Sign in to follow this  
liljestrand

Question about repairing an amp.

I have a power acoustik vu560-4x. Back in high school was being dumb when hooking it up and crossed a wire or two and basically it went up in smoke. Basically determined the problem to be 3 of these mosfets.

Just wondering how hard it would be to replace these. Would it be just some simple soldering? I figure the 5 bucks it would cost would be worth the try for a highs amp.

I have a power acoustik vu560-4x. Back in high school was being dumb when hooking it up and crossed a wire or two and basically it went up in smoke. Basically determined the problem to be 3 of these mosfets.

Just wondering how hard it would be to replace these. Would it be just some simple soldering? I figure the 5 bucks it would cost would be worth the try for a highs amp.

When replacing mosfets, you should replace all within that section. Meaning, if you are replacing some powersupply mosfets, replace ALL of the powersupply mosfets. If you are replacing mosfets in the output section, replace ALL of the mosfets in the output section. Make sure you buy them all at the same time and try to specify that they be from the same batch. Mosfets from different batches, even if they have the same part number, can have different internal resistance which will cause the ones with the lowest resistance to have more current which creates the possibility of those mosfets blowing.

When replacing mosfets, you should replace all within that section. Meaning, if you are replacing some powersupply mosfets, replace ALL of the powersupply mosfets. If you are replacing mosfets in the output section, replace ALL of the mosfets in the output section. Make sure you buy them all at the same time and try to specify that they be from the same batch. Mosfets from different batches, even if they have the same part number, can have different internal resistance which will cause the ones with the lowest resistance to have more current which creates the possibility of those mosfets blowing.

Thanks for that info. So.....could possibly be more of a headache than needed?