anthonyvo17

2 15" BTL or 2 15" SMD

What do you guys think i should get? 2 15" BTL or 2 15" SMD. Not for SPL but i want my daily driver to hit. Im getting a sundown 3500 for which ever i choose to go with. Is the SMD more expensive then the BTL?

Smd :3500 rms at about $1000 for one.

Btl : 2000 rms, look at Fi website, should be under $500.

With a 3500 watts rms amp you can run 2 btl's with a strong electrical system. You'll need another amp for the 2 smd's, and a much bigger electrical system.

The AA Mayhem looks nice too. I read somewhere it can play lower than the btl.

I'd love to try a 12" Mayhem one day !!

The SMD is more expensive. I'm not entirely sure on the exact cost; you'll have to contact an AA dealer for such information. Such as BKOLFO4 on this board. IIRC SMD's are a couple hundred more than the BTL's.

I take it your going for daily loud? I haven't read enough SMD builds to really give much feedback about them. BanginGMC i know just did a build about them (might have spelled his SN wrong) so i would definately check that out. Good luck

I'd go with the BTL's, but that is just me.

To Notorious, what do you mean they can play lower? Different kind of boxes tuned to different things have different outputs....but the Fs is lower on the BTL, than the Mayhems IIRC, but not by much.

For daily, Mayhems.

I think he is talking about posts i have made before - In both of my streetbeat setups, same box, same amps, the mayhems peaked at a lower frequency vs. BTLs. BTLs were slightly louder, but peaked a few Hz higher.

btls or mayhems. ive had both and listened to what brian (bkolfo) said...as hes the dealer i use and still owe a beer or 10...and the mayhems are my favorite. very aggressive !! i made and just posted a few videos check em out. as far as the smd goes i hear that they have a nasty impedance rise. it was spelled out for me but i have no clue what the hell was said. but i did get nasty impedance rise.

dude 2 15in btl's.... its going to feel like your heart is going to stop. lol

so... nasty impedance rise lowers stress on electrical system.

IF it can still play just as loud with less power received, that's great for a high power setup.

myself and a friend of mine made a box for an extended cab s10 at the start of summer for his treo ssx 18s---720$ each. we took the box out like a month ago so i put it in my car with the treos then swapped them for the mayhems. same amp same settings the mayhems are 2.8 dbs louder and i havent made them smell yet at full tilt were as the treos stunk up the car after 30 seconds 3/4 tilt

so... nasty impedance rise lowers stress on electrical system.

IF it can still play just as loud with less power received, that's great for a high power setup.

true on a high power set up but on a saz3500....thats only like 900watts or less a sub at 2ohms ish or higher

whereas we shouldnt be focused on how much the sub is receiving literally, are you implying that in that example if one were to take a sub of like specs with less rise that it would get louder?

I'm just curious because even you stated (even though it may not have been a complete fair comparison) that your Mayhem's were a lot louder and assumed higher rise at the same time.

Simply, just fill me in as to why you are making it a point about the low power consumption of very high rise drivers...

From what i've seen, really efficient motor designs have these side effects. I'm not a sub builder so i do not know why.

I've seen DC Soundlab comparison tests with stock vs SPL motor and was pleased to see an increase in pressure with 40% less power draw.

whereas we shouldnt be focused on how much the sub is receiving literally, are you implying that in that example if one were to take a sub of like specs with less rise that it would get louder?

I'm just curious because even you stated (even though it may not have been a complete fair comparison) that your Mayhem's were a lot louder and assumed higher rise at the same time.

Simply, just fill me in as to why you are making it a point about the low power consumption of very high rise drivers...

From what i've seen, really efficient motor designs have these side effects. I'm not a sub builder so i do not know why.

I've seen DC Soundlab comparison tests with stock vs SPL motor and was pleased to see an increase in pressure with 40% less power draw.

it maybe an efficient woofer but before i went out and spent between 900 and 1200 a woofer id want to know if the power id be giving it would be enough or if it'd be a better idea to step it down a bit. ive never had a woofer like that so i dont know about them either but if it has rise liike that will about 900watts a sub be enough

OH ok.. now i see where you're commin from :)

I'm thinkin on a different level.. i wasnt comparin it to a cheaper priced sub.. nvm.

0042lx.jpg

That was my choice..

If you have the room, and aren't going over 4000k for each sub, get the BTLs.

0042lx.jpg

That was my choice..

If you have the room, and aren't going over 4000k for each sub, get the BTLs.

show off...did u end up pickin up the carbons

Mayhems FTW :woot: I own the Mayhems and have heard the BTL's as well. Mayhems are BRUTAL and excellent for a daily setup

im still deciding. They still havent emailed me back with prices so i dont know. Maybe ill jus do the BTLs. where can i contact a dealer? I have one 18" BTl in my trunk right now and it hits pretty dam hard, cant smoke in my car cuz the vibration. How do i post pictures on here?