padoras_box

Homework help!!!!!!!!!!!&#

Ok i need some help.....i am doing a business and marketing plan(IMC) for a car audio company(mostly enclosures) and when i went to a nameless place(audio store here) i asked the guy what the difference is between ported and sealed box

He said nothing....now i know there is a difference i just not sure the reasons...i need to be able to explain it in my presentation in november..

if you use acrynoms or intials(spl or rms) please tell me what they mean so i can use them. i am expected to know all about whatever i present. :5shots:

Whomever said that is an ass and needs to be shot.

The main different is that a ported box has a port that is tuned to a certaint frequency, such as 30 hertz (Once cycle per second. The term was derived from the name of the 19th Century German physicist, Heinrich Hertz) the tuning frequency can vary between either goals or the woofer. A ported box is much more efficient than a sealed box. Every woofer is different typically woofers with lower motor force (high QTS) will require a sealed box to not sound like ass. Higher motor force woofers typically are always ported.

( correct me if I'm wrong guys)

u can go to www.the12volt.com or www.bcae1.com and read up.

u can go to www.the12volt.com or www.bcae1.com and read up.

i went there but i find it easier to get a "human" explanation because like i said if i get called on anything during the presentation i have to be aqble to explain it to someone who has no idea what a sub is :trippy: .

but i have used that site alot during my intial reports.

Would it be better to actually talk to someone in person?

It sounds like you need a counter person to answer questions on things u read about...

It sounds like you need a counter person to answer questions on things u read about...

i just need a reliable source of information and around here that is like asking for a golden cow

i just need a reliable source of information and around here that is like asking for a golden cow

all i have is christopher and a few people who know less than i do....but think they know it all.. :suicide-santa:

Read this whole article.

It would be helpful to know what you already know and what you don't. Or, what exactly it is you need to know. There can be entire books written on the specifics of enclosure design and the physics of how they work and why.

And after all, this sounds like a business class not an engineering class. At some point even the business people say "go ask the engineers".

It would be helpful to know what you already know and what you don't. Or, what exactly it is you need to know. There can be entire books written on the specifics of enclosure design and the physics of how they work and why.

And after all, this sounds like a business class not an engineering class. At some point even the business people say "go ask the engineers".

this homework i am doing relates to a class and a real life application im doing this for a real business as well. thats why i need to know this and i would like to know it too since i help christopher build and so his stereo stuff. I just want to know the basic answers like one can be built to a certain frequency. As i am most likely taking a set-up into my presentation i need to know how it works.

I am also doing a small business management class which relates to this project so thats why i need the set-up.

this is awesome ^_^ omg if i could kiss you i would....... :wub:

:jump:

Thats from the "technical info & how to" section here on SSA. Lots of good info in there.

Gotta know the lingo.

Here is another good link.

http://www.bcae1.com/

yes i do and everytime i ask for answer people use abbreviations which drives me crazy because then i have to ask what that means.

business wise the difference between a ported box and a sealed box is dramatic. a ported box is going to take more materials (upwards of 50%), more time to construct, and more time to engineer. thats on the production side though. engineering time is a one time cost. labor should be a constant cost. materials are based on a commodity and will be variable, but relatively constant and predictable.

as far as marketing, a ported box is going to be louder. a loud box is going to be a selling point, especially if your box is "louder" than your competition. this is why most prefab boxes have a high tuning frequency. the higher tuning results in a higher peak therefore a "louder" box that can be proved by a decibel meter. the downside is sound quality is less than optimal but that is less of a selling point. unfortunately the subwoofer market is driven by the desire to be "loud" and less about sounding "good". but as a business person you are at the mercy of your customers. you can mass appeal with a "loud" box, or tailor your product to a niche market with a properly constructed enclosure.

i just want to throw this out there, but if you are in college as a business major, i would advise switching to something more specific or in demand. at least switch to accounting and get a cpa. otherwise you will be entering the real world with the college equivalent of a GED. a business degree doesnt mean much these days. trust me, i know. i got mine in 07

thank you for the advice but my major isnt business. i have a dual major in tourism and marketing...which around where i live opens lots and lots of doors...and high paying doors.

and some people tend to forget that im learning as i go along.

and usually this project is done in relation to something touristy but because my fiance is starting a business i weaseled my teachers into letting me to this project for him. and i have a legal background which helps alot.

but i do understand where your coming from i did half my education degree already.