altoncustomtech

SLOW build on a 2001 GMC Jimmy

lol, I hate doing that... I always delete something I need and have a hell of a hard time finding again.

I'm wondering how much doing this would or could be in demand. Given Mark and Aaron's blessing, and any other manufacturer that could possibly be involved, I think people might like to be able to import the exact driver they're using for a particular build. It could and would help with figuring out how things fit, whether or not a certain configuration would be possible, all sorts of stuff.

If enough people would want them, and the manufacturers wouldn't mind the use of a few pictures for the textures on the cones and stuff I think it would be fun to model up subs to complete sketches like I did.

Okay, so I'm finally getting a little something done on this. I'm working on completing the door baffles for the Bravox CS60K components so that I can get them installed then get the amp rack built and installed. Hopefully by then the last 8 will have sold and I'll have the XCON and it's PR's coming and a box getting built.

Here's the first one with the back cut out.

0211021236.jpg

And the second

0211021236a.jpg

Here they are side by side, and no the holes aren't done yet.

0211021236b.jpg

I think I've said it many times before, but I love routers. They're versatile and handy tools without which many things in this hobby would be very difficult to build. If you don't have one, go buy yourself a couple, lol. Here's mine getting ready to clean up those cuts with a 1/2" x 1" flush trim router bit. Made this job EASY. It only took 5 minutes to rough cut the holes with the jig saw, it only took 2 minutes to clean them up.

0212021200.jpg

Here's the finished holes. I've got them hanging there for sealing purposes. I'm applying some polyurethane to help seal the MDF first. Then I'm going to be covering them with bed liner.

0212021203.jpg

0212021210.jpg

0212021210a.jpg

0212021211.jpg

0212021211a.jpg

That's it until I get the bed liner picked up.

I can't wait to see how the PR's sound!! The baffles are looking solid. Keep up with the good work!!:fing34:

Baffles look good so far, tuned in.

Keep trucking along brother :drink40: Looking good :popcorn:

I can't wait to see how the PR's sound!! The baffles are looking solid. Keep up with the good work!!:fing34:

You and me both brother! I've decided to just toss part of the tax refund at them and the XCON to get the ball rolling. Thanks bro...

Baffles look good so far, tuned in.

Thanx man!

Keep trucking along brother :drink40: Looking good :popcorn:

Trying to as best I can, thank you!

My doors are.jelly

Jelly? Really? You got way bigger plans for yours than this, mine are the ones who are jelly, lol.

Got the liner on the baffles. I really like how they turned out so I'm positive at this point that's what I'm going to do to finish the enclosure and the amp rack.

0215021522a.jpg

0215021522.jpg

looking good Alton

looking good Alton

Thank you sir! It will look even better when they're mounted with the Bravox CS60K's installed!!

looking good Alton

Thank you sir! It will look even better when they're mounted with the Bravox CS60K's installed!!

Well what you waiting for, christmas?

I love the finish on the baffles!! :wub: Should be fairly stout against abuse also. Keep up the good work brother.

Well what you waiting for, christmas?

Oh dear god I hope not again....

i like the finish

Thanx bro!!

I love the finish on the baffles!! :wub: Should be fairly stout against abuse also. Keep up the good work brother.

Thanx bro!!

Final product isn't quite as shiny as that, but has the same basic texture. I love the way it looks as well and you're right it should last a hella long time too.

Alrighty, things are kind of moving along. At least now they're close to a snail's pace. I have placed the orders for the two passive radiator's with Nick at Fi and just moments ago placed the order for the XCON itself!!

Can't wait to get all this in and play with it!!

DATS SEXAY!!

:woot:

DATS SEXAY!!

Oh don't you know it!

Yummy. smile.png

Yep, makes ur mouth water don't it?

woot.gif

adhd.gifrockwoot.gifmorepower1.gif

Okay, so got a little work done this weekend. After visiting the ER with a 103.8 degree fever Wednesday it took me a few days to recover, missed three days of work, and between cold chills, sweats, naps, and the always fun intake/exhaust gastrointestinal evacuations that always seem to accompany getting that sick I felt good enough to do a little work on the Jimmy Sunday. The problem with getting that sick is that it takes awhile to get back to 100% capacity so after I got the driver's door done yesterday I just didn't have it in me to dig into the passenger door. However, I think I chronicled the drivers door fairly well. Onto the pictures:

The before shot. The door as it was before I began with the PG RSD components installed. The mid mounted in the flimsy factory plastic baffles and the factory grille removed.

