ;)

minotaur 2 or 3???? I wants one BADLY... I'd consider doing things for it... lmao

Version 2.  I have yet to really play with the array of adjustments.  I don't know of another mono block that comes close to it in that department.

Maybe I can add my other car's updates here.  But audio for that might be on hold until I can find a new fiberglasser.  For too long, I have had to put my own personal rides on the back burner due to work load, being a dad, and coaching soccer.  The itch is strong.

Nice updates Aaron. Hell if nothing else maybe we can get together and play with fiberglass to see if we can build it.