gps69

which sub for under rear seat of Explorer Sport-Trac

Plan "A" didn't work out so I need help with forming a plan"B". Plan "A" was to be a single 10" dcon under the passenger side rear seat. Can get the required airspace(.9 net) for the dcon but just cant get the depth to mount it. The sub could be installed but the magnet would literally be sitting on the back of the enclosure or the cone sitting on the floor.

I used the search function and see some recommend shallow mount subs while others recommend running eights. In the posts I read there were mixed reviews on the performance of the shallow mount subs while the eights seem to be fairly popular. I would definitley consider the Sundown Sa-8 but I'm not sure I could fit the required port externally. Is there any good site to determine port length needed. I may have done something wrong but it appears to me the PSP site says for a .66 cubic foot enclosure I would need one 4" port at 42" long for a tuning frequncy of 34hz. Can't fit that. The Sa-8's aren't supposed to be run sealed so if I need to go sealed then would the Sundown e8 from the pre-sale be a good choice. Sealed box requirements for those are tiny so I could probably fit two.

Goals would be good SQ but still be able to get down when needed. I have around 500 watts from an Alpine MRV1005 to power my subs. I listen to a little bit of everything except for country.

The port calculation is right.

You could try a SI BM mkIII but I don't think they are out yet.

im running 3 sa8s sealed in 1.4 net probably to big but haven't had any problems been running them a little over a month could be more time flys

Dayton audio has some new slim neo subs at parts express

Alpine is getting into the game also with the Type-R Thin.

Thanks for the suggestions. Been looking over all of them. Read some reviews and some of them say the shallow subs don't hit the lows like a regular sub because of the design and the limited excursion. Is this the case? Also found the Polk MM subs and Fosgate p3 shallow both of which have mounting depths under 5" which may be doable. Anyone have any opinions or experience with either of those subs? Still considering either of the Sundown eights. Just want the best I can get in there.

Of the shallows on the market, I personally would like to try the JL.

Thanks for the suggestions. Been looking over all of them. Read some reviews and some of them say the shallow subs don't hit the lows like a regular sub because of the design and the limited excursion. Is this the case? Also found the Polk MM subs and Fosgate p3 shallow both of which have mounting depths under 5" which may be doable. Anyone have any opinions or experience with either of those subs? Still considering either of the Sundown eights. Just want the best I can get in there.

Whom ever stated that in the review is just stupid. While some designs are better than others, The shallow design is just as apt to produce ground pounding bass as well as a standard driver.

I have experience with 3 of the drivers on my first list and one of them is the JL. I can tell you it's a nice driver, but not worth the coin. If it were around $250-$300, it would be worth it, but in comparison to the other drivers available, I think you get more bang for your buck going elsewhere.

I have experience with 3 of the drivers on my first list and one of them is the JL. I can tell you it's a nice driver, but not worth the coin. If it were around $250-$300, it would be worth it, but in comparison to the other drivers available, I think you get more bang for your buck going elsewhere.

Which three do you have the direct experience with? Pros or cons of those.

My last truck was an 07 sport trac and I have a JL 8w3v3 in a custom ported enclosure under the rear seat and it sounded really good for what it was. It didn't rattle your teeth but it accented my mids and highs perfectly.

Which three do you have the direct experience with? Pros or cons of those.

I won't say much as some people will say I am biased due to some previous ties, but aside from the high price tag of the JL, I don't fell any of them have any cons. They are all very effective at producing adequate amounts of sub bass in a diminutive package, but some work better in smaller enclosures, and some need some more power. The greatest problem with all of them though is, that as with most things, people will want more and these types of drivers are more naturally susceptible to mechanical and thermal damage.

I've been reading all over the internet the suggestions that have been made. Many of the reviews on shallow subs I've read say they lack deep bass extension, lack general sound quality and have a buzzing sound to them from the flat cone of the speaker. Some say they sound great and not really any different from standard depth subs.

The JL TW5 seems like a good option except for the 3 ohm coil. That wouldn't work with my Alpine amp. The SI BM also gets great reviews but again with dual 4 ohm coills not the best for my install. Not sure I have room for two of either of them.

Re Audio SL is tougher to find a review on. The few I did find seemed to be positive. Re Audio doesn't seem to be too popular on here or should I say very few people use them.

The Polk Audio MM1040 has a lot of good reviews and a shallow depth of around 4.5" which I could probably make work. Problem is most reviews are those left on retailers sites so I'm a little leary on those reviews.

Sundown Sa-8 is intriguing. I could make two fit but I would need to run a 3" aeroport externally to make them work length wise. Would a 3" port provide enough port area? Would there be too much port noise from the 3" even if mouinted under the rear seat. Each sub would be in it's own enclosure.

Sundown e8v.2 from pre-sale. Jacob posted they could be used in .2 to .3 ft.^3 sealed. I could make four of these work with a little work.

I've heard a pair of the pioneer shallow mounts personally and they were terrible. They were mounted in a pre fab box so I'm sure that had something to do with it but how much is the questions. If I'm wrong on these please let me know.

The Alpine type R thin are so new I can't find any reviews on them.

The JL is a nice speaker, but it is expensive, and I did hear it in a Stealthbox and I have yet to hear a bad stealth box.

The Aplines could be promising, but I have no experience with them.

The JL looks like a nice speaker but the 3ohm load just won't work with current amp and I'm not ready for an upgrade yet. So i guess I either take a chance on the Alpine type r thin or wait and see if the SI BM ever comes off backorder. I thought more people would comment on one of the Sundown 8" ideas I brought up.

The Sundown SA8s are monsters! If you can use them, Go for it! They really are that good.

The Sundown SA8s are monsters! If you can use them, Go for it! They really are that good.

Because SA-8's are monsters they don't fit...lol

But the Type R shallows seem good too

Would there be any problem running a 3" aeroport external for the Sa-8's? Each would be in it's own enclosure. i just don't have the room for the length of a 4" port.