harveywong

mounting screws for amp keep coming loose

My amp is currently mounted on top of my sub box at the moment. How can I keep the screws (drywall) from coming loose or snapping off? What kind of screws or nuts and bolts do you guys recommend? Eventually I will mount the amp somewhere else but for now that's where it will stay.

My amp is currently mounted on top of my sub box at the moment. How can I keep the screws (drywall) from coming loose or snapping off? What kind of screws or nuts and bolts do you guys recommend? Eventually I will mount the amp somewhere else but for now that's where it will stay.

Then there is no way to stop them from loosening.

If they are coming loose it would seem that your sub box is vibrating a lot. Brace the inside of your box.

If they are coming loose it would seem that your sub box is vibrating a lot. Brace the inside of your box.

I totally agree !

I braced the inside of my box, and I can tell you it does not vibrate to loosen anything !!! When you hit the box, it seems really...tight and strong.

A friend of mine has a huge box for his xcon's, with triple baffle on top, and you can't feel it vibrate when the bass hits !!!

:peepwall:

mount the amp somewhere else. Or its up to you if you want to buy a new amp in the future :ehh:

You're box shouldn't be vibrating enough to loosen drywall screws in the wood. Reinforce your box and make sure it's properly secured inside the vehicle or the screws loosening may be the least of your worries :suicide-santa:

Edited by pipes

First, you shouldn't be using drywall screws to mount an amp. Second, unless you stripped the screw holes during the install, they will not vibrate loose. Third, the sub box shouldn't vibrate any more than anything else in the car, if it is, it's built like utter crap. The sub box should be the most stable place in the car, in fact.