Sign in to follow this  
Robert.Metzel

Help with setting up active front stage

Never ran active in my life so I have some questions

Amp is a SAX-100.4

Comps are the Cresendo CCX65.

They are rated at 100 rms a side. Doing this passive is easy, but I am wondering how to split the power levels between the mids and the high's. 50/50? 75/25? Or even 99/1? (heard the tweeters are kinda bright lol)

When setting gains if I want say 75 watts on the rear channels I'd play 1000hz test tone. Hook the dmm to 1 rear channel and turn the gain till the dmm reads 17.32 volts correct? So that should be 75 watts per channel. ( 4 ohm load )

I plan on crossing the mids and highs at 3000hz, so should I still use the 1000hz test for setting the gains on the highs respective channels? If not what tone for the highs?

Crossover settings:

Fronts: (highs)

Set to HPF. So would I set the hp filter to 300hz and use the x10 correct. Subsonic filter at the same 300hz setting? And 12db or 24 db for this cross?

Rears: (mids)

Set to full. I wanna cross at 80hz so LPF set to 80hz. HP set to 300hz x10. 12db fall off, subsonic set at 80hz?

Setting correct? After that its just a lot of fine tuning to get it where everything flows well and sounds good. Any good songs for this or even test tracks?

Ok gurus, go to work!

Thanks for the knowledge in advance. :drink40:

Edited by Teampapi79

Your not going to set the gains on your highs with a DMM.

Going to have to trust your ears.

Your not going to set the gains on your highs with a DMM.

Going to have to trust your ears.

second this... especially if you're claiming they are "bright" .... don't wanna set a random gain that really won't mix with the mids...

You have your mid crossovers backwards. high pass filter at 80 hz, lowpass at 3000. For those you use the subsonic as the highpass filter at 80 hz. You can't use both the regular lpf and hpf at the same time.

Tweeters don't need subsonic filter. Just highpass around 3000. 12 or 24 db/octave slope depends on how they sound.

Ok, so Highs settings are correct. 12db-24db based on sound

Mids, Channels set to Full. HPF at 80 and LPF at 3000 but still set the SSF to 80? I don't understand what you mean? I get that they were reversed. I don't understand this: "high pass filter at 80 hz, lowpass at 3000. For those you use the subsonic as the highpass filter at 80 hz. You can't use both the regular lpf and hpf at the same time."

Are you talking about running the fronts at HPF setting at 3000hz and rears at HPF setting too? Then just using the SSF for the 80hz crossover point? I thought the full switch setting was so you could use both HPF and LPF at the same time? So confused right now. lol

Highs set by ear. What about power to the mids though? Just slowly turn the gain up until I hear distortion then back it off?

Picture of amp so I can actual look at it while I read and understand: Highs ch 1/2 - Mids ch 3/4

5042391835_f93923813b_b.jpg

No, the full setting means NEITHER crossover is used. Full means full frequency band is passed through to the speakers. As I said, you cannot use both the highpass and lowpass at the same time. So you use the lowpass at 3k for the mids on channels 3/4, then use the subsonic filter (because that's separate from the hpf/full/lpf switch) as the high pass filter on the bottom end for the mids.

No, the full setting means NEITHER crossover is used. Full means full frequency band is passed through to the speakers. As I said, you cannot use both the highpass and lowpass at the same time. So you use the lowpass at 3k for the mids on channels 3/4, then use the subsonic filter (because that's separate from the hpf/full/lpf switch) as the high pass filter on the bottom end for the mids.

Got it! Thanks again! Not sure when I'm going to install it. Reconing to 15's so my cargo area is gonna completely change.