altoncustomtech

SLOW build on a 2001 GMC Jimmy

Very interested :) Never seen much of PR builds.

Waiting on the box, now !

Never heared any install with PR. I'd like to see how it looks.

Keep dem pics coming plzzzz !

X's 2!!!!!!

Awesome, cant wait to read your review!

And I can't wait to listen to it to get it reviewed, lol!

smile.png

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome so far! I'm very interested in what you think of the end result.

Thank you!

Good to see you are making some progress bro

Thanx man! BTW, need to get info from you on the IAK T's.....

Very interested smile.png Never seen much of PR builds.

They're alot like ported, shouldn't be much of a difference. Can't wait myself to see how the XCON performs!

Waiting on the box, now !

Never heared any install with PR. I'd like to see how it looks.

Keep dem pics coming plzzzz !

Will be starting on the box ASAP, or as soon as work quits kickin my ass. And don't worry, I always post the pics as I take them.

Bring this to slam!

X's 2!!!!!!

If work doesn't have me tied up AGAIN this year you can count on it!

Thanks for the swift response and payment bro. We will get them shipped out asap.

Thinking Friday pickup and Saturday ship if the folks get on a ball sending in thier funds in.

Woo Ha... I guess the auto reminder isn't emailing me updates.

Everything is loOking steller Alton!! I love how clean the doors came out!! That Alternator is bitchin'!! Always fun making batteries fit. lol

I can't wait to see the amp racks and enclousure, heck I hope to see them in person!!! biggrin.png

Thanks for the swift response and payment bro. We will get them shipped out asap.

Thinking Friday pickup and Saturday ship if the folks get on a ball sending in thier funds in.

You're welcome man, and that sounds awesome!

Woo Ha... I guess the auto reminder isn't emailing me updates.

Everything is loOking steller Alton!! I love how clean the doors came out!! That Alternator is bitchin'!! Always fun making batteries fit. lol

I can't wait to see the amp racks and enclousure, heck I hope to see them in person!!! biggrin.png

Thanks Brother!! I really appreciate the help with those tweeter cups, that made it so much easier than the route I was gonna go with my router. The amp rack(s) and enclosure are gonna be a bit more plain than originally planned. Due to space issues causing problems with fitment I'll be doing something much simpler for the amp rack(s). I also decided not to go with plexi on the enclosure. It just started to seem a little too corny to do again after building the box for the van with it's window. I'm simply planning on a bedliner lined box with something of the SSA logo on it. As far as you seeing them in person, is that a hint to a future trip sometime?? If so let me know ahead of time and I'll be sure to have the fridge stocked!!

Yeah he is doing some awesome work

Thank You Brother!!

This build log is pretty exciting. Can't wait to see how the low end works out.

Thanks Aaron!! and... Thank You again for the permission to have the PR's built to match the sub!!! It should look pretty damn good when complete!

Well, it's a kind of progress. I've been working for awhile now to figure out how the hell to fit everything in the back of the truck. What I had originally imagined/planned for the amp rack had to be scrapped once I started getting some measurements and things going. Not enough room to do the neat angles and "floating" look I had imagined in the first place. So then I looked into mounting them angled and such with one on each side and about every configuration I could come up with and none were quite right. So finally I tried this last design out, along with a lot of cardboard templates and it looks like this will work out very well. The XS Power XP950 battery will be located inside/under the amp rack and the SAZ-1500D will simply be mounted flat on the rack with the SAX-125.2 mounted above it using threaded aluminum spacers. It's not a jaw dropper like I was trying to go for in the first place, but it will look good enough and function well which is most important.

On to the Sketchup drawings.

Here's basically what it will look like when I open the back of the truck.

JimmyAmp-BatteryRack1.jpg

Angle more from the front. You can see the angle for the back of the seats.

JimmyAmp-BatteryRack2.jpg

Here you can see the basic location for the XP950 and where the wheel well will be covered and hidden by the rack. The back cover will be removable for access to the battery. The rack will be bolted down to the back of the truck with three 5/16" bolts. I will also be able to access the wingnuts that will hold the amp rack to the bolts for quick removal when needed.

JimmyAmp-BatteryRack3.jpg

JimmyAmp-BatteryRack4.jpg

Looks good, how much gap between amps to you plan to have?

Looks good, how much gap between amps to you plan to have?

Thank you sir. There will be around 1/4" of space between them. I figure that should be plenty, especially since the amp that will be running the hottest is on top.

Small updates. FINALLY started to run wires for this thing and not easily in this tight spaced and cramped little truck. It's so difficult to get to certain things that I'm driving it around with the passenger side compartment/armrest removed and both back seats unbolted until everything is ran. I don't want to have to remove/install that stuff over and over. So far not much is ran due to the fact it's taken more time to figure out exactly where and how it's going to run than actually doing it. Drivers side speaker wire is the only one that's completely done. The RCA's, remote wire and passenger side speaker wires are starting to get in tho. I got the holes for the power wire entry into the cabin drilled yesterday and the fuse holders mounted as well. I got a couple of pics of the RCA's and passenger speaker wires getting bundled to be ran and the fuse holders to post up. Some progress is better than no progress and the more of some progress I can make the sooner it will be done!!

