WV Jeepster

2 SA-8's and an Audiopipe AP-1000D

Would two D2 SA-8's do ok on an Audiopipe AP1000D running at 2ohms? That would be 700watts rms. Also, how would the sound compare to a single 10 or 12 in an SQ type setup?

The subs will perform fine on that power. Just because you see people putting 700-1k to each one doesn't mean that's what needs to be done to get them to perform. With the lower than rated power you can get by with a larger, more efficient ported enclosure to help with the output. How they sound will be a direct result of the enclosure, it's tuning and the environment (vehicle) they play in. I've not gotten to hear what mine sound like yet, but everyone I've talked to who's using them says they sound pretty good.

I have decided to go with a similar, well, the same setup really. I want to do two SA-8's in a ported box with a aeroport to keep it simple. My question is, using an Audiopipe AP1000D at 2 ohms will put out around 700w RMS. Tuned to 30Hz, what size box should I be looking at?

One other question...is there an better amp option for around the same money? I can get the Audiopipe for around $160 shipped. Budget is a big concern. Thanks for all the help and sorry about hijacking.

might aswell run one at 1ohm if the right coil configuration is available for the sa-8

as far as box just go with the largest recommended specs from sundown

Would two D2 SA-8's do ok on an Audiopipe AP1000D running at 2ohms? That would be 700watts rms. Also, how would the sound compare to a single 10 or 12 in an SQ type setup?

you not going for anything close for to an sq set up. but i think your asking if you will get accurate sounding bass from 2 sa-8s on 1000watts in a ported box. assume u build the box right and install it well it will sound very good for you.

if i were you i would wire the subs at 1ohm unless you plan to add 2 more subs later? if you already looking to add more subs later just get 2 sa-12 now and save some money

Can't be sq with audiopipe! just saying! Put a Sundown 1000d on the pair of SA-8's Don't do them SA's like that!

Edited by Eagle

I personally can't afford a Sundown amp at this time. That is why I was thinking Audiopipe. I want more SQ then SPL but I am not looking for hardcore SQ.

You won't notice a difference between the audiopipe and the sundown, trust me. And for 160, you could get the audiopipe ap15001d for more headroom. :)

i Agree with the 1500d headroom option way better :)

Ok...so with the 15001D, would I run it at 4 ohms 600w RMS, 2 ohm 950w RMS, or 1 ohm 1500w RMS? And the box should only be the max size listed which is 0.6cf each? So a box for two would have 1.4cf to allow for displacement? And this would be an ok setup for a daily driver with no comp. aspirations?

I am sorry for such newb questions...I have been out of the game so long that it really is still mind boggling that so many subs and amps are running on this much power. 12-15 years ago it seems that only the most expensive amps could push that kinda power. I'm still getting used to it...lol

Thanks though for all the help so far...I do appreciate it.

I also wanted to add that I am trying to do a system that won't require me to upgrade my electrical other than the Big 3. I have a 136 amp alternator on my Jeep stock so hopefully that will provide enough juice to keep things running.

Edited by Nubster

Id run it at 1 ohm and be very conservative on the gains. For the box, .6-.8 per sa-8. Make sure you set your ssf right and bass boost on 0.

Do you think that running 1500w RMS will be ok with stock electrical? I will also in time be adding a second amp for front stage that I anticipate will be in the 100-200w RMS range. Someone asked before about adding more subs and no...I won't be adding more then the two. I just want to make sure I don't get too much amp but of course I don't want too little either.

it really depends on how you listen to your system and the music. my girlfriend destroyed her stock alt by listening to constant bass at high volumes in traffic jams (idle). I say get a deka 9a31 to be safe at most. I can get them rebadged for 100+shipping if you're interested.

I generally listen at a comfortable listening volume but of course there are those occasions when you need to show off a little. I don't listen to a lot of really bass heavy stuff but I do like my industrial metal from time to time.

Seriously.. You will be fine with your electrical.. Big 3, upgrade your stock battery to a deka G34.. Wire correctly!!

I would do 1 run Positive and 1 run Neg to the back dedicated.

On that AP1500.1 You will be fine at 1 ohm. Just make sure you have the enclosure designed correctly and you will more then happy with the outcome.

Seriously.. You will be fine with your electrical.. Big 3, upgrade your stock battery to a deka G34.. Wire correctly!!

I would do 1 run Positive and 1 run Neg to the back dedicated.

On that AP1500.1 You will be fine at 1 ohm. Just make sure you have the enclosure designed correctly and you will more then happy with the outcome.

Thanks. That's where I am at now...trying to design the box. Not having much luck. I know it shouldn't be hard but I just want to make sure I do it right. The plan is to have the subs firing up and the port to the rear. Box according to Sundown should be .6cf per sub plus .10 for displacement so I was planing on a single box of 1.4cf. Just not sure about the port. The box will just be a simple rectangle box and the port I planned on using an Aeroport to keep it easy.

Can anyone help with port size and placement in the box. I used a port calculator and for 32Hz tuning it says I need a 3" port 11" long. Just want to make sure that seems right. Also, if I did want to do a slot port, how do I go about figuring the dimensions for that? Sorry...I've built lots of sealed boxes...never a ported box.

There are allot of better box designers/builders on this site then I.

I will state my experience with the sa-8's.

The box I built to house 4 sa8' was too big in my opinion for my goals, 3.2 c.f. net. (.8 per sub)

I like tight sound and somewhat flatter response and let cabin gain do the rest.

The above box was tuned to 32 hz. with a 4-1/2" x 11-3/4" port.

I seemed to get no output from them until ~ 45hz.- port tuning.

This was very loud around tuning, but didn't sound right at all, way to peaky for me.

I wound up pulling the box out after 3 or 4 days.

I had a .75 c.f. box tuned to 32hz. as well, so I inverted the sa8's (2 of them) and found the response to be flatter.

I now had some output at 60hz.. The output was on a gradual rise til tuning, not a spike/peak at tuning.

This was much more to my liking, but with much less output across the pass band.

The sa-8's were much more musical in a small box to me.

You stated you wanted more SQ than SPL.

I don't think I'd go larger then .4-.6 c.f. per woofer unless you've got some great mid bass already.

I'd ask the box size question again with a particular freq. range and type of response curve you're looking to achieve, flatter or peaky, if I were you.

Good luck.

right now in my s10 pick up truck, i run 2 sa8's on 1000 watts, each seeing .7 cubes, and i have a single 4" external aero port tuned to 38 hz, i tried lower tuning, but wasnt loud at all, and tuning at 38 hz, actually played lower, louder. this is just from my experience.