Sign in to follow this  
Jd377

Is 4 awg big enough for big 3?..

Alright so I have been waiting to get money for 1/0 wiring and then my friend who is in an automotive electrical class in a local college here messaged me and said that he thinks 4 awg would be big enough for my big 3 Since my alt is only a 70 amp alt and He read that 4 awg should carry up to 150 amps.. At least in that short of a run (1ft-5ft runs) Just wanna make sure if this will work before I buy it in about 45mins. I dont have enough yet for all the 1/0 but I have enough to afford 4 awg if it is good enough now.

After he said that i figured well 1/0 can carry more current at a time and quicker.. but.. If my alt only puts out 70 and 4 awg can carry 150.. Is there really any point in getting something that carries 300amps?.. Let me know if i'm wrong!!

I just wanna get this done if I can will 4awg cuz my lights dim and figure this would help until I get another battery later this year.

Thanks as always! :fing34:

I would say with running a stock alt that 4gauge is fine, but if you get a H/O alt down the road then I would run 0gauge.

4ft of 4gauge can carry 250 amperes so your good :)

Some will suggest just going with 0gauge but unless your upgrading your alt, I believe 4gauge is sufficient.

:)

It's better than nothing but I would do it in 0 gauge so you don't have to do it again if you decide to upgrade down the line.

Check out www.weldingsupply.com for good pricing on 0 gauge.

:) thanks for fast replies! I went to my local audio shop and got 8ft of 4awg for $2 a foot.. But the guy was awesome and gave me 2 extra Feet free because it was the end of the spool! :D! Glad I went when i did and also no shipping charges!

You guys rock thanks for replying so fast! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

lol... stop asking question JD.... hahaha .. TBH I always ebay my wires and have yet to be disappointed. 50ft spool of 1/0 awg wire cost me about 85 beans IIRC...