altoncustomtech

SLOW build on a 2001 GMC Jimmy

AWESOME work as always!!! Those doors came out lookin' SUPER CLEEEEAN!

Thanx Bro!!

Agreed. Did you make the speaker mounting pieces out of abs plastic, or bought somewhere? Looks like a really good idea.

I absolutely love the look of the 10" xcons, with such a huge motor. Makes me want to sell the 18" and get a 10", which makes no sense. tongue.png

Nope, they're made out of MDF and finished in bed liner. The build process on them is earlier in the log.

I agree, they look meaner than sin. Can't wait to get the box built and see the look on peoples faces when they see it's sweet ass through the plexi. Then the confusion that follows when they don't see anything on the PR's that will look exactly the same from the outside, trying to figure out what the hells goin on in there, LOL.

Thanx Bro!!

Agreed. Did you make the speaker mounting pieces out of abs plastic, or bought somewhere? Looks like a really good idea.

I absolutely love the look of the 10" xcons, with such a huge motor. Makes me want to sell the 18" and get a 10", which makes no sense. tongue.png

Nope, they're made out of MDF and finished in bed liner. The build process on them is earlier in the log.

I agree, they look meaner than sin. Can't wait to get the box built and see the look on peoples faces when they see it's sweet ass through the plexi. Then the confusion that follows when they don't see anything on the PR's that will look exactly the same from the outside, trying to figure out what the hells goin on in there, LOL.

Oh I missed that, well they came out superb, why didn't I think of that when I did mine. -_-

Always fun to have something out of the ordinary to confuse people.

Some more updates. I got the CAI and PCMforless tuned PCM installed today, I'll have pictures of that up tomorrow. The 250A Singer alternator came today and looks fantastic, except for one thing. The charging stud on the rear of the alt is a bit hinky. It looks like a 1/2" brass threaded rod was drilled and center tapped and threaded into/onto the regular stud to make a larger base to attach to. While that's not necessarily a bad idea it wasn't machined particularly well and due to it's size it doesn't leave anything for the ring terminal to tighten against. I put a second nut on it so that there's something to tighten to, but it still didn't seem to be the best thought out process. I've got a few quick pictures before I left work today, the UPS driver showed up late so I didn't get to do much else with it. I'll be installing it, the Intimidator battery and BIG 3 tomorrow. Onto the pics:

Pulling it out of the box.

DSCN0134.jpg

Isn't that pulley cover beautiful? Very nice looking alternator overall.

DSCN0135.jpg

You can kind of see the nut at back side there, wish I would have thought to get a better picture. I will for sure tomorrow.

DSCN0136.jpg

Looks great man!

Lots of progress & updates FTW!!

Looks great man!

Thanx, can't wait to get things done!

Lots of progress & updates FTW!!

Thank you sir, I'm glad to finally be posting a fairly steady set of updates on this thing.

Speaking of updates, here's the pictures from this weekends drive to get things done. I got the PCMforless performance tuned PCM installed this weekend along with the K&N cold air intake and the new Singer 250A alternator along with the Intimidator battery and BIG 3. Things went pretty smooth throughout the installation and the only hiccup I had was that I forgot about a slightly longer belt for the engine with the new alt installed. Quick trip to O'Reilly's yesterday nabbed me a 1 inch longer belt that fits perfectly to finish it and the BIG 3 up today. Onto the pictures.

Here's the stuff, Knu Kolossus 1/0 cable, battery terminals and ring terminals, Singer alt and The Intimidator.

DSCN0137.jpg

Love Knu's stuff.

DSCN0138.jpg

The alt is nifty as hell. As you can see in these pics, how the charging stud is done is a little odd to me but it should work just fine. Besides, I'll only be running an SAZ-1500, nothing real crazy.

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0141.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

This is how I saw it out of the box.

DSCN0144.jpg

Not drilled and tapped in the center.

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

Working on getting the new battery in I found a little issue as you can see below.

DSCN0148.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

I had to make a quick modification to the battery tray. Luckily removing it was a snap and a quick run at the 10" wheeled bench grinder and it fits great.

