bigrank916

2002 Mercedes C230 kompressor coupe

I guess a good question to ask at this point is what music do you predominately listen to?  Reason I ask is you are going to get  different suggestions as  Jay listens to a lot of chopped and screwed and five listens to a lot of jazz an instrumental.  So yeah Tell us what you listen to and  speakers you have heard that you thought sounded loud/ good.

On 5/20/2017 at 6:53 PM, j-roadtatts said:

I guess a good question to ask at this point is what music do you predominately listen to?  Reason I ask is you are going to get  different suggestions as  Jay listens to a lot of chopped and screwed and five listens to a lot of jazz an instrumental.  So yeah Tell us what you listen to and  speakers you have heard that you thought sounded loud/ good.

I listen to a lot of rap. Not chopped and screwed but more like Jeezy and Gucci. I still love old gansta rap and 90s Rnb. Classic rock. Some trap sometimes. New age country and old. Elvis. Its eclectic. Mostly rap tho lol.

4 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

Yeah the Evils are pretty damn good and I was skeptical at first with it's specs vs other drivers I have used. When I first installed my one Evil to do some testing, I also installed a used Pioneer double-din that I got from my cousin. The midbass alone is what stood out to me, for some reason it seemed like I had subs again. Come to find out that my cousin had a customize preset set on Performance on the EQ and it didnt reset when I isntalled the h\u. It just showed me the potential of these drivers. Since I have very efficient and loud tweeters, I dont need my mids to play that loud or into higher frequencies. Just midrange output, the Eminence wins. But output over a larger bandwith without sacrficing the tonal sound and clear midrange, the Evil wins. 

I also read up on facebook, where SSA posted about a guy doing a swap from his PRVs to Evils and loved them. Yes with the 80PRS you have great processing, so need to worry there.

I have them in my wish list so I will most likely grab a pair just to see what they sound like. If they don't work out for what I need in this car, I can use them elsewhere. 

I had really liked the review that JBLcamry left on the PRV neo mids. He was pretty thorough and seemed to enjoy them a lot. I read plenty about everyone loving the evils too tho. I'm still pretty far away from the door process but when I get there, I might try a few cheap options from parts express to get a feel for what I want.

Ok I think I'm getting this. So lets just say I do a 2 way active since a 3 way isn't possible due to processing capabilities of my 80PRS.

Now my choices are matching up a midbass or midrange with a tweeter. I had an idea to use 4 evil midbass in the doors and evil tweets in the sail and A pillar. From what I've been reading, the midbass would be crossed around 100-120hz. Having a more true midbass driver I need a tweet that can play low. I know they are both SSA Evil but it sure seems like a match to me. Then cross the tweets at around 1.5khz. The sub i would say could be crossed at 63hz. 

Both mids would be in the driver door, one at the front and one at the back. The rear one will be the hardest to fit and technically it sits behind me and not sure if that would be a waste or not. There is no rear speakers besides those and I will be keeping the back seat so not sure how that might sound to passengers in the rear. Even then its at their feet. 

Idk what do you guys think of this? Am I on track?

I would just unplug the rears and leave them their, put that money elsewhere. Unless you plan on glassing your front doors and doing a pair of evil mids, just a thought. Or start with one in the factory location and see if that suffices.

2 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

I would just unplug the rears and leave them their, put that money elsewhere. Unless you plan on glassing your front doors and doing a pair of evil mids, just a thought. Or start with one in the factory location and see if that suffices.

The thot of glassing my front doors has crossed my mind for sure. I already removed the all the speakers so I dont think I wanna put back in crappy ones just to cover the hole. It wouldn't be that much to add the second set in the doors and my ocd tells me I HAVE to put something there, even tho it prob wouldn't make a difference lol. I'm going to start with a pair to play around with for fitment and sound. Then grab a dedicated midrange and try that. 

I would even say the tweet is barely  playing an octave and a half, as most music doesn't have a whole lot going on after 12-15k.

Good to hear you are back at it... and it's GO time!

Excellent choice on the speakers and tweets. They have great power response and flexibility for blending. They should fit your tastes very nicely. Have a set I've been enjoying the myself. :)

Back on tracks !

Waiting for more.

SSA speakers all around. Good choice ! :dancing:

16 hours ago, bigrank916 said:

Ok so I had some down time these last few months on this project due to construction going on around my house and not having the usual space to work in. Sucks tho cause now its gonna be cold and rainy but I wanna get this done bad! 

