I want an Alienware M15X. I don't want to switch up companies or computers. The 2 grand is fine with me.

Why didn't he like the Alienware?

I think he sepnt like 3,000 on it it was obsolete within 6 months, slew of problems.

you can do much better with other companies. Do you HAVE to have a laptop? You could build a killer desktop for less than probably 1,000.

I need a laptop because i stay in hotels roughly 200 days out of the year.

Since a lot of you guys are saying that is an over kill for me, do you think the base model + a couple hundred dollars of upgrades would be good enough for me?

Listen to me now and hear me later.

Alienware is not the computer company you want to go with. Unless you're buying it because you like how it looks, there are so many much much much better companies that you could deal with. My roomate builds and repairs computers as does my brother in law as a side buisness. While it may be a strong machine in general you're paying too much unless it's on a great sale. The only people that laptop would even impress are those geeky enough to know about video games and that company but not smart enough to shop around.

If you want something to putz around on the net but want something that will be faster than some 700 dollar POS buy a nice ASUS. Lenovo is also another brand I recomend and they are having a pretty good sale "employee pricing" and a few other discounts right now. It's your money if the alien makes you happy, then you should go for it. If you would rather get more for the same amount, or spend less then go with a different company.

If you want whole hog?

If you want something mind boggling check out falcon northwest if you want an impressive name behind the product. They build some of the best of the best and they RUN STABLE. Alienware is specifically known by most fellas who play with computers at that level for being unstable/crash prone. A laptop is not a desktop. It will never work like one. You're laptop may have better specs than your desktop for parts but it might run slower when working programs. It happens regularly when my roomates dual core smokes laptops with quads that he looks at.

If you want another brand with the high class feel to it, you can go with VooDoo. they partnered up with HP now though and will have less street cred than before. They used to be the pinnacle of fancy machines.

Actually falcon has a machine that is pretty awesome without being some insane mega machine that will be a 100% waste for you. I maxed out this one with the i7 (you wouldn't need that) and the waranty etc... It was only 2300. If you're in the 2k price range you can't beat the fact they will warranty ALL HARDWARE FOR 3 YEARS as an option and overnight to them and back to you at their cost. It also has a dead pixle warranty. That's insane.

You also get a free backpack made to fit it. Sounds stupid right? You said you travel allot, well having a snug home with sturdy protection and fabric for your laptop is spendy. Easy to spend 200 bucks on a bag.

As I said, you can do what you want and way more for probably around 700 bucks with lenovo or asus but if you want something different, and high level of quality and pride in a product it's hard to beat falcon.

http://build.falcon-nw.com/?s=3

Alienware is way overpriced, even for the power. If you're wanting to spend that much money but want something portable that doesn't suck, build a MicroATX desktop. They can be pretty light, and you can still use the same components as a normal desktop, just with a smaller mobo and case.

but even if you do want a laptop, I'd still say no to Alienware. It's now owned by Dell, and uh... Dell is Dell...

Edited by effse7en

Actually falcon has a machine that is pretty awesome without being some insane mega machine that will be a 100% waste for you. I maxed out this one with the i7 (you wouldn't need that) and the waranty etc... It was only 2300. If you're in the 2k price range you can't beat the fact they will warranty ALL HARDWARE FOR 3 YEARS as an option and overnight to them and back to you at their cost. It also has a dead pixle warranty. That's insane.

You also get a free backpack made to fit it. Sounds stupid right? You said you travel allot, well having a snug home with sturdy protection and fabric for your laptop is spendy. Easy to spend 200 bucks on a bag.

As I said, you can do what you want and way more for probably around 700 bucks with lenovo or asus but if you want something different, and high level of quality and pride in a product it's hard to beat falcon.

http://build.falcon-nw.com/?s=3

I'm on the Falcon website now, so far it looks good. The one with the i7 you were talking about is the DRX right?

No way. TLX

you do NOT need the top end model. It's battery life blows. It's made with desktop parts and weighs 12 lbs. It will be hot and not verry convienent.

Edit: if you want to make everyone jelly and have a super game machine the big boy would be nice.. but again... LOW bat life