Jd377

Should I upgrade?..

Alright so I just purchased a Sundown Audio SAX 1200d about a month ago and I have it running on an 18" Fi SSD and.. Yep its not enough bass for me obviously. I already planned on upgrading subs eventually but I just purchased the Sax 1200 so I most likely won't be upgrading amps for a while. So... If I buy a 18" Fi BTL and I only have this sax 1200 for a while ( Probably 6 months or more) will I even notice much of a difference in performance as in being louder just from switching to the 18 btl since it is still the same power source (amp) running the new sub.

Like will the BTL be louder on the 1200w then another 18 ( ssd )on the same 1200w.. I mean I'm putting basically 1000-1200w on the ssd from time to time since its fully loaded and a big ported enclosure.

( And i'm not stuck on getting the Fi btl 18, Another question I have is should I get the Fi btl 18 or SSA Xcon 18 or even an AA sub or something? I haven't heard an xcon so I don't know how it compares. Can I get some opinions on which is better and why PLEASE!) and yes I'm sticking with 1 18" :D

:ughdunno:

What is it that you are expecting for bass output?

What you have should be pretty impressive unless your going for 150+db.

BTL has more motor force. If cone area, power, install are same, then BTL would be louder because of more motor force. I don't know about night and day though.

What is it that you are expecting for bass output?

What you have should be pretty impressive unless your going for 150+db.

that's what i was wondering. lol

i have a 15" SSD fully loaded on a 1200d also. i know once a make a box a bit larger it should get a little louder but as of now it's plenty enough for daily.

good luck on your decision!

I would try to hear some of those subs you mentioned in real life, should give you a better idea of what you're looking for....XCON and BTL are pretty different from what I've read... Have you considered the BL? Are you set on keeping 1 18"?

Edited by bimmerboy

BTL has more motor force. If cone area, power, install are same, then BTL would be louder because of more motor force. I don't know about night and day though.

Um, no.

In theory the BTL would me more loud.

Um, no.

Well, I would think that if you had an SSD on 1200 watts and a BTL on 1200 watts then wouldn't the BTL be louder due to the fact that the BTL is built to have more output in general?

No. IT all comes down to efficiency here. The only way to get louder is to increase power, displacement, or efficiency. The other driver will need to be 3dB more efficient, or he'll have to double power, or double the cone area for him to notice an audible difference.

Simply switching drivers may meter higher, but without one of the 3 above variables changing, he won't notice a difference.

No. IT all comes down to efficiency here. The only way to get louder is to increase power, displacement, or efficiency. The other driver will need to be 3dB more efficient, or he'll have to double power, or double the cone area for him to notice an audible difference.

Simply switching drivers may meter higher, but without one of the 3 above variables changing, he won't notice a difference.

Oh alright. Gotcha.

Sorry I was at work...

Ok so yeah basically I want like so much bass that I have the ability to turn my stereo to 30/50 and my eyes start watering Lol. And yes i know I cannot get that outcome realistically with 1 sax 1200.. But I will upgrade the amp in the future as well, just for the time being I am only looking to upgrade the woofer itself.

It looks as if the Btl has overall more output than the xcon but everyone seems to go crazy for the xcon so I just want to know if there is some reason it would be better than the BTL.

-- And no I would rather not get the BL. If I am going to upgrade that high i would rather just get the BTL and then I can't be like crap I should have got the btl instead..

If you end up going the BTL route don't go about cranking the gains on the Sundown just because the BTL can take more power than the SSD. I am sure you knew that I just figured I would throw it out there. In terms of it being louder to the ear, I don't think you will notice it until you up the power. I went from a DC Level 3 15" to a DC XL 15" on the same amp for a while and if anything the XL sounded a tad big quiet, due to the fact it was barely moving on a 1000 watts.