As most of you know i am doing an imc plan for an audio enclosure company. During my research i read that cars equipped for SPL cannot play normal music. I want to know if that is true. I need to do a a technolgy review and i want to mke sure i know the difference between systems designed for SPL vs systems designed for SQ.

I would say yes, an spl could play music. Could it win an sq comp... prolly not. why dont you tell us hat you know, and well tell you if your right. rather than having someone write a 10 page paper and wasting space. Just a thought.

As most of you know i am doing an imc plan for an audio enclosure company. During my research i read that cars equipped for SPL cannot play normal music. I want to know if that is true. I need to do a a technolgy review and i want to mke sure i know the difference between systems designed for SPL vs systems designed for SQ.

It is true if the car is dedicated to be a strictly SPL setup, as most are tuned rather high to be around the car's peak frequency repsonse. The higher the tuning the louder the db's the car should produce and be more of a burp car than a musical car. Some people do have SPL vehicles that can do well on music but they are not tuned that high, they usually have more cone area and power to help achieve those same high db numbers but usually these are more musical. Honestly it depends on the goals and if you have a car built truly for SPL or you just want an Ultimate Ground Pounder. Hope that helps

P.S. SQ systems are designed strictly for music usually, to have the best reproduction of the recorded material as if you were at a concert or in the recording studio itself. These cars are never worried about how loud they get but rather how good they sound, output in terms of db's is not a concern as it is in SPL. SQ can be subjective because what sounds good to some doesnt to others and so-on.

In a few words : SQ means that you want the most accurate system to play music, and SPL is only made to reach the biggest db numbers with the sub(no need to run speakers at all).

SPL : burrrrrp box, high tune

SQ : you :peepwall:try to play music as a home audio system.

just my 2cents!

I would say yes, an spl could play music. Could it win an sq comp... probably not. why dont you tell us hat you know, and well tell you if your right. rather than having someone write a 10 page paper and wasting space. Just a thought.

alright from what i read and what i was just told. SPL systems are designed to obtain high decibal readings. From what i read in an article about car audio these systems are not able to play normal music. I knowthe difference between the two main systems(SPL and SQ) and you cannot have a system that favours both. A system either is designed for spl or sq.

If i wanted to build a system devoted soley to spl, what kind of equipment would i want to install. i dot need names or prices but lets say i used my fiances system as a comparision. he has fi btl 12" 1500 rms, saz-2000D and bravox speakers(not quite sure which). Which system would this set-up be best for?

You are lucky your a girl with all these silly questions or you would have your own thread just like Fi Baby does.

I suggest you go to a show and sit in a few different cars. Both SPL and SQ set ups. At the very least use the search button.

A pure SPL sub would not be able to play music. It would destroy itself.

thank you thats what i wanted to know.

Yeah, be sure to throw "Daily" into the mix, it;s generally considered to be in the middle of SQ and SPL.

He was being sarcastic. Anything can play normal music.

You don't have to have only one or the other. There is very much a range from 0-100 in the SPL-SQ ratio. You can definitely have a 50/50 mix IMO. For instance, my ported box tuned to 30 hz is about 50/50. It has a bit of a bloated 30-40 hz response, but definitely plays more frequencies better than a box tuned to 50 hz for an SPL competition would.

You don't have to have only one or the other. There is very much a range from 0-100 in the SPL-SQ ratio. You can definitely have a 50/50 mix IMO. For instance, my ported box tuned to 30 hz is about 50/50. It has a bit of a bloated 30-40 hz response, but definitely plays more frequencies better than a box tuned to 50 hz for an SPL competition would.

e wasn't being sarcastic at all. Specifically designed SPL subs will not fare well with music and will destroy themselves. An SPL install should have an SPL driver, that is of course if you actually want to win which would mean indeed a true SPL install would destroy the sub if it were playing music.

Yeah, be sure to throw "Daily" into the mix, it;s generally considered to be in the middle of SQ and SPL.

Not at all. Daily is another horribly inconsistent and never used appropriately term just like SQ and SPL. 99.999% of people that use the term daily are really referring to an SPL oriented sub that isn't so SPL oriented that it can actually play music.

e wasn't being sarcastic at all. Specifically designed SPL subs will not fare well with music and will destroy themselves. An SPL install should have an SPL driver, that is of course if you actually want to win which would mean indeed a true SPL install would destroy the sub if it were playing music.

Not at all. Daily is another horribly inconsistent and never used appropriately term just like SQ and SPL. 99.999% of people that use the term daily are really referring to an SPL oriented sub that isn't so SPL oriented that it can actually play music.

Not to get into a tussle or anything Sean, but that's why I put "Generally considered" in there. SQ and SPl are polar opposits, we agree on that. Daily is more in the middle of that, as a system that will not sound bad by any means, and is not a one note wonder.

I just don't think a sub would destroy itself. If your box is tuned to 50 hz for a true SPL install you could still just raise your subsonic filter to 48 hz or so, and with a steep enough slope it should be fine. It will sound like poop because its usable frequency range will be so small, yes, but I don't see how having extra spiders, motor force, etc. would destroy a sub on music.

Without adding to the mix from what I have known an SPL setup will be turned not to leave a certain set of frequencies. Once its out of there the amps usually send clipped signals, the subwoofer gets a squared sound wave and with the pressure the box is now undergoing it lets out magic smoke.

As for your fiance, he has a mutt setup. His speakers are designed for SQ, the BTL sub is optomized for SPL, and without knowing about his box god knows how that is set up.

If your working for a car audio enclosure company shouldnt you alreadky know a shit ton more than us about design, goals of the design and how to achieve them?

J

Not to get into a tussle or anything Sean, but that's why I put "Generally considered" in there. SQ and SPl are polar opposits, we agree on that. Daily is more in the middle of that, as a system that will not sound bad by any means, and is not a one note wonder.

Not how 99.999% of people use it. Either way it is another subjective and stupid term for anyone to use. Somewhere between two polar opposites has a rather large window...

Everytime I read Daily on this or other forums it is some dumbass who doesn't at all want SQ, but wants to be as loud as possible daily. Amusingly most of those people would have no idea if they had a one note wonder. I would agree that daily says you will play music, but has nothing at all in its description about fidelity. Obviously I listen to my system daily, but again this is about a term that is misused on the web as it has a subjective meaning. It is the average subjective meaning that we are describing and people that lean towards SQ don't use it. So in the middle yes, but hardly. Pretty much SPL, but not as extreme as modifying the sub for exclusively that purpose.

I just don't think a sub would destroy itself. If your box is tuned to 50 hz for a true SPL install you could still just raise your subsonic filter to 48 hz or so, and with a steep enough slope it should be fine. It will sound like poop because its usable frequency range will be so small, yes, but I don't see how having extra spiders, motor force, etc. would destroy a sub on music.

I dare you to play music on a BTL with the SPL option.

I dare you to play music on a BTL with the SPL option.

Oh, because of the tighter gap? I see what you're saying. Wouldn't it still be technically feasible, though, if you kept the woofer within linear limits with lower power so that the coil wouldn't rock and rub?

The point is that with music you CAN'T keep it within its limit.

""SQL""

Isn't that a database format?

Isn't that a database format?

:lol2:

um what is a "pure spl sub" ? , please describe & give examples

when i have my box tuned to SPL mode (it has removable ports) my sub can still play music , however its high tuned like 45hz so on music its not the most musical or accurate

The Fi BTL with the spl option for a tighter gap was already given as an example.

So did you ever figure it out?

\

J