altoncustomtech

SLOW build on a 2001 GMC Jimmy

Another teeny tiny update.  I got the Clarion CZ702 installed in the truck over the weekend and spent awhile tweaking and tuning it.  I have to say first off, I'll never buy another unit again and/or build an installation for myself that doesn't have a complete and comprehensive set of controls such as is found in the Clarion.  Be it a HU like the Clarion or a seperate DSP like the miniDSP, MS-8, or whatever all else is out there, it's going to have processing power.  With the simple controls of the Kenwood I was able to get quite satisfactory results.  I did have a little issue in the 3khz region in which it would almost sound as though the music would screech at high output around that frequency.  I'm sure it's a limitation in the speaker and passive crossover design along with installation effects, but it was really only noticeable on certain songs.  I had very adequate midbass response and was generally able to get it plenty loud enough for my tastes with very little or no distortion at all with the capability of feeling the midbass in my chest and body on a few songs.  I am proud to say, with all the tweaking and tuning I've done so far with the Clarion that I was able to get even better midbass response with less distortion and I've gotten rid of that annoying anomaly in the 3khz region.  I can feel the midbass in almost every song I listen to now, not to mention the sound stage is twice as wide and up on top of the dash like it should be after making the time alignment adjustments. Having AT LEAST this kind of processing power should be an absolute requirement for every HU from every manufacturer, lol.  I also love the fact that every adjustment happens on the fly.  With the Kenwood's I have, if you make a crossover adjustment or change the frequency or Q on the PEQ, or even changing the distance of the DTA (on my KDC-X99 in the van) the sound cuts out for a split second.  I assume it does that so the software in the HU can make the adjustment to the signal.  On the Clarion it's instant, no pause or cut in the sound at all.  I love that because I can hear the slight differences the adjustment makes and hear it really well by switching back and forth a few times to tell if I'm on the right track or not.  All in all the HU really kicks ass and I'm likely to get another couple of them just to have on hand!  I'm looking forward to trying an active setup with it sometime.  The ONLY issue I have found with the unit was one that was mentioned on a few reviews I found on it is that when there's no music playing through the unit there's just a TINY bit of background static type noise.  It just is noticeable when there's no music playing and not noticeable at all when it is.  If you turn the volume all the way to 0 it goes away, but it doesn't get any louder at all when turned all the way up to 40.  It's kind of odd and I think it's a side affect of the DSP and it's software that's built into the unit.  I can definitely say if you've looked at the unit with interest but wasn't sure, don't be afraid it has VERY solid features and all the adjustability and how easy it is to adjust is simply amazing to me.  On a side note the Bluetooth works great and the dual control for the iPod/iPhone is a kick ass bonus as well.  I haven't had a chance to play with the Pandora app much yet but so far it's equally easy and great to use.

Here's a before picture of the Kenwood KDC-X492 coming out:

84750500-0AED-42B2-B98F-CD75BBAD632F-118

Here's an after pic of the Clarion CZ702 installed and on:

2A39B2B2-6D39-4391-AFBD-E18CFA3BF77D-172

Sweet! Good to hear you're so happy with it :) Always good to see positive updates from you on the build ;)

I might buy one of those Clarions just to mess around with. It is crazy how many features it has at its price point. Thanks for the review!

Alton, would this be a good purchase to a noob?

As applicable to a comp vehicle or daily ground pounder as much as to the level of sq or audiophile your standards rain within?

I would like features they may "encourage" these concepts/ principals, not sure if they would be as "easy" for me to utilize.

Sweet! Good to hear you're so happy with it smile.png Always good to see positive updates from you on the build wink.png

Thanks brother!  It's nice to be able post an update!!  LOL

I might buy one of those Clarions just to mess around with. It is crazy how many features it has at its price point. Thanks for the review!

You're welcome dude.  At it's price point it's worth getting to play around with IMO.  I never thought it would make the difference it has so far in my Jimmy.  I had hoped it could help the 3k problem and figured it would help some with staging and imaging, but with the crossover adjustability and the EQ settings I was able to dial the bass/midbass response in so well that it is giving me more and cleaner midbass output even with negative gains on the low frequency EQ points I set.  I was listening to "Cake - Going the Distance" and "Audioslave - Show Me How to Live" on the way to work this morning and could feel every drum beat and bass guitar riff (right word?) and cleaner than with the Kenwood at that.  Not sure how that really works with just a HU change, but I'm not complaining, lol.