DSCN0108.jpg

The door card removed. I forgot to chronicle the installation of the CCF on the doors, but as you can see here the healthy helping of CCF has things well covered. I didn't put any over the window motor so that it can be changed/removed a bit easier in the future. Also if you notice the wire going to the tweeter I did a quick and dirty install of the PG's and never put any sort of disconnect on the wires which has been a bane of working on this thing without tearing the wires out of the back of the tweeter. That will be addressed and fixed during this stage of installation as well.

DSCN0109.jpg

The PG mid removed, bye bye crappy, flimsy factory plastic. Now you see it.

DSCN0110.jpg

Now you don't

DSCN0111.jpg

Ah, the Bravox CS60K's that will be replacing the PG's. Beautiful set and well built. The tweeter is mounted in the tweeter cup from an Alpine Type R set. Got them from my bro Jared (j-roadtatts) to help the Bravox tweets fit the gaping hole that the PG tweets required even though they're both 1" dome tweets.

DSCN0112.jpg

If you look closely you can see the dab of hot glue I put on the back of the tweeter to help hold the wires. I've had tweeters like this with wires torn out cuz of how they attach and have almost no support. Doing this just helps ensure they don't do that easily.

DSCN0113.jpg

PG tweet out, notice how large that freaking hole is. Just crazy!

DSCN0114.jpg

Bravox tweet is in!

DSCN0115.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

Now, I mentioned earlier I wanted to make it easier to remove the door panels without tearing up tweeter wires. I picked up these simple molex connectors from RadioShack.

DSCN0117.jpg

Got the male connector on. Also, notice the CCF on the door card itself. I placed it over the location where the opening remains at the window motor and mechanism to continue to help block noises and rattles at that location too.

DSCN0118.jpg

The female end of the molex connector installed.

DSCN0120.jpg

Now onto the meat of it. I've applied some CCF speaker gasket tape around the opening of the door for a couple of reasons. One, it's just another way to help decouple the baffle from the door. Two it will help seal it, obviously. Third it gives the baffle a little "wiggle" room by tightening and loosening the bolts around the baffle it allows for just a tad of adjustment.

DSCN0121.jpg

Got the baffle bolted up. Turned the one bolt around so it wouldn't interfere with the window travel.

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0123.jpg

Here's the Bravox mid mounted to the baffle. As always I have speaker gasket tape on it too. Damn does it look good in there!

DSCN0124.jpg

Another quick shot of the door card.

DSCN0125.jpg

The new tweeter connector all connected up.

DSCN0126.jpg

Viola! Completed, er, well for this door anyway.

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

Well, that's that for now. I'm on call at work all this week so I won't be getting much done on the Jimmy with it parked at work. Hopefully the Singer 250A will be in before the end of the week and I can get it and the rest of the goodies that came in last week while I was sick installed while I'm on vacation next week! WOOHOO for kids spring break!!

New XS Power XP950 battery for the rear of the Jimmy and a 34/78 Intimidator for under the hood.

DSCN0130.jpg

DSCN0131.jpg

K&N Cold Air Intake for the Jimmy, :D

DSCN0132.jpg

The "Piece de resistance" PCMforless performance tuned PCM :P

DSCN0133.jpg

Thanx for lookin' guys!

Nice update.

Nice update.

I agree!

I use the same batteries just with a carquest sticker on.

Nice update.

Thank you sir!!

Nice update.

I agree!

I use the same batteries just with a carquest sticker on.

Thanx! I've not found anywhere around here that sells the rebadged Deka's. No Carquest stores nearby either. No biggie tho, ya gotta pay to play.

AWESOME work as always!!! Those doors came out lookin' SUPER CLEEEEAN!

AWESOME work as always!!! Those doors came out lookin' SUPER CLEEEEAN!

Agreed. Did you make the speaker mounting pieces out of abs plastic, or bought somewhere? Looks like a really good idea.

I absolutely love the look of the 10" xcons, with such a huge motor. Makes me want to sell the 18" and get a 10", which makes no sense. :P