genisiss1

SPL in a Ford Explorer

Does anyone have any ideas of box designs for two 18'' xcons or two Fi bti subs in a Explorer behind the rear seats since I cant build a wall?

Why those woofers? They are made for very different things.

What are your goals?

I drive an expedition and a single 18 is a bitch. If I were you, I'd go with 2 15's. If done right, they would sound better than 2 18's in box that'll more than likely be too small. Just my two cents.

You can fit over 10 cubes in a seat level box in an explorer so more than enough room for a single 18 or 2 15s and may be able to squeeze 2 18s but that depends on what 18s and power

Edited by mikee72

Don't forget room for displacement...

I have around 20 cubes in a wall behind the second row seat or a 15 cube box alittle higher than the rear window line and I plan on running around 6,000 watts with the amps and batteries taking place of where the rear seats would be and I plan on a every day street beater with some SPL comps from time to time. Thanks for the help and more advice would really be great!

Does anyone have any ideas of box designs for two 18'' xcons or two Fi bti subs in a Explorer behind the rear seats since I cant build a wall?

I had four 15'' Audiopipe TXXSPL-15 subs with around 3,000 watts rms in it last year and it didnt do anything for numbers just knocked the rear view mirror of and flexed the B pillars like crazy... So something differant would be more of a challenge and I think I might have better luck of getting into the mid 150's as a everyday street beater..

Well mines 13.35cuft @ 33Hz including sub and port displacement. Its huge :v really considering building a new box here soon.

I drive an expedition and a single 18 is a bitch. If I were you, I'd go with 2 15's. If done right, they would sound better than 2 18's in box that'll more than likely be too small. Just my two cents.

How are you finding a single 18 to be a bitch? 3rd rown up?

If so remember the explorer only has 3 rows and more room behind the 2nd row than the expedition has behind the 3rd.

J

You are asking saying you can't build a wall then later say you have a wall. I am confused as to what your goals are exactly.

I had an explorer for a very long time, and went through countless enclosures in it. For pure output, the best results I had were from glorified or largely scaled up "CRX" style boxes.

You are asking saying you can't build a wall then later say you have a wall. I am confused as to what your goals are exactly.

I had an explorer for a very long time, and went through countless enclosures in it. For pure output, the best results I had were from glorified or largely scaled up "CRX" style boxes.

I am sorry for the mix up! I ment to say is that I have a son and cannot build a wall right behind the drivers seat. I can and had a wall before behind the second row seat but do to airspace and room I wouldnt be able to fit two 18's beside each other.

Well mines 13.35cuft @ 33Hz including sub and port displacement. Its huge :v really considering building a new box here soon.

What kind of box did you have? Was it more like a CRX style box or just a standard slot port?

What kind of box did you have? Was it more like a CRX style box or just a standard slot port?

IMAG0030.jpg

Thanks very nice!

Edited by genisiss1

Okay basic slot port. Try re-bulding the same size but this time with the port on the bottom going back towards the hatch.

J

With the same size port or shrink it down?

Edited by genisiss1

If you was to put the port towards the back at the bottom wouldnt that choke the air flow rather than having the port back towards the top?

If you was to put the port towards the back at the bottom wouldnt that choke the air flow rather than having the port back towards the top?

Did you ever get a answer to this? I'm curious as well since I too drive a explorer

Did you ever get a answer to this? I'm curious as well since I too drive a explorer

As long as you have enough room for the port to fire into you should be fine. If you get to the point where the rear gate is closer to the box than the smaller dimension of your port(ie: 4" from the gate with a 34"x6" port), then you'd be better off building the box all the way to the gate and fire the sub and port up.

Why not use aeroports instead of a slot port? A long time ago i read in another thread that KU40 was talking about how aeroports are more efficient than slots and therefore require less port volume to have the same amount of port noise (or lack thereof) than a slot port. So if it was me, who owns an explorer and a 18btl, i would use aeroports if i bought another 18. Cause the space back there is REALLY tight for 2 18's. Tons of people have tried and have had these threads. Good luck man i hope you can make it work so then i can get ideas!

Aeroports are a good option if you're looking to save space. It just comes down to if you're willing to spend $100 on a trio of 6" ports, in this case.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Its not hard to build your own aeros, 6inch pvc at lows and make your own wooden flanges

I take it you've done this, have any pics? Also, how are you getting a big flare with wood(I'm assuming MDF)?

Just curious...

Edited by RAM_Designs