Alton, would this be a good purchase to a noob?

As applicable to a comp vehicle or daily ground pounder as much as to the level of sq or audiophile your standards rain within?

I would like features they may "encourage" these concepts/ principals, not sure if they would be as "easy" for me to utilize.

Chop, I think you could definitely make good use of a unit like this.  The EQ adjustments alone could be utilized to a persons gains in SPL use as well as SQ.  The good part about that is it has three memory slots you can get things set for, then recall them.  For competing it would be useful to find the EQ, crossover and DTA settings that allowed for the best SPL numbers and save them in one slot, then the best settings for daily listening and just recall whichever settings you need for whatever the situation calls for all in about 3 or 4 button presses.  The settings really are pretty easy to navigate through and after about 10 or 15 minutes of playing with it you'd have it down.  Before I installed it in the Jimmy I had a total of about 20 minutes playing with the settings on the unit weeks ago when I posted the thread about getting it and haven't touched it until I went to install it this weekend.  I had forgot the book at work and was still able to run through all the settings and do all that without it, and my memory is HORRIBLE.  Regardless, I don't see you having any problems figuring out how to play with it and I can see it being fairly useful for both competing and daily ground pounding.

Thanks brother, I will look into it.

I guess I could bring the whole dam car to you if I have any questions, right!?

Lmao

LOL, absolutely!!!!!  We'll call it a cruise and tune!

Well, another quick update I just gotta share.  

I got a chance to play with the tuning on the unit some more today.  I went in and played with the EQ for a bit, fine tuning it to trying to get things perfect.  The only issue I had on some songs was that they sounded a little flat in the upper midrange, lower treble areas.  I could get it close but never quite got rid of it  without bringing that bad harshness back so I had an idea to play with the phasing on the components again like I did with the Kenwood.  Having the time alignment on the Clarion seemed to change the interaction between the speakers.  If I turned off the time alignment it went back to sounding like it did with the Kenwood, light and airy but low on height and narrower.  So I decided to start from scratch and went and put all the speakers back in phase with each other and voila, perfect.  The flat sound was gone and the light airy sound was back but with the stage and image back up on top of the dash and nice and wide open when I put the time alignment back where I had it.  From there I made some more adjustments to the Q of a couple of bands and played with the gains/cuts for a bit until things were just right and the original harshness I had experienced was gone.  I never imagined I could get these results with such a modest lineup of equipment and little money spent.  The components are doing such a good job with the midbass it's just completely thrilling to play the songs that really lend themselves to it.  Everything else is just as improved though and while listening to "Alabama Shakes - Hold On", "The Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling", "Rhianna - Stay", and "Billy Joel - Piano Man" I got the attention of some teenagers out playing some basketball next to my buddies house.  They were amazed that all I had playing was the components and that it sounded so good and clear.  I really got them smiling when I had them take turns sitting in the drivers seat while we played a host of other songs including several tracks on a couple of Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD's.  They left seemingly impressed and talking about what they were gonna do to their own cars.  One in particular is gonna come by this weekend to have me look at what he's got and give some recommendations.  :D

Thanks bro, I'm loving it.

WooHoo, I actually have a REAL update to post!!  The box building is ON!  Still have a LONG way to go before it's finished, but at least I can actually say it's coming together and mean it!

Setting up the corner clamps, and getting ready to glue the first side panel on.

DB6CAAFA-0192-49D9-B936-6B2D6B9FA059-344

Glued and clamped.

DAFD397A-E854-4FF5-B177-F7AE641AD008-344

One extra clamp (cheap POS, broke the first one, lol) and nailed.

D3C779F9-1379-4A60-8B70-ECAF73B42303-344

Second side going on and getting glued and clamped.

06EBED28-E6B4-4547-92EF-39D6DE62FC47-344

Second side nailed. :D

E14E4ED2-2D79-46C7-9097-DC20B8B39538-344

Getting the front glued, clamped and nailed as well.

