Sign in to follow this  
strong*I*bumpin

Lets Represent

An infrasonic filter (subsonic) is basically a high-pass filter that will block frequencies below a certain point much like any normal high-pass filter. The idea is to block frequencies below tuning to avoid unloading the driver.

The Infrasonic (subsonic) filter IS a high pass filter.

Okay here is an example. You take your multi-channel amp and turn the high pass filter on. Let's say this filter is set at 80Hz. Now everything from there up will be heard through the drivers, but nothing below 80. The infrasonic is the same thing. It will block frequencies below a set point to avoid dmamging the driver. When you play a driver in a vented enclosure you run the risk of losing cone control if playing frequencies below the tuning. Now I have never had this problem with any driver just playing normal music. But that does not mean you will not. Test tones are a different story. I myself like to tune my enclosures as low as possible, so this is never really a problem for me, but a lot of the common pre-fab boxes are tuned rather high (35-40Hz), and you can damage the driver playing them below tuning.

So, if you have a Magnum D2 in a 4 cube enclosure tuned to 30Hz, you would set your infrasonic around that point to avoid playing anything below 30.

This is not something that is a necessity for all applications, but rather a precautionary measure.

Now about that flux capacitor.................... :blink:

The Infrasonic (subsonic) filter IS a high pass filter.

Okay here is an example. You take your multi-channel amp and turn the high pass filter on. Let's say this filter is set at 80Hz. Now everything from there up will be heard through the drivers, but nothing below 80. The infrasonic is the same thing. It will block frequencies below a set point to avoid dmamging the driver. When you play a driver in a vented enclosure you run the risk of losing cone control if playing frequencies below the tuning. Now I have never had this problem with any driver just playing normal music. But that does not mean you will not. Test tones are a different story. I myself like to tune my enclosures as low as possible, so this is never really a problem for me, but a lot of the common pre-fab boxes are tuned rather high (35-40Hz), and you can damage the driver playing them below tuning.

So, if you have a Magnum D2 in a 4 cube enclosure tuned to 30Hz, you would set your infrasonic around that point to avoid playing anything below 30.

This is not something that is a necessity for all applications, but rather a precautionary measure.

Now about that flux capacitor.................... :blink:

http://fordexplorer.net/viewtopic.php?t=54...38c61577367f8ff

check it out. so far there's 55908 views on that thread. The Flux Capacitor kid turned out to be rather famous. ;)