I just pulled the trigger tonight on all the goodies. Besides the new alt/batt if needed and wire etc, I will have everything I need to finish this build. Time to get crackin!

Sub- SSA Xcon 15"

Sub amp- SoundQubed 2200D

Mids/Highs amp- NVX JAD800.4

Mids- SSA Evil 6.5"

Tweets- SSA Evil 1"

I'm running the same setup except for an 10" XCON and a RF tT1500bdcp!

Liking this topic for sure. :)

On 5/26/2017 at 6:28 PM, bigrank916 said:

Ok I think I'm getting this. So lets just say I do a 2 way active since a 3 way isn't possible due to processing capabilities of my 80PRS.

Now my choices are matching up a midbass or midrange with a tweeter. I had an idea to use 4 evil midbass in the doors and evil tweets in the sail and A pillar. From what I've been reading, the midbass would be crossed around 100-120hz. Having a more true midbass driver I need a tweet that can play low. I know they are both SSA Evil but it sure seems like a match to me. Then cross the tweets at around 1.5khz. The sub i would say could be crossed at 63hz. 

Both mids would be in the driver door, one at the front and one at the back. The rear one will be the hardest to fit and technically it sits behind me and not sure if that would be a waste or not. There is no rear speakers besides those and I will be keeping the back seat so not sure how that might sound to passengers in the rear. Even then its at their feet. 

Idk what do you guys think of this? Am I on track?

I have the Evil tweets in the "tombstone pods" on the Wrangler, but the Evil mids are in pods in the dash (about knee level) facing me (I think that's "on axis").  I crossed the Evil tweets at 1500 and wasn't digging it.  I was much happier at 2500 and found the Evil mids blended in nicely at 2500; it was a lot smoother and warmer overall.  I'm still new to running active and need to do some eq'ing, but I am very happy with the Evil mids and tweets run active, I think you will be too.

2500 for the tweeters : that seems ok.

1500 : that's low IMO.

Good luck.

Thanks guys I've always wanted the SSA line. I bought an Icon for my daughter but she blew that so it needs a recone which I will be attempting someday. Now I will have my own :) So far I have the tweets, mids, and the sub amp. Still waiting on the rest but not needed yet. 

Reassembled some of the interior now. Just floorboards and front seats. Need to keep everything else open so I can run some wires under the center console. I thot about running them under the floor but decided against it. I will be running all my own wires to the speakers and bought plenty of that and new RCAs. I have a lot of old stuff but I wanted to go fresh on this build to make sure I had no issues with crap wiring.

I also picked up a 500 amp relay isolator. No I really didn't need one that big but it was cheaper than the 200 amp, go figure lol. I would like to keep the stereo on it own battery since this car has so much shit in the electrical dept already. I will be using a XS D3100 in the rear for the isolator so hopefully this will keep me from buying a HO alt for $800 that wouldn't be useful if I sell the car or get rid of it. The D3100 always can transfer I guess.

Also grabbed some thermal barrier for the headliner. Once that comes in I can reattach the headliner and hopefully that goes smoothly. I've been dreading that part of reassembly the most...

Would I benefit at all by getting an Alpine H701/C701 processor for my 80PRS head unit? I prob don't need it but I want it lol

7 minutes ago, bigrank916 said:

Would I benefit at all by getting an Alpine H701/C701 processor for my 80PRS head unit? I prob don't need it but I want it lol

To do what?  If you don't know the answer is no.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

To do what?  If you don't know the answer is no.

Always the strong voice of reason. And no idk lol

A 500 amp relay isolator ? That will need lots of current to blow/pop.

12 hours ago, Notorious97200 said:

A 500 amp relay isolator ? That will need lots of current to blow/pop.

Should I not try to use it?

On 11/12/2017 at 10:50 PM, bigrank916 said:

Should I not try to use it?

I'm a too bad electrician to tell you that!

Sorry ;) 

Been slowly getting at this build as the new year comes along. I installed the new headliner and it looks great. Still trying to find the damn wires to hook up the HU tho. 

I bought a new Bosch OEM alt for it and installed that about a month ago as well because the old one failed even tho it wasn't being driven. 18 years old tho so it went thru its lifespan I guess.