3492A804-FEF8-40CB-9DEB-03E54D502311-344

If everything goes according to plan the other side of the front will get attached tomorrow and I'll start getting the top and bottom attached.  Hopefully if everything goes according to the current plan by the time the weekend comes around I'll be working on centering up and getting all the alignments done for the double baffles, flush mounts, etc.  Damn thing is finally starting to move along, a light is starting to make a faint glow at the end of the tunnel.

Too awesome to tune in and see you gave started the show, always like to see your craftsmanship.

Too awesome to tune in and see you gave started the show, always like to see your craftsmanship.

IMAG0780_zpsfc2a2da6.jpg

We are on the road to success now!

LOL, thanks Chop!  I appreciate the kind words toward my craftsmanship, I think I do okay but nowhere near the level I'd love to be at.  Some of the builds on here are light years ahead of mine in quality, I just hope to do good enough that it doesn't look completely messed up.

Hell yeah bro! Love seeing everyone making progress regardless to how big or small :)

I know right!!  I may even be able to finally attend SLAMOLOGY!  Well, maybe, small steps, lol.  Gotta get this thing done first.

Thanks bro!

I know right!! I may even be able to finally attend SLAMOLOGY! Well, maybe, small steps, lol. Gotta get this thing done first.

Thanks bro!

SLAM FTW!!!!!

Looking good!

Those look like the same Bessey corner clamps that I have.

When bar clamping on a raw edge I prefer to not clamp directly on the edge. MDF doesnt have a lot of strength in that area. Instead I have some small blocks I cut up from scrap to put on the edge and clamp to that. It helps to distribute the force a little better and not blow out the side. Of course I do tighten the crap out of them too.

Also when I design my build I try to lay the panel edge to the outside and intentionally overcut about a 1/16" or so. Then use a flush trim bit to uh make it flush lol.

Just a couple small suggestions, take it fwiw.

Looking good!

Those look like the same Bessey corner clamps that I have.

When bar clamping on a raw edge I prefer to not clamp directly on the edge. MDF doesnt have a lot of strength in that area. Instead I have some small blocks I cut up from scrap to put on the edge and clamp to that. It helps to distribute the force a little better and not blow out the side. Of course I do tighten the crap out of them too.

Also when I design my build I try to lay the panel edge to the outside and intentionally overcut about a 1/16" or so. Then use a flush trim bit to uh make it flush lol.

Just a couple small suggestions, take it fwiw.

I'm sure they're the same clamps, mine are Bessey as well.  Handy little bastards, lol.

I've not had a problem blowing out an edge when clamping with those clamps.  They will only get so tight anyway.  I usually stop tightening when I see the bar bending, lol.  If I ever had that trouble I'd definitely be using some scrap pieces or something to distribute the force and I've done so on thinner MDF and plywood to make it easier to clamp.

Using a flush trim bit for that purpose is a great idea, that's how I flushed the holes out on the baffles for my doors.  I'll be sanding down any high spots and using body filler and block sanding for a perfectly smooth finish anyway, so it should turn out alright, but that flush bit would definitely make for a quick way to smooth the edge up fast if one planned ahead like that.  I'll definitely be keeping that in mind, thanks.

I got bad news.

Gonna have to start the enclosure over from scratch.  The pump for the parts cleaner in the garage got left on and it made a mist that hung in the building.  That misted parts cleaner turned the surface of the face of the MDF to mush and every panel was ruined.

The only positive side to this is that I can finally try using Birch plywood to build an enclosure.  Anybody have any experience with the Tonmik 3/4" Hardwood Birch plywood at Lowes?  Should I look at a different a different ply such as the hard Maple or Oak?  Some quick help on this would be greatly beneficial as I'm gonna be picking this up this weekend for certain.

Bummer :( I wish I could offer some input but no experience with any of those.

Thanx man.  It does suck, but at least I didn't have it almost completely done or anything, luckily.  If I had it almost done and that happened I'd have probably completely flipped out, and quite honestly the MDF was a bit old and ever so slightly swelled from humidity from where it's been stored for the last two years, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.  I had questioned the worthiness of the MDF in the first place when I started cutting it, now I won't have to worry about its integrity, lol.

well that almost makes me want to seal my boxes when i take them out, i still  have a ton of stain and sealer from working on new cabinets