PhishHead

Fi IB3

I am thinking about doing an IB setup next. Was wondering what would be better for me to try to do. 2 15'' or 2 12'' or trying to squeeze 2 18'' subs into my car. Right now I have the big 3 done stock batt and I am driving a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe. Mind you this IB setup will be going in my trunk and the seats will be folded down during use. Oh and I am using a SAX-1200D so I have got plenty of power. My other question is the power rating on these or 550 rms at 20hz. Does that mean I would tune my amp to put out rms power at 20hz? New to the idea of IB so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Go with the biggest ones you can afford and fit. Also e-mail them and let them know they are going in a car so the sub can be optimized for car audio use. Good luck.

So how would car use be different than any other. I'm really new to this IB idea. Do you have any tips on what to do. I have followed your build log and you are the reason I wanted to try this out.

The subs are optimized for home use. There are better parameters for the smaller confines of a car. As for tips, do everything I did, but do it better. :) The best thing you can do is make an ultra rigid baffle.

So from what I understood from your other post. Would I almost be better off doing 1 18 rather than 2? Seems like it would have more air space. I guess I will talk to the guys from Fi and see what they have to say.

Cone area and displacement reigns supreme..

If you want more output stuff 2 of them in there. You aren't going to get a perfect alignment in a car either way you go..but regardless of who wants to argue and get anal about something. As much cone area as you can stuff in that thing is going to be the loudest, regardless if you don't have 10x the VAS for volume. It will sound fine...done it numerous times myself and plenty of people have as well.

The subs are optimized for home use. There are better parameters for the smaller confines of a car. As for tips, do everything I did, but do it better. :) The best thing you can do is make an ultra rigid baffle.

to add to that.

from experience with ib myself. focus lots of time on the rear deck, plugging holes and deadening. maybe even get creative with some bracing.

That 1200d may be a little much for IB. It doesn't take much for IB subs to reach their limits. Most IB setups I've seen have been no more than 500-750 watts