Here's the passenger side of the truck as I mentioned before. Using the zip ties in this manner helps to keep things bundled and spaced. A cheap easy solution.

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

I found an old license plate from my DRZ and bent it for this job. If I were doing this install for someone else I would have found a better looking solution. Personally I don't really care as long as it doesn't look like complete crap and functions well.

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

That's it for now, hopefully things continue to work out as they have and I'll get a little done each day after work for awhile. Once the wires are ran I can begin on the amp rack, which should go fairly quickly.

Love it bro....keep up the progress...always cool to see what you have going in your builds!

Love it bro....keep up the progress...always cool to see what you have going in your builds!

Thanx brother! I'm glad the ball is rolling on this thing again. I'm really looking forward to showing it off at some of the later shows this year. I think anyone that listens to it is going to completely flip when they find it's only a single 10.

On that note, wire runs are completed and it's time to start building the amp rack.

Here's the power wires coming out of their respective holes and grommets. The angle on that part of the sheet metal will make it much easier to get the wires and carpet to lay down as they should.

DSCN0283.jpg

Here's the wires coming up to the fuse holders. Yes, there's a bit of excess there, but that's only so I have the give/play for inserting the fuse. Both wires go down in between the fender well and AC lines and follow the frame back to the point where they come up through the sheet metal. These trucks really make that part much easier than I would have imagined.

DSCN0285.jpg

DSCN0284.jpg

Here's the wires all tucked away under the carpet there. Worked out pretty good.

DSCN0287.jpg

Here's the wire bundle making it's way to the back. I went right up on the wall/rear fender well of the truck so it will all hide nicely under that part of the interior.

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0289.jpg

Finally, I chose this mounting location for the remote gain knob for two reasons. One, it keeps it hidden so that strange fingers aren't tempted to play with it. Two, that little LED is brighter than hell and I couldn't find a good location anywhere else that it wouldn't be shining right up at me. It should work out pretty good there tho.

DSCN0282.jpg

AND MY PARTNER IN CRIME!!! My son Austin, who some may remember, recognize from the pictures of the build of the enclosure for the van. He's got a great deal of interest in all this stuff and the older he gets, the more he's interested and understanding everything I explain to him as we're doing this. I had him taking the dash apart to get to the wires on the HU to run the RCA's and remote power wire, had him helping me with the remote gain knob, and he helped run the power wires up to the engine compartment. He's a hell of helper to have!

DSCN0286.jpg

Awesome progress bro! Looks really clean & great attention to detail. I would love to hear that thing & finally have a chance to meet you, along with your family :-)

Hope you can make it up one weekend for a local show or even finals in Oct.

Looking good!

Although, I never run RCAs on the same side as power/ground cables. Love the use of the grouments.

Awesome progress bro! Looks really clean & great attention to detail. I would love to hear that thing & finally have a chance to meet you, along with your family :-)

Hope you can make it up one weekend for a local show or even finals in Oct.

Thanks man! AND You aren't kiddin', would love to see your rides and meet you and your family as well. I'm hoping to make it sometime soon. I know for a fact I'll be in Indy on Oct. 5th, maybe some sort of plans can be made for that trip?

Looking good!

Although, I never run RCAs on the same side as power/ground cables. Love the use of the grouments.

Thanx! I wouldn't have if I really had much of a choice and weren't being lazy. However, keeping them evenly spaced away from each other like I have them should pose no issues.

Also, forgot one picture of the wire runs. Here's the last of the run as it comes out from the installed interior panel.

DSCN0293.jpg

Also, finally got my banner on the truck as well. Woohoo, SSA!!!!

DSCN0292.jpg

DSCN0291.jpg

I like your homemade fuse holder bracket :)

:)

Okay, so I FINALLY got started on the amp rack this week while taking a little vacation time (when the wife isn't screwing it up that is). I'm down now to getting all the holes for the wires to pass through to the amps drilled, then I can do the final assembly and get the bedliner applied. After that it's as easy as installation, lol.

Here I've got the bottom and side cut out and getting them assembled. Total length for the rack is just shy of 30" and it's 8.75" tall.

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0337.jpg

Here's the picture of the mounting. I drilled 3 carriage bolts through from the bottom and put nuts and washers on them to compress the carpet. Then used a washer and a wing nut to secure the rack to the floor.

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

Here I've cut out a template for the top of the amp rack to follow the side of the interior.

DSCN0338.jpg

Here's the amp rack sitting in place with the cut out for the XSPower XP950 battery for the rear.

DSCN0341.jpg

Finally here's the top and access door cut out and the amp rack mocked together to ensure everything fits snug together and looks like I had planned. Came out fairly close so far.

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

Hopefully I'll get it done and installed before the end of the weekend so I can see what these Bravox components can do with some real power applied.

Looks very good! I like that you are taking the time to fit it around the wheel wells.