DSCN0150.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

More pics of the alternator and BIG 3 installation.

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

Well, hopefully in the next day or two I'll have the passenger side door baffle and the second half of the Bravox CS60K components installed and the pics of that up. Also, with the week off on vacation I plan on working on the amp rack and sub enclosure in between playing with the kids while they're on spring break. I bought the kids a pair of little four wheelers of their own yesterday so we'll be pretty busy playin' it up this week!!!

Thanx for looking at the build.

More updates!

Got the passenger door done yesterday. I have to say the Bravox components are well worth the money I paid. They're super smooth sounding with no harshness and they're very accurate as well. I really really can't wait to get the 125.2 on them and see how they really sound. The HU's small power so limits how good a set of speakers can sound, reaching distortion at listening levels that border on the quiet at times with bass, midbass and often midrange as well. Which is one of the many reasons that everyone should put at least a small amp on their highs. Well, enough of that, onto the pictures. Aside from the fact it's the passenger door instead of the drivers door, everything went pretty much exactly the same so I focused more on what it looks like finished than on the entire installation process like I did with the drivers door.

Got the door panel off.

DSCN0159.jpg

Tweeter connector on.

DSCN0160.jpg

Bravox tweeter in with new connector on.

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

Same as the drivers door, got the gasket foam on under the baffle to help seal, decouple, and allow for some minute adjustments.

DSCN0163.jpg

Voila, all done and both doors don't look too shabby.

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

Alt looks nice, little goofy on the output stud. Your doors look quiet. :P

Yeah, it looks a little funny but it worked out great. I put the factory charging wire under the brass stud, then put a second nut on the brass stud and put the 1/0 on that.

Thanx on the doors, they are very quiet but are missing MLV and another layer of CCF. I plan on getting that stuff ordered from SDS very soon.

sweet progress bro

Thanx man, it does feel good to finally get somewhere with it. Even if it's not BIG progress, at least it is moving forward.

Love the progress and pics! Keep em coming and don't get sick again :P

Love the progress and pics! Keep em coming and don't get sick again tongue.png

Thanx man, I'm working toward it, slow but sure. I never PLAN to get that sick again in my life, LOL.

Nice planning and great execution so far. I like your simple and creative solution for the doors. Your sub setup sounds interesting as well.

lookin' good!!!

really nice build

Doors look very nice! Keep up the good work.

Alright, not much going on here. Having to completely rethink the amp rack, looks like I'll have to build two, one on each side of the rear.

Good news tho, got the PR's yesterday!!! I want to give a BIG thank you to Aaron and Mark for allowing me to have PR's made with the XCON dustcaps and logos on them, a BIG BIG Thank You to you both. With the PR's in hand I can start on the enclosure building and now for a few quick pics of the PR's.

DSCN0197.jpg

DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

This is going to be a very nice build, people will think you have 3 complete woofers in that box when done. Call me a dummy but arent passive radiators for a sealed box when you wanna control the tunning.

One of my favorite installs I have heard was with PR's.

Do you know how to tune these?

This is going to be a very nice build, people will think you have 3 complete woofers in that box when done. Call me a dummy but arent passive radiators for a sealed box when you wanna control the tunning.

Well, kinda. The PR does the job of a port, but without the problems of port velocity and added enclosure volume. They're also much easier than a port to tune and re-tune. The biggest downside I'm aware of is increased roll-off below tuning frequency. So, it's kind of like tuning a sealed enclosure due to the absence of a port of any kind, but not really as the PR's are equivalent to a port.

One of my favorite installs I have heard was with PR's.

Do you know how to tune these?

Same here, it was a single early 90's Orion 12 with an 18" PR. Probably only one of my favorites only due to how different it was as I was too young then to really understand it, how it worked and why it was being done that way.

I do know how to tune them, in theory, as they are my first real world use of PR's. It will be easy enough in practice though, using the weight of the air in the equivalent size port area in reference to the cone area of the PR's to rough them in. Then adjust in small amounts for perfecting the tuning frequency. At least that's my understanding of the process.

Awesome, cant wait to read your review!

:)

Awesome so far! I'm very interested in what you think of the end result.