brandonf

Looking for a new car

This weekend, I blew the head gasket in my 96 Volvo 850 GLT.. in a rather NASCAR-style way. I was cruising 45mph and suddenly smoke everywhere, completely filled the cabin of the car with windows down, and I could barely see the car behind me. I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket, sounds fine running it, but just tons of smoke pours out the exhaust.

Anyway, I'm looking for a newer used car (2006'ish), somewhat sporty (~200hp+), preferably a manual (doesn't have to, but preferably). I have no clue what my credit is, however I recently paid off my credit cards to $0 (from about $5k total) and only had a couple monthly required payments, so my credit *should* be pretty good. I'll end up spending around $12k or so, up to $15k at the very most. My buddies have recommended a Subaru WRX or a VW GTI. Any other recommendations?

RIP volvo :(((( You looking for a sporty type car tones of choices out their bro wont be that hard.

I would suggest a volvo s60 from 2001 and up just in your price range has the hp and its a volvo the swedish know what's up! Dont have to listen to me just the volvo maniac.

RIP volvo :(((( You looking for a sporty type car tones of choices out their bro wont be that hard.

I would suggest a volvo s60 from 2001 and up just in your price range has the hp and its a volvo the swedish know what's up! Dont have to listen to me just the volvo maniac.

That was the third volvo I owned (two 850 GLT's and a 760 turbo), brother has a s60, dad drives a s80, and mom drives a xc90. I was checking out the c30, but it's a little out of my price range... we're certainly familiar with volvo's, maybe i'll keep the trend with a s40/60. Thanks for the input!

The S40 is a very solid car. :)

Same lol sister has a 940, I drive a 92 sedan 240 and just got me a 92 wagon 240. Also a wrecked 85 wagon :((( also.

Difference between the s40 and the s60 is the s40 is smaller then the s60. The s80 is just more luxury then the s60.

what about a 2004,2005 acura tsx? Acura makes nice looking cars. Pretty reliable too.

G35

Tsx is nice but the power to weight ratio sucks.

Maxima

15k might get you an 04-05 acura tl a-spec

G35

Tsx is nice but the power to weight ratio sucks.

Maxima

15k might get you an 04-05 acura tl a-spec

Thanks for the info! It turns out there was something wrong with the oil trap, replaced it and good to go! :)

I'm still getting a new car, but in a few months after saving up some for the down payment.

Mazdaspeed 3's are really coming down in price, they handle great and are pretty quick from the factory, my buddy has one, made 260hp to the tire with a K&N air intake.

if you are going to have more money, STI.... STI... OR... STI!!!!!!!!!

thats my current dream car, of course a DBS, Murceliago, or 458 Italia would be nice, but as far as "realistic" dreams go, STI all the way.

Mazdaspeed 3's are really coming down in price, they handle great and are pretty quick from the factory, my buddy has one, made 260hp to the tire with a K&N air intake.

:fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

I hear STIs have a glass trans and that EVOs are the better choice in the current AWD turbo battle. That's just what I hear though... :peepwall:

Personally... well...

Look for the engine bay shot...

Dead brand, but it's still got a tuning community!

I hear STIs have a glass trans and that EVOs are the better choice in the current AWD turbo battle. That's just what I hear though... :peepwall:

WRXs are the ones with the weak trannies. The STI (which technically used to be a WRX STI) has a much better transmission. A much better a lot of things besides just the tranny, like turbo, differential, AWD computer, engine internals, wheels, suspension, and frame.

Evos are also good.

But, no clutch dropping on an Evo or STI unless you want to tear your shit apart wicked fast. That AWD grip is a beast for any transmission. Two-step clutch feathering is the way to go.

You'll be hard pressed to find an Evo for 15k. Consider also: SRT4, Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt Turbo (the quickest of the three)

Edited by ZMX

No 8cyl love?

You can get a cobra for the 10-14k range.

Heres a short list. mazdaspeed 3, srt4, cobalt turbo, 04-06 gto, 03-04 supercharged cobra, 05+ mustang gt, mazdaspeed 6, s60r, v70r, 98-02 camaro/trans am

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO, 2005-06 is better (50 more hp)

Mustang GT

Saab 9-3

Audi S4

Mazda RX-8 (idk anything about them but there are a bunch for sale around me in Michigan)

those are the cars i just found on my local craigslist for sale in the price range you specified. i've been in all them except the rx8 and i loved them all.

So I finally picked up a new car, 2011 mazdaspeed 3! It's a 6-speed manual hatchback, 2.3l turbo fwd w/ 263 hp :fing34:

Thanks for the help all, didn't even know about the mazdaspeed's before this thread. :)

:fing34:

So I finally picked up a new car, 2011 mazdaspeed 3! It's a 6-speed manual hatchback, 2.3l turbo fwd w/ 263 hp :fing34:

Thanks for the help all, didn't even know about the mazdaspeed's before this thread. :)

Sweet! The interiors are so nice. New build log in the future? :drink40:

I do have a dc alt that I never used and need to return/trade for a new one, and a loot of parts in my room. And if the khaotik enclosure fits in the back, it'll find its way in the car soon. :D

Excellent! Now let's see some pics.

WRXs are the ones with the weak trannies. The STI (which technically used to be a WRX STI) has a much better transmission. A much better a lot of things besides just the tranny, like turbo, differential, AWD computer, engine internals, wheels, suspension, and frame.

Evos are also good.

But, no clutch dropping on an Evo or STI unless you want to tear your shit apart wicked fast. That AWD grip is a beast for any transmission. Two-step clutch feathering is the way to go.

You'll be hard pressed to find an Evo for 15k. Consider also: SRT4, Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt Turbo (the quickest of the three)

yea the sti has a better transmission than the wrx.I have an 02 wrx with 140k miles stock transmission and I drive the shit out of it!

